The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your Low End Mixes (Official - other threads will be removed!)
Old 27th May 2017
Here for the gear

I have lots of opinions! but I am not an expert..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
This is going great, thanks everyone for sharing your work!

I've only had one short comment about my mix. Come on, let me know how crappy it is! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5923143-post11.html

I posted notes about how low-end badass I am.

I look forward to reviewing more of these when I am at home with good speakers =)

I like the over all song. The chords the lyrics are decent. I can see where you are going with this, not a terrible thing at all.

things to think about...

it sounds a little dry, like it could use a touch of delay or reverb. to expand the sound.

also the guitars sound like they went direct into the board. that is a personal pet peeve of mine. again I am sorry to say any of this. I am personally a thin skinned baby.
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Worst attempt to rick roll someone ever.
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear

Below is a link to a Youtube playlist of the record I just released this week. It is 100% homemade, I used Logic Pro X as the DAW, Avid Eleven Rack as audio interface and amp simulator for both guitars and bass, SSD4 Black kit for the drums, and all native Logic plugins + some Slate digital stuff.

The Masquerade
Old 30th May 2017
Golden Death Music - Loooooooow End Setup Results

Hello everyone!

Here is my most recent song (other songs and albums are available at my bandcamp site, all for free/pay if you want)

It was recorded with a Tascam UH-7000. All mics were purchased for $25 or less at the local used musical instrument store (Peavey Celebrity Dynamic, Audio-Technica, Electro-Voice N/D, etc) Drums are a mix of Addictive Drums 2, a hand drum, and a tambourine. Electric Guitar a Godin Richmond Dorchester Electric recorded direct (TC Electronic Grand Magus Distortion into an ART Tube MP preamp into the Tascam). Bass and synth sounds are a combination of a Clarinet (pitch shifted) I found at the pawn shop for $15 and a free monosynth vsti. Cables are all custom made Canare wire with Neutrik connectors. Everything was recorded in the most recent version of Reaper. This is all set up in the kitchen of my studio apartment with no sound treatment whatsoever

Hope someone out there enjoys! There is a lot more at http://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.com if anyone is interested
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic View Post
Hello everyone!

This is all set up in the kitchen of my studio apartment with no sound treatment whatsoever
I don't know what the above ten minute piece of shoegazer psychodelia is about, but I just listened to your Hopeless Games on youtube and was in the zone for the whole song. Composition, mix, execution all A1 man. It's radio friendly and there is so a market for pieces like this. If you haven't got one already, start looking around for an agent. Your album covers on Bandcamp are awesome too.

You'll have plenty of time for the ten minute opus when you're rich and bored and famous. BTW, reshoot the Hopeless clip so that we catch Mr Rubbersuit going down the street about his daily business. Organize with your friendly coffee shop owner to let you queue, have a chat with Ol' Willy/ Doris on a park bench, pat a dog - the point being the suit is so incongruous that any public interaction is of interest. What isn't of much interest is the guitar, tamborine dance bit. Everything else is a hit. Oh, the Golden Death Music name - careful you don't end up with Marylin Manson goth discards as your fans. Perhaps try a new name?

Last edited by Ghosty Dog; 30th May 2017 at 07:43 PM..
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostandi View Post
Below is a link to a Youtube playlist of the record I just released this week. It is 100% homemade, I used Logic Pro X as the DAW, Avid Eleven Rack as audio interface and amp simulator for both guitars and bass, SSD4 Black kit for the drums, and all native Logic plugins + some Slate digital stuff.

The Masquerade
I just listened to the first track and the title track..the only thing that struck me was there's (IMO) way too much "air" under it. Too much reverb maybe? Otherwise I didn't hear anything to suggest changing.
Old 31st May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I just listened to the first track and the title track..the only thing that struck me was there's (IMO) way too much "air" under it. Too much reverb maybe? Otherwise I didn't hear anything to suggest changing.
Thanks for the feedback bill5. Hope you enjoyed the songs, it's been a lot of fun working on them!
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

You're quite welcome. PS, "way too much" may have been an exaggeration as well - ramping it down just a notch might be plenty Or it could be something else, or it could be fine and never mind all that lol - just my impression
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostandi View Post

The Masquerade
I like the songs and the videos!
Drum sounds might afford more midrange pressure.
I'm using SIR with short impulses, typically "bedroom", "coffin" etc.
(easy to find libraries, e.g. David Glenn uploaded a very big one for free)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Have another mix.

The drums and guitars were recorded at the same time as the last mix I posted, vocals were recorded a week ago.

