I just wrote, played (all instruments), recorded, mixed and briefly mastered this song over the last 2 days and have come to this mix down... And I'd just like to hear your opinion and what to improve (soundwise of course)...
Drums - sampled (drumkit from hell)
Bass - Fender J-Bass -> DI
Guitars - Hughes&Kettner Triamp -> Triamp 4x12 box -> 3x SM57 at different positions...
Another layer of guitars was made through Guitar Rig 3. I used two different sounds through the normal amping (both double-tracked), and two different sounds through GR3, also both double-tracked. So that's 8 guitar tacks, panned hard LR.
Vocals - in the beginning 1 track center with a bitcrusher so it distorts like it does, and two tracks panned hard LR but whispered and high-passed radically. I guess that's why it's hard to understand... I'll try to make it more intelligible! Thanks for the feedback!
I sampled the drums first and made a scratch track of the whole song in a few minutes... just cutting and pasting of guitar riffs... Then I recorded the 4 GR3 rhythms, then the 4 layers of the miked amp (with my amp and guitar in the control room, so I could work with Cubase all the while I was recording), Then came the bass through DI, after that I recorded the vocals (also from the control room, just put some curtains around and some foam in front of the mic). That was one day... The next day I recorded the lead guitars, made a rough mix, used a ton of compressors and **** and just popped an L2 on the stereo buss. That's that. heh
I agree about the guitars... The vocals, I can't help... These are practically scratch vocals recorded in a not so treated situation, so this is natural reverb, could not get rid of it... Thanks for the feedback!! heh