The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

The Yamaha CS-80 is a polyphonic analog synthesizer released in 1976. It supports true 8-voice polyphony (with two independent synthesizer layers per voice) as well as a primitive (sound) settings memory based on a bank of micropotentiometers (rather than the digital programmable presets the Prophet-5 would sport soon after), and exceptionally complete performer expression features, such as a layered keyboard that was both velocity-sensitive (like a piano's) and pressure-sensitive ("after-touch") but unlike most modern keyboards the aftertouch could be applied to individual voices rather than in common, and a ribbon controller allowing for polyphonic pitch-bends and glissandos. This can be heard on the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis, in which CS-80 is featured prominently; the 1980 theme tune to BBC sci-fi show Doctor Who; as well as the composer's soundtrack for the film Chariots of Fire. Production of the instrument ceased in 1980. Vying with the Prophet 5, and OB-X polysynths, the CS-80 is regularly described as the pre-eminent polyphonic analog synthesizer manufactured,[1][2] and commands amongst the highest prices of any polyphonic synthesizer so far made.[1]

Discussions

Moog One

Just a participatory post. Ordered a 16 Voice, will be interested in trying out some CS-80 tricks by layering two 8 Voice synths together. I know on the main panel you can select which of the three synths the controls are affecting, wonder if you could multiselect?

View Post

Moog One

...almost everything including some very rare birds.. My One is now sitting at the center of my studio next to a CS80, a P5 rev 2, Memorymoog, Model D Musonics, Prophet VS, Sunsyn, Synthi A, Oberheim TVS, Buchla 200 etc.. and it is holding its own against all these fine synths that I have bought...

View Post

Poor man's version of a Yamaha CS-80?

I did actually edit my answer to make a bit more sense xD But you beat me to it.

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?

Video Guides