I tried to take on board all the advice I was given here previously re vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/projectmay/ne...st-mix/s-PjCdq

There are some things wrong with it. The kick is fighting something which I need to figure out.
The hi hat kills my ears still. In the last mix I automated a de-esser but I wasn't completely happy with that, any suggestions as to how I can deal with this? The hi-hat was not close miced so it's all through the overheads/room mic.
Need to figure the fx for the middle 8 section.

Any other constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'll play.

The drums were tracked with an assortment of cheap mics in an un-treated cinderblock basement through a Tascam US-1800. The vocals were cut with a CAD M179 through a MPA Gold (which is currently for sale ) into a Delta 1010lt.

The DAW is Reaper. If I used any plug-ins, they were free (and I did use a few plug ins).

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is apiece of my "low end" work. ( hell, all my work is "low end" ) Demo for a local band. drums and guitar recorded in a local club using a Mackie board and the standard set of Shure drum mics that clubs have. Guitars are mic'd with 57's except the lead which is an AT 4033. Bass is direct Vocals and overdubs are done in my home studio using a AKG 220 and a Tascam Interface into Cakawalk Sonar Piano is the Addictive Keys VST

Band are local guys (and girl) with day jobs, a lot of fun to work with:

https://www.facebook.com/followthebuzzards

Comments?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister View Post
I'll play.

The drums were tracked with an assortment of cheap mics in an un-treated cinderblock basement through a Tascam US-1800. The vocals were cut with a CAD M179 through a MPA Gold (which is currently for sale ) into a Delta 1010lt.

The DAW is Reaper. If I used any plug-ins, they were free (and I did use a few plug ins).

This track rocks, man! Listened to it 3x. I mean this completely as a compliment: it has this early/mid 70s meets early Grunge 90s vibe. Like if you mixed Blue Oyster Cult and some Black Sabbath with early Soundgarden. It has that "garage polish" if that makes sense. Good songwriting!

Seriously, if you haven't already, you might consider contacting some of the music licensing companies in LA and NYC about having them check out this track and any others like it that you have. Songs like this are being used quite a bit in TV commercials right now and the sync fees can be pretty good ($500-$5000+), depending on the brand and usage. Plus, you get your Performance royalties on top of that as well, usually.

Thanks for sharing your work!

- Skylyter -
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks! I would love to get this out more. We have no idea who to contact about licensing who would take us seriously. If you have any leads, I'm all ears!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

NEW BEAT I COMPOSED AND MIXED IN FLSTUDIO 12 / LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ! PEACE

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys I’m a third-year university student and I have released a single as part as my dissertation project for my final year and part for the criteria is to receive feedback on it, so any help would be much appreciated
Here is the link to the you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXKGzozeLw
Also on Spotify I tunes apple music and all other major download and streaming platforms
thanks in advance
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Revisited "Chosen" by Jeris Cole.
(public mix-off, 44 tracks provided by David Glenn Recording.)
Thx for any comments or questions.

Attached Files

Chosen%20P.mp3 (6.35 MB, 179 views)

Last edited by NeoVXR; 1 week ago at 04:14 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Really well done.....to my tastes I would try a little more high end on the vocals and perhaps drums to brighten up a bit, but that's very minor. It has a really nice "presence," pops right out at you.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

What cool thread. I've got something to contribute, too.
It's a little instrumental song I wrote a while back. Everything you hear comes from Plugins included in the Cubase Pro Package (except for 50% of the drums, which come from a free plugin by Sennheiser and Neumann to promote their microphones).

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Got a good live recording.

Bosso Poetry Company - Dusty's Bar, NE Minneapolis

Bosso poetry night at Dusty's takes place the 2nd Thursday every month. The evening alternates between poetry and live music. On June 8th, a friend asked if I had a mixer he could use to run sound. All that was needed was a very basic PA, but I figured if I was bringing anything, it would be a good chance to record something interesting. I went prepared to mic up a full band, but didn't know what the music entertainment was going to be. Turned out to be all solo performers. Tracked on a Focusrite 18i20 into Reaper on my (8yr old!) laptop. Main vocal mic was an sm58 (it's what they wanted), and an md421 was used as a secondary for instruments or a 2nd vocal. Also had 2 DI's for acoustic guitar and keyboard.

This one turned out so clean, I couldn't help but play with adding some "production". Not that the performance needed any help. Pretty amazing. Venus DeMars is a long standing fixture of the Minneapolis glam scene, who has in recent years been performing more solo acoustic shows.

It doesn't really feel "done", but wondering what you all think so far. I uploaded the rough mix with minimal fx for your comparison.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nice recording, although tbh I prefer the unmixed version. The mixed one has too much reverb or whatever IMO and it took away the clarity of the orig. I think perhaps something half-way between the 2 might be the optimal middle ground.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nice recording, although tbh I prefer the unmixed version. The mixed one has too much reverb or whatever IMO and it took away the clarity of the orig. I think perhaps something half-way between the 2 might be the optimal middle ground.
Thanks for the feedback Bill. Have to say I agree. I just had to do some experimenting with all those fx.

