The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Being a fan is crucial (blog)
Old 26th July 2020
Being a fan is crucial (blog)

Happy Sunday, Gearslutz! I wrote an article for my blog about something I've thought about a lot over the years. If there's one attribute that unifies every single world-class musician I've ever had the pleasure of working with – actually, every single creative professional I've ever met, regardless of discipline – it's fandom. They/we are all passionate fans, fearlessly loving the stuff we love, whether it's Charlie Parker, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Legend of Zelda, or Star Trek. Musicians I've met who weren't fans of music first have always been held back by it, and the (thankfully brief) times in my own life when my fandom has lagged have led to my own frustration and creative drought. I hope this can serve as helpful advice to folks just getting started as well as an important reminder to seasoned professionals!

Here's the link.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great @ Progger piece as there are so many forces that make people forget to be a fan, such as play counts, followers, views and not-so-ironically they can all be bought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

hm...

i know a few artists (very few though) who are so deeply self-referential or solitaire that i cannot call them 'fans'.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Someone calling their band 'Ceiling' could end up being a lucrative marketing decision on the back of the ongoing appeal to its followers of the simplest and most obvious running gag.
Old 23 hours ago
Here for the gear

Cool work, I liked it
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear