The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Critique my mix please
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear
It's abrasive/pointy/harsh for such smooth music. It sounds like you focused on trying to make the instruments sound clearer by boosting the presence but put too much energy into the upper mids and eliminated the mid-bass. A lot of it is probably because of the room. It sounds exactly like what you describe; like I'm standing in a small room with sheetrocked walls and an area rug while you're playing a drum set next to me. That probably led you to try and remove the room ambience by cutting the mid-bass and then because you mixed in the same room what you heard on the speakers prompted you to boost the upper mids or maybe a high shelf with the cutoff point in the mids, because it didn't sound crisp enough. The result is no ambience to warm up the transients, and all the other instruments adjusted to sit in the mix with that. On top of that you probably mixed at a lower volume because you read on GS that would help remove the room from the equation, so you made the mix sound too loud and aggressive to compensate for that as well.

The music itself is great and you're very talented, I'm impressed there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
This is my first ever contribution on gearslutz and what a pleasurable way to kick off. Great song, performances. On first listen on earbuds, nothing stuck out. Balance great. Stunning vocals, enhancements would be dusting, lead could be more upfront with ear rings, exciter, ambient patch. Doubles great, Sweet drums. Other Ideas: Sense of a back wall and height, even though you're after an intimate kit - a subtle mono dark plate for depth on kick,snr. Bass limited saturated more. Acoustics: I might retrack with 2nd mic on bridge? a bit of delay and pick deessing? Cheerio
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I like it.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search