Here's a couple more. 10 year old Georgia Ross on a ukelele opened that night, then J Keyser, another amazing singer/songwriter closed. It was a challenge taming the piercing bell tone of a 10yo voice when she got loud. Mr. Keyser's DI had issues so I tried to rescue the guitar from a mic not actually aimed at it. It gets kind of noisy, but great material. I'd post some poetry but it was all original, and I haven't got permission from anyone to share yet.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR View Post
Revisited "Chosen" by Jeris Cole.
(public mix-off, 44 tracks provided by David Glenn Recording.)
Thx for any comments or questions.

Very nice. I like the vocal reverbs, the lightly sprinkled percussion, the guitar just rings beautifully. How did you record the guitar??
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

bill5
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by deberney View Post
Very nice. I like the vocal reverbs, the lightly sprinkled percussion, the guitar just rings beautifully. How did you record the guitar??
thanks so much for the comments!

I'm not Mr. Jeris Cole, I didn't produce it, it was just mixtracks that Mr. David Glenn had put up on his portal.

on the previous thread page there is a bit more on the mix history. some raw mix to listen also.

yeah I might look into the vocal and drum sounds if there is still something to gain in the upper midrange or presence range.
those tracks aren't too bright and have some artifacts that might come up when I go beyond the current level.

guitar work by the artist was very nice. I used roth-air on most of these, except solo, there I played with the lagrange, and some "marshallizer" setting of some other toy.

main part of my undertaking was to explore the myriad of freeware plugins, and to find out, which ones are actually of competitive use.
vocal verb is stacked. there is a SIR impulse with a "booth" sound, a delay, heavy HF damping with TDR nova, and then OrilRiver for the deep filling.

Last edited by NeoVXR; 4 days ago at 08:46 PM..
Old 3 days ago
GDM - Killshot (one man production)

Below is a link to my most recent song. I have a very low end setup in terms of microphones and the actual space I use (the kitchen in my studio apartment), but I'm pretty happy with the results I get out of it.

I do everything from writing the songs to the final mixing/mastering.
This particular song features a kawai k-3 synth, violin, clarinet, acoustic/electric/bass guitar, tambourine, and programmed drums (Addictive Drums 2)

I have a Tascam UH-7000 interface, with all Canare cables. I used an MXL R-80 for the voice, Nady RSM-5 for Acoustic, an old Audio-Technica handheld condenser for harmony voice, and an off brand SDC Electret condenser for the tambourine. Electric and Bass guitar were recorded direct into an ART MP Studio preamp (The UH-7000 has no hi-z input). DAW was Reaper, with Adobe Audition used for the final limiting and normalizing.

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.com/track/killshot

All the songs at the bandcamp site linked above are free to download/pay what you want. Hope someone here enjoys!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic View Post
Below is a link to my most recent song. I have a very low end setup in terms of microphones and the actual space I use (the kitchen in my studio apartment), but I'm pretty happy with the results I get out of it.

I do everything from writing the songs to the final mixing/mastering.
This particular song features a kawai k-3 synth, violin, clarinet, acoustic/electric/bass guitar, tambourine, and programmed drums (Addictive Drums 2)

I have a Tascam UH-7000 interface, with all Canare cables. I used an MXL R-80 for the voice, Nady RSM-5 for Acoustic, an old Audio-Technica handheld condenser for harmony voice, and an off brand SDC Electret condenser for the tambourine. Electric and Bass guitar were recorded direct into an ART MP Studio preamp (The UH-7000 has no hi-z input). DAW was Reaper, with Adobe Audition used for the final limiting and normalizing.

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.com/track/killshot

All the songs at the bandcamp site linked above are free to download/pay what you want. Hope someone here enjoys!
Very cool! Kind of a U2 + Inxs vibe but heavier/darker. Damn, I'm impressed with what you've acheived with your setup!

..ant
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
Very cool! Kind of a U2 + Inxs vibe but heavier/darker. Damn, I'm impressed with what you've acheived with your setup!

..ant
Thanks so much for listening! I've been at this for quite some time and pretty much have no audience these days so I greatly appreciate the positive feedback. Yeah, in really happy with the uh-7000 though. I've used every brand of interface under the sun really and this one is perfect for my needs and sounds great. (Second favorite would be Steinberg mr-816). I've found the brand of cable can really make a big difference too (I like canare and evidence audio)

Anyway, thanks again and all the best to you and your own music!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search