The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Need A Little Light - MixOff
Old 11th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Hey guys. This is from an artist I helped out sometime last year. I produced and mixed it.

His name is Johnny Helm and he's a great singer songwriter.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnn...3899022?ref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/johnnyhelm?fref=ts

Johnny Helm - Johnny Helm

Session Files:
http://db.tt/v3weanR9
http://db.tt/ksVbUQaJ
http://db.tt/8VDi68xb
http://db.tt/XHbEAYVR

Mix File:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/py6wmf0tw...%20-%20MIX.wav

Hope you guys have fun with this song.
Old 11th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Heres my mix

Hope you like it

Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Hi! Here's my mix from this cool song!

I had little bit of difficulty to get the last chorus to sound full enough. The early parts of the song were pretty easy. However, I felt the transition to the last chorus is probably the most important part of this song and was crucial to get it right. The singer kinda reminds of Seal (I've been listening to Seal/1994 quite a lot lately)
Attached Files

I_Need_a_Little_Light_SpedeMix.mp3 (6.91 MB, 739 views)

Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortenDK View Post
Heres my mix

Hope you like it

Somewhat a matter of taste, but I felt the lead vocal was a tad thin during the early parts of song. Featuring a bit more low end (and therefore making it feel more intimate) would accentuate the singer-songwriter aspect of the song.

I felt the top end of the hihat was pretty overwhelming during the last chorus. Simply backing down any boost you made to it might make the whole mix more balanced altogether.

Otherwise I felt this a really good mix; you got the transition work really well.
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Thx for commenting Spede
Yea I agree its a taste thing about the vocal. For me more low end on johns voice. Equals more boxiness rather then intimate.
I wanted a "leaning" into the beat feeling that is why Im accentuating the high hat, which will give you a more driving feel. Rather then a kinda layed back programmed feel. Thats why the high hat is a little bit more upfront.

I like your mix a lot!, tho as I mentioned above the vocal sounds boxy in the beginning. And the drums sound a little too programmed for my taste in the last chorus.
Old 13th September 2013
Gear interested

I had a quick go at this song. I have to say I enjoyed working on it.

Old 13th September 2013
Lives for gear

Archive "I Need a Little Light - BPM 107.part02.rar" fails CRC check.

** NVM - Downloaded again after a bit and all is well. Sorry.

Last edited by RRCHON; 13th September 2013 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Correction.
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Archive "I Need a Little Light - BPM 107.part02.rar" fails CRC check.

** NVM - Downloaded again after a bit and all is well. Sorry.
Works fine here and everyone else seems to have no problems. Try again and lemme know if it's still giving u problems.
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Old 17th September 2013
Gear Head

One mix more.
Thank you for the tracks.
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Nut

Hi!

My mix of this beautiful song!

Thanks for listening!

Feedback welcome!
Old 6th January 2014
I've downloaded and will start work right away!
A.
Old 9th January 2014
Well recorded, well performed and a good song. I wonder why more people haven't done this one.

Anyway, here is my go.
Some good mixes here. No compression on the mix bus for me. Comments welcome.

Temporary link:
http://we.tl/PPMHQH4Wbo

Thanks,
A.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Head

Hello!
Nice mixes everybody and very cool song!

Here is my version!
Attached Files

I Need a Little Light.mp3 (5.96 MB, 406 views)

Old 14th January 2014
Gear interested

Hi,
Great song. Was a pleasure to mix.

I used this mix to auditon the Solid State Logic Duende Native channel plugin and the bus compressor plugin. I can really say that I now "get" why peoply find them so musical.

Almost all channels have been processed using the SSL channel strips. The vocals where processed with a virtual LA-2A. Reverbs where SSL Duende Native X-Verb.

Anyway, this also means I was experimenting outside the plugins I am used to so I hope people like it. I'd be interrested in your opinions.

Regards,
Arian.
Attached Files

Last edited by MrPrince; 14th January 2014 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: something wrong with the bottom end of the mix... quick edit
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

Hello again!

I updated my version a little bit and I moved the project to a friend's studio where I had the chance to put the mix through a TC Electronic Finalizer (great gear btw!). All master bus compression and EQ its done by the TC. I kind of fell in love with this unit and I am really considering bying it myself, so tell me what you think! Thanks!
Attached Files

Last edited by Johnkaf; 15th January 2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Wrong file
Old 18th January 2014
A beautiful song!

Here is my mix: I Need A Little Light V2.wav

Click the "Download" button on the box.com page for the uncompressed file.

I used only the original tracks - no samples or substitutions.
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

Great Song

Hi Mattski. I am late.

Thanks a lot for let us try to mix this amazing song.

Here is my attemp, Hope you like.

Any feedback will be welcome.

best Regards.

Javier Ramallo.
Attached Files
Old 20th January 2014
Gear interested

Not a lot of people taking the effort to give feedback. Here are my 2 cents.

