The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A letter to future gear slutz.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

A letter to future gear slutz.

Hello friend,

You do not know me but I wanted to write to you to give you some friendly advice from someone who joined this crazy scene a year ago (at the time of this writing). I want to explain a tiny bit about who I am, how I got into this, some words of warning, and where I am going from here.

A little about me, I'm in my late 30s, divorced with kids. I have a good job and have been blessed with expendable cash to fuel this hobby. I was a percussionist in middleschool/highschool, but after moving a few times as a child, lost my drum set, my interest, and had no friends that were into any of this. I still had a friend from far away that was into music and we would share techno/trance/dnb tracks built on ReBirth (303, 808, 909 emulation) in the 90s, but with changing interests and growing up, we soon lost contact.

Fast forward to a little over a year ago. My 10yo daughter told me one day she wanted to be a DJ. Happy to encourage music and starter digital decks not costing much, I bought her some turntables and access to music. However she touched these only a handful of times and I noticed she was more drawn to the overly simplified beat making apps on iOS. We discussed this and I realized she wanted to make dance tracks and just thought thats what DJs did.

I did some research (and found this site); I picked up the Uno Drum and Uno Synth for her and tried to teach her some of it but found myself playing with them a lot when she wasn't around. I added a circuit to see if she would like that. I decided I wanted to get back into creating music and added a midi keyboard to the mix. Before long I realized I needed to get better at the technicals of playing keyboard (never played besides messing around on my grandmas player piano, trying to mimick what the neat rolls of paper were doing). I found a few apps that would help with this. By this point my daughter still played on the ipad but wasn't really using these new toys.

As I was beginning to plan a 2 week trip away with the kids, I decided I needed a second midi keyboard that was a lot smaller and portable and I bought a Korg Monologue after reading up on it. At the local store, I also let the guy convince me to get an MPC Live. I don't recall if I were actively posting here yet but I was definitely catching the gear addiction.

I took these things home and despite not having fully wrapped my head around either Uno yet, I now had 2 new instruments to play with. I didn't really have my own samples so I found the MPC Live to be not a lot of fun and returned it for a TR-8S. I used the drum machine and the Monologue for awhile, all continuing to watch youtube videos and reading this site when I came to the conclusion that I really needed the Akai Force based on all that was promised (PS, don't buy gear on promises as a general rule). The splice integration on the Force really opened me up to easy access to samples and I found the workflow to be kinda fun. When we finally went on the trip I took the Force and a midi keyboard with me. Of course I had to buy bags and decksavers for everything to keep it nice.

After returning from the trip, I realized I didn't need the TR-8S, but couldn't return it as the return window had closed. So I sold it back to the local store at a loss, effectively brand new. Lugging around the giant Force, not quite seeing the promises come in, and trying to use it plugged into a wall outlet at a laundry mat made me realize i would enjoy the mpc live for its "portability" (its still a large device). I also ordered the OP-Z for that portable fun. I decided to keep the Force because I really wanted the promises to come true.

Having not even really making more than loops, I decided I couldn't make a song without a daw. So I bought Ableton Suite, a push 2, and a new laptop. I picked up some nice monitors and I ordered a $2k studio desk to have all this stuff. I also grabbed an audio interface so I could plug these toys in plus an expansion so I could have 16 in, thinking I was going to hook the unos, the mpc live, the force, the monologue, and other things I had been eying in.

Having heard demos of the DeepMind, I picked up a rack mount DeepMind 12. I got a Sirin. Now I was set. I was going to make amazing music. I don't think I ever plugged in the unos ever again but after feeling the pain of the loss on the TR-8S, I just kept them. I also added a SP 404A, so I could get those great FX and make some lofi music.

I didn't have the full sonic catalog I wanted though, so I bought a Streichfett without ever hearing one. I added a blofeld. Of course I needed more FX, so I got an Eventide Eclipse.

I still wasn't fully covered though and spent some time considering the Integra7. When the Fantom8 came out, I was so excited. I could have 88 fully weighted keys and all of the integra sounds!? Hell yes. So I bought that and a stand. I added the MC101 too, because once you spend that much money, its easy to justify another $500 for your mobile rig. It would pair so nicely with my MPC Live I told myself and it did.

