The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song

I've recorded a short song in a pro studio with lots of nice gear: Coles 4038 (drums, electr. guitars), U87 (vocal, acoustic guitar, drums room mic), RCA (drums overhead).

it's a chilly song in the vein of Velvet Underground or The Growlers, i've been told – it has a modern poppy melody with naturalistic sounding tracks: ac. guitar (an old gibson), electric guitar (silvertone and tele into fender amp, spring reverb recorded), tape delay, bass DI into neve preamp, drums mainly recorded in a retro way, RCA mono overhead, coles 4038 as side micros (beneath the floor tom and the hi-hat) and to otari tape machine. there's just 20 tracks, the essentials.

unfortunately time was running out and the session ended without mixing. i'd love if some of you guys could give it a shot! just as YOU hear the song! i'd love to hear different versions of it: i love tape delay, psycadelic accents, plate reverb ... but it doesn't have to be a lo-fi retro thing – it could sound modern with retro elements or like a today radio single. there's only real instruments on it.
downside: i am no drummer and had to drum it myself, so the drums ain't perfect, especially the hi-hat could have been played waaaay smoother.

i've mixed it myself, but i ain't going to give it to you! 'cause i don't want to influence you – you got total freedom!

here's the zipped updated dropbox link (the first link had some mistakes on some tracks):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzqctphmh0...ixOff.zip?dl=0

i attach some pics, so you can smell the session vibe ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song-tape.jpg   MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song-elgt.jpg   MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song-drums.jpg   MIX OFF: Retro Garagey Pop Song-acgt.jpg  

Last edited by zinzin; 1 week ago at 10:00 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Just a heads up, you have the drums baked into the Gtr Lead and Gtr Rhythm track.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by btreim View Post
Just a heads up, you have the drums baked into the Gtr Lead and Gtr Rhythm track.
oh sh... gonna revisit that. thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
oh sh... gonna revisit that. thanks.
No problem! Cool song, look forward to taking a crack at it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
just checked the tracks: i hear the drums baked in the "ElGtLeadColes" and "ElGtLeadRoom" but not in the ElGtRhy guitars. you shure? will re-upload the 2 lead guitar tracks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
just checked the tracks: i hear the drums baked in the "ElGtLeadColes" and "ElGtLeadRoom" but not in the ElGtRhy guitars. you shure? will re-upload the 2 lead guitar tracks.
Ah, nope you're right! Just misread the track name.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, nope you're right! Just misread the track name.
ok, i fixed the tracks and uploaded the whole session again. sorry for the inconvenience ...

i re-posted the new, correct dropbox-link in post #1 . also, here it is again:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzqctphmh0...ixOff.zip?dl=0
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Great sounding tracks and a cool song! Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
Great sounding tracks and a cool song! Thanks so much for sharing!
thanks. did you mix it? everybody welcome to put their producer-hat on and make it their "own"!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Interesting song! Reminds me of the Shins mixed with Pinback. Here's a late night mix - had some fun trying a new technique. It's first song I've mixed in over 2 years, so thanks for providing a great song to work with!
Attached Files

Garage_MixOff_chkm8.mp3 (7.43 MB, 782 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkm8 View Post
Interesting song! Reminds me of the Shins mixed with Pinback. Here's a late night mix - had some fun trying a new technique. It's first song I've mixed in over 2 years, so thanks for providing a great song to work with!
thanks for your mix! a very clean, radio-friendly mix. hearing my "low" vocal that lonely in the mix makes me feel so vunerable ... shoulda have sung it again with more balls ;-)
although i would suggest the vocal 2 hi overtaking in the pre-chorus: it would give more verve to that section.
thanks again for taking the time!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Here's a quick stab I took this morning. Very cool song, thanks for posting it!
Attached Files

Retro_Mixoff_BT.mp3 (7.25 MB, 724 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quick stab I took this morning. Very cool song, thanks for posting it!
enjoyed it a lot - thanks! it sounds really warm and round!

ok, i give you a hint: in the prechorus the vocals should really change. the hi vocal becomes the main vocal. at least it sounds better to my ears.

but really don't hold back - gimmie also out-there weird versions. distortion, delays, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for sharing! Here's where I stopped at. (Sorry if I got your artist name wrong lol)
Attached Files