I took some time to listen through all the mixes and typing some thoughts, so I wasn't able to be extremely polite. All these words are only my opinion and I am in no way an extremely experienced mixing engineer. I just worded what got my attention and in most cases (small) problems get my attention sooner than something that is absolutely beautifull. This is not meant to discredit your mixes.

- Original Poster:
I don't know how rought this mix was. I needed to turn up the sound a lot... I liked the sound and the punchyness of the snaredrum. Also, the piano fitted exactly right.

- MortenDK;
It sounds a little thin both on the guitar and the vocal, so this is probably something in the master section. The (slide) guitars sounds very spacy; beautifull. The wurly is a little bit hidden... asks some attention but is too far away. Bass drum may be a little hard right before the drums kick in full.
All in all, in my opinion, there is some roundness missing... some warmth...

- Spede
I like the "dryness" of the vocal. Very well balanced. The first half is very intimate, the end is really loud. The drums really come out great, but I'd think there is too much difference between the first part and the final part; maybe put a master compressor on the whole (although that could very well be left to the mastering engineer). In the last "yeah" the slide guitar is crowding out the vocal... that was a little distracting. All in all I like it very much.

- Joey.coldweather
Track was unavailable.

- iamkimosabi
Track was unavailable on soundcloud.

- mik123
start of the song was off center balanced. That disoriented me a bit. Vocal was very hard and reverb was a little unnatural because it was so "off" the "feel" of the rest of the instruments. Vocal EQ gave me a little "lo fi" feeling. It realy sounds as if the singer is in another room. The filling instruments (slide / electric guitar) are placed left right in a good way. The floor tom is very loud and jumps out unexpectedly.
The "sound" of the drums is nice, but again, as in the case of the vocals, it sounds as if it is in yet another room. Somehow this should be glued together more.

- alexvdbroek
file was not available

- Johnkaf (first try)
I like the troathiness of the vocals but in all fairness it is a little bit too much. The delay is nice but a few words are distracting; in an unlimited time-budget you might try to automate the level that is sent to the delay.
The sound is a little grainy... I can't decide wether or not it might be a downsampling artefact or if it is something in the reverb... maybe not playing nice with the delay?
The bottom end may be a little boomy. And I think it's triggering something of a comp to do a little pumping.
Drums sound exciting in my opinion.
There is one e-guitar that is a little loud and distracts in the final part of the song.

- MrPrince (my own mix, after leaving it alone for a few days and comparing it to your mixes)
I didn't like the plectrum sounds on the guitar... it's still there but not as annoying as I remember. The vocals are not as loud as most of the other mixes. I wonder what others think of this. The overall level of the first part of the song is lower. Some of the instruments may have been EQ'd too heavily and lost their natural sound. The hihat solo is too low in the mix.

- Johnkaf (second try)
I think there is some more balance... in the end it still sounds a little thin to my ears. The bass drum sounds great. I can hear the compressor pull the vocals down sometimes. When the drums kick in something happens that changes the sound alltogether... not in a good way... it sounds a little harsh.

- Simon Morrison
I love the way the guitar sounds. Slide guitar is a little loud in the beginning. In this mix, as in mine, the vocals are a little bit more in balance with the instruments... just a litte less loud than the rest. The opening of the wurly was a little "outerworldly". I liked it, but it was a little bit "different". The shakers were a litte loud in my taste.
As the instruments start to add up around 1:55 the voice gets drowned out. Some instruments are too well defined. Maybe compress the individual instruments? I liked the way the synth effects/pads sounded. At 2:50 the guitars are too loud...

- Javiramallo
Good balance between guitars and vocals. The instruments and vocals are very well balanced. Maybe the wurly is asking for some more, but that's about it.
In the middle section something "strange" is happening to the kalimba, but that may have been on purpuse. It sounds off to my ears though.
In the end the bowed piano is not working that great. The mix could have been a little more "exciting" here maybe with a little bit more compression.
In the end mixing is about getting balances right and only after that making it so special that it gets noticed. That's why I think I like this mix best.

Regards,
Arian.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear interested

Old 22nd January 2014
Here for the gear

Nice to know that you liked MrPrince... And thanks a lot for take time and effort to give feedback.
I really appreciate.
best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrince View Post
Not a lot of people taking the effort and the tito give feedback. Here are my 2 cents.

I took some time to .......................................

- Javiramallo
Good balance between guitars and vocals. The instruments and vocals are very well balanced. Maybe the wurly is asking for some more, but that's about it.
In the middle section something "strange" is happening to the kalimba, but that may have been on purpuse. It sounds off to my ears though.
In the end the bowed piano is not working that great. The mix could have been a little more "exciting" here maybe with a little bit more compression.
In the end mixing is about getting balances right and only after that making it so special that it gets noticed. That's why I think I like this mix best.

Regards,
Arian.
Old 26th January 2014
Gear Head

Nice Song!

Here is my mix. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Files
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Head

Old 26th March 2014
Gear interested

Old 7th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I need a little light.

I bought a new system for my studio, needed something to mix, this was a good recorded and well played song, made it fun

Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Attached Files
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

v2
Attached Files
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search