Being tired of opening Ableton just to mess around, I got it in my head I needed a mixer. I did a lot of research here because I didn't want to buy something and have to replace it later when I needed more. So I picked up the StudioLive 32SC (it can be rack mounted for mobile use!) and the 32R for the extra ports. Why would I want to spend time messing with cables I told myself. This way I could just keep everything plugged in and use what I wanted. I added an ART T8 because the SP404A could get really noisy from ground loops I assumed.

At this point, I had spent over $25k USD in less than 6 months on brand new gear. My income wasn't that disposable. I wouldn't consider anything I've done to be "finished" and I've shared nothing I have made with anyone but my kids. I barely touched the Unos, the Monologue, or the 404A. I took me 2 months from purchase to open the Blofeld. I found a Linnstrument I forgot I purchased and never openned.

And I still wanted more. I decided at this point to get smart and to stop buying new gear if I hadn't sold old gear. So I sold a lot of stuff. KeyStep, SP 404A, Blofeld, KeyLab 49 mkII, Uno Drum, Uno Synth, Scarlett OctoPre, Scarlet 18i20, Monologue, Streichfett, and the StudioLive 32R. I bought a Digitone, Digitakt, and an Analog Heat. After the MPC update without a Force update, I sold the Force in Frustration with Akai. I added a new keyboard stand. And just last week I pre-ordered a Waldorf Iridium (which I either need to cancel or sell some more things to cover).

Laying in bed this weekend listening to music, I got frustrated with myself and my decisions, so I decided to write you this letter. I want you to understand how quickly this can balloon. I wanted to write down some advice, not just for you, but for me as a reminder of what I am doing. (Also ****, I just remembered the midi fighters I bought. And the Mic. And the field recorder.)

Some thoughts/lessons learned:
* Start a spreadsheet and keep track of what you buy and when. Whenever you get GAS, look at the list.
* Don't buy more than one toy at a time. It's hard enough to go deep on one thing, you will never go deep when you have multiple distractions.
* If you're going to buy new, keep the receipt and set a reminder when you only have a week or 2 to return it.
* Be realistic about what you're going to do and what you want to achieve. Don't buy a bunch of gear for gigging if you haven’t finished a track.
* Buy most things used. Getting something new and then selling it will often only get you 50-75% of what you paid back.
* Stop reading the thread on people's slutty setups. Some of them took 20+ years to get that stuff and they learned it and played it. They got it over years of learning and playing and growing their skills. They've used it all to its depth. Buying the gear doesn't make you great. That thread will just push your GAS into high gear.
* If you buy something that sonically or functionally covers something else you own, if you are sure you are keeping the new thing, sell the old thing immediately.
* Setup rules for yourself right now about how much new money you are willing to spend per year and stick to it. New gear tends to come out twice a year so don't blow your whole wad in January.
* Setup rules about your personal space too. If you have to go get something off the shelf to use it, it probably will stay on the shelf. The one-in, one-out rule is good for this.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the gear doesn't make the music. You do. Some gear can help you achieve new things. But that is not often the case and you just want the new shinny thing.

I hope this helps you on your journey. This is by far the most fun hobby I have ever had when I'm not beating myself up for my mistakes.

Last edited by 0mega; 16th June 2020 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Tweaks based on feedback below
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
OK, interesting ......

You didn't tell anything about:

And how well have you learned piano/keyboard now?
Have you explored some new chord progression?
Did you recognize the funk of 1/16 grooves?
What melodies did you create?
What scales do you like?

best regards
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Nice story, ironically it seems your daughter Was the wisest by deciding on making her music on the iPad! GAS can be terrible, specially if you have cash to burn. But ultimately it seems you’ve learned your lesson which is more than most of us here can say!
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
And how well have you learned piano/keyboard now?
Have you explored some new chord progression?
I can play two handed (chords on left, melody on right) for a lot of simple music. Depending on the complexity I can hit 90% of the right notes first pass. Effectively this means all the chords need to be in C Major or A Minor Scale, although I can handle other chords after a tiny bit of practice.

I am still pretty terrible at telling you what line/space correlates to what note. I mostly just know things like "the second line from the bottom on the treble clef is my pinky when in C position". I think this is why I can play decently enough because I can connect the visual to the fingers without the brain getting involved. Of course I can count it out (C, D, E, F, G ... okay so thats a G) but music goes too fast for my brain to work on that.

I probably spend half of my time in my studio trying to play other peoples music and the other half making melodies and chord progressions just based on what sounds good (with enough theory knowledge to do okay).