RGPS_MixOff_FaysalSultan.mp3 (7.40 MB, 723 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faysal View Post
Thanks for sharing! Here's where I stopped at. (Sorry if I got your artist name wrong lol)
hey, that sounds very interesting! love what you have done with the vocals. and the distortion on the guitars. maybe a bit too compressed overall for my taste but i do really like this version - thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Cool song! Here's my organic retro mix.
Attached Files

zinzin-2017-08-09-olli-h.mp3 (6.92 MB, 551 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
Cool song! Here's my organic retro mix.
thanks! i especially dig the snare - exactly my cup of tea! did you re-record the electric guitar fill in the prechorus? i like the noisy slide in.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
thanks! i especially dig the snare - exactly my cup of tea! did you re-record the electric guitar fill in the prechorus? i like the noisy slide in.
If you mean that lead guitar track where drums audible: just a bit saturation + hi-pass+lo-pass+eq + parallel distortion.
That slide is just a fade-in. I muted the most of it just to give more focus to that special riff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
If you mean that lead guitar track where drums audible: just a bit saturation + hi-pass+lo-pass+eq + parallel distortion.
That slide is just a fade-in. I muted the most of it just to give more focus to that special riff.
yes that, like it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like the song, so here's something quick and simple that I did. It's more like a rough mix than a finished mix.

-Danny
Attached Files

mixoff dannymix1.mp3 (7.39 MB, 474 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I like the song, so here's something quick and simple that I did. It's more like a rough mix than a finished mix.

-Danny
thanks - like how you gradually bring in elements to build it up. you're richt: it sounds raw ;-)

after hearing the vocal rather naked in all the mixes, i believe i should re-record them, they don't sound very good (the lo vocal).
otherwise i'd like the vocal really swamped in distortion/slapback/delay/leslie/whatever.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well probably people are leaving it fairly naked as they like it like that.
Perhaps the words are getting a little hard to make out later in the tune, but otherwise I like the vibe of it.

Really enjoyed having a go at a mix...thx.

Oh....Just a little bit of leslie in this one.
Attached Files

The_Shea_Wav.mp3 (5.95 MB, 444 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Well probably people are leaving it fairly naked as they like it like that.
Perhaps the words are getting a little hard to make out later in the tune, but otherwise I like the vibe of it.

Really enjoyed having a go at a mix...thx.

Oh....Just a little bit of leslie in this one.
doh! leslie! and shakers! :-) i like some of your arrangement changes. the dark drums are an interesting touch, although they would sound better with maybe at least the snare a tad brighter. the leslie voice is really great. and the ending!
the balance of the vocals sounds perfect.
thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ooh....that shaker and tambourine got away from me a bit.....should have left it overnight and listened with fresher ears this morning.
Glad there was something in there you liked though and thanks for the feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Oh that was fun! What a nice song.

I mixed for about 2,5 hours and this is the result. I tried to make it a little bit more modern sounding, with a large stereo image (the material was begging for it really). I spent much time with the drums (as a drummer myself that's always my starting point for mixing). And I couldn't resist playing with the panning of the vocals. Haha. It's just how I heard the song. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35...ew?usp=sharing

//BerlinStold
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinStold View Post
Oh that was fun! What a nice song.

I mixed for about 2,5 hours and this is the result. I tried to make it a little bit more modern sounding, with a large stereo image (the material was begging for it really). I spent much time with the drums (as a drummer myself that's always my starting point for mixing). And I couldn't resist playing with the panning of the vocals. Haha. It's just how I heard the song. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35...ew?usp=sharing

//BerlinStold
one can hear you spend time with the drums - they sound very good. did you gate them?
i like the panning! thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
one can hear you spend time with the drums - they sound very good. did you gate them?
i like the panning! thanks.
Nope. That would kill some useful depth in the mix. Your recording is very fortunate to have those many different drum mics and positions. I was able to use certain frequencies in every track that had something special about them and combine them into a complete sounding set. The rest is the magic of EQs and some (virtual) tape distortion mixed with the original source, to give it some warmth. Some compression on snare and bass drum, too, but very gently applied. No other tricks used. :P
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Attached Files

Garagey Pop Song [Mix-Off].mp3 (7.12 MB, 241 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley C View Post
superwide and hi-fi mix - not a fan of this style, but def a pro mix and very interesting to hear such a variatoon of the song. thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Thank you @zinzin, great stuff!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search