The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Work in progress
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Work in progress

This is a rough mix of a song I co-wrote with a female vocalist. I'm thinking of adding more layers and some real drums. What do you think it needs? Thanks!!

PHP Code:
[ATTACH]203034[/ATTACH
Attached Files

01 Heartbreak Rampage 4.mp3 (5.00 MB, 1322 views)

Old 11th November 2010
Gear maniac

Hmm.. some guitars?
Definitely some kind of Bass.
Her Vocals are kind of muddy.
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Actually you did exactly the things I was going to suggest you should do. I was thinking you could do with a synth pad to occupy the top-end and a bit of percussion. You brought them in at around 1.02. Well done!

The verses feel a bit long though. I think you could add a bit of novelty to them a bit sooner. Just some small bit of electronic percussion or something. Anything really.

I don't hear real drums on this track at all though. I advise against it - it's got a real Human League/Ladytron/Komputer feel to it and I don't know what you have in mind there with real drums. Also kind of reminds me of a guy who recorded under the name Laptop in the early 2000s. Did a song called "Nothing to declare" and another called "I'm so Happy you Failed". I think real drums might actually kill the vibe.

I'd like to hear more of the chorus. I think you could have at least one more chorus, probably two. It feels a bit verse-heavy and the chorus is so much stronger and more individual than the verse.

Plus you've got a lovely hook in that flattened-third-note descent at the end of the chorus line (all those "me" "-ese" "ee" sound endings). You should make a bit more of that particular bit of melody if you can. That for me is the real high-point of the song. Maybe double the vocal an octave up, or add a megaphone effect backing mirroring it, or echo it on a synth or something)

Normally I wouldn't say this, but I think you could actually let this track pump a bit. A bit more wooziness, queasiness, craziness, phasey-ness.

VERY nice though - I like it and I normally hate this kind of thing! I'd go all out for retro synth craziness on it.

Minor issue, but I'd agree with the poster above - it does feel like it ought to be a bit brighter.
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys, we've got to retrack the vox. We tracked them as scratch tracks and they were muddy from the start; I had her too close to the mic and didn't spend any time on pre/comp settings. I tried to fix it with eq and some subtle effects, but I couldn't fool you guys.

I'm definitely not turning this into an organic rock song, but I'm thinking drums might make it a kind of hybrid, and I would keep the electronic percussion for sure. I would make the drums as 80's-sounding as possible.

Binarymilton, I am very intrigued by your comments about the chorus. We were thinking the verse was stronger! You've got me thinking about the structure. Anyway, I will keep these things in mind as we tweak it. Thanks again!

Last edited by Core; 11th November 2010 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search