The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm New at Recording. Can Someone Critique my mix?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm New at Recording. Can Someone Critique my mix?

Hi everybody!

I'm not sure if the is the right forum to post this in, but I was wondering if some kind people could critique my mix. I recorded myself playing acoustic. I use Logic. I used reverb effects for bus 1 and bus 3. I copied the entire track so I had 2 and then made one hard left and the other hard right. I also used a compressor and channel eq but I just went with the defaults and didn't change anything on them.

I used the Scarlette 2i2 interface plugging my guitar directly in to input 1 while using an AKG990 condensor in input 2.

This is my first ever finished recording using Logic so I'm sure I made some mistakes. If you guys could let me know how I can prevent these mistakes or how to fix them I would appreciate it! I'll be releasing another one of these arrangements shortly and more in the future so I want the mix to be it's best.

Here's a link to the video to listen:

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Very quick reply: if I close my eyes, I like the recording, though it can be improved. The accompanying video is jarring when I listen: you're sitting at water's edge, but there is no ambiance (even a little). Does the marine location relate to your song somehow? If so, include a little of it.

Left/right panning of the recording doesn't match what your hands are doing in the video, i.e., string hits occur hard right, but they're far left in the video. Get the picture (pun intended)?

(Also, props for courage on posting your work!)
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks. Yeah I'm still learning this stuff. Thanks for the advice though. Hopefully my next project will be better. I'm in the mixing process now. I'll post it on here when it's ready for more suggestions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search