As for chord progressions, I spend a decent amount of time away from the studio reading on theory mixed with learning about new scales and popular chord progressions. I can't sit down and improvise anything amazing right away but I stumble my way through well enough.

Quote:
Did you recognize the funk of 1/16 grooves?
What melodies did you create?
What scales do you like?
When playing for fun, I've stumbled into plenty of famous melodies by ear. Lately, I have been playing a lot in the minor scales as the covid lockdown doesn't feel very Major for me. Any of my own melodies you wouldn't know since they have never been released

Most recently I have been playing around with different pentatonic scales I read about. I like the mix of simplicity of reducing the notes I have available with the challenge of making something that sounds new and interesting.

I can't play piano well enough for anything that requires a lot more than 1/8th notes to be honest. The percussion background makes the more complex rhythms not so bad (who doesn't love some super fast triplets) but I tend to keep anything that complex in the drum machine. Generally the music I make is on the chill side of things.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
Oh, I thought you forgot the music.
You've done some serious work.

I think we nearly all have the problem that we think new gear makes better music.

But your gear catalog is really impressive.

best regards

PS:
And your daughter?
Did you spark an interest in really making music in her?
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Nice story, ironically it seems your daughter Was the wisest by deciding on making her music on the iPad! GAS can be terrible, specially if you have cash to burn. But ultimately it seems you’ve learned your lesson which is more than most of us here can say!
Ya know, I forget the app, but its a handful of predefined rhythms and simple melody creation. Its more like twisting a few knobs, sorta like the T One (I think its called) that loopop had a video for recently, but with some simple synth sounds in the same app.

But yeah, she doesn't care that its generic sounding for the most part. She still makes a ton of new "songs" (they are really just loops). Maybe even 1 in 10 actually have a cool vibe to them. But she doesn't have this weird urge to be "professional" about it and use the best gear to be "the best". She's just having fun. I could learn a lot from her
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Nut

best. post. ever.

with the exception of the kids/divorce - and add a few years - I find myself in much the same situation... $2k in Gibraltar DJ rack parts and hundreds of dollars in Decksaver covers...
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
This Is a great letter to the future you / us. The synth impetus for me was starting classical piano lessons. I blew through the first book and caught up to my kids and wanted to started making electronic music again like I used to , but this time with the ability to play some keyboard. It has been really hard to plug the holes in my musicianship. I can play increasingly hard classical pieces, but that progress is a tiny part of the whole picture.

My current goal is to “write songs”. This is much different than playing songs on sheet music. I am making progress, the songs are getting less bad, but you don’t just get automatic linear improvements from time invested. My piano teacher is great at teaching piano, but seems to be missing the chip for teaching songwriting, so I am on my own there.

I should have stopped after I bought a nice pc and audio interface and a nice midi controller, since i already had an electronic piano for the kids practice and a couple of mediocre uprights at different locations. I have way too much gear, DAWs, and I can barely write a coherent tune much less one that I can sell.

The only thing that saves the whole project is that I have learned discipline and i spend many hours a week practicing piano as if I were a 12 year old, i do recitals with the kids, and I try to create a practicum for songwriting that allows me to break it down into skill development chunks instead of expecting to just poop out finished songs. So I will get some where in the next ten years, if I keep working.

But yes all I needed was FL studio, Arturia V, Roland A70.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh, I thought you forgot the music.
You've done some serious work.

I think we nearly all have the problem that we think new gear makes better music.

But your gear catalog is really impressive.

best regards

PS:
And your daughter?
Did you spark an interest in really making music in her?
I don't know if it will stick. When she came over after I had just received the digitone and digitakt, she wanted to see what came in the boxes. I put up a loop I was working on and I turned off the melody (leaving her some chords in C Major and a baseline plus the drums from DT) and she spent an hour trying to make a melody with "the white keys". But she didn't ask again after that to use it. I think the immediacy of the simple ipad app has her pulling back from this.

She did ask for Piano lessons so once the world opens again I am happy to pay for those.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya know, I forget the app, but its a handful of predefined rhythms and simple melody creation. Its more like twisting a few knobs, sorta like the T One (I think its called) that loopop had a video for recently, but with some simple synth sounds in the same app.

But yeah, she doesn't care that its generic sounding for the most part. She still makes a ton of new "songs" (they are really just loops). Maybe even 1 in 10 actually have a cool vibe to them. But she doesn't have this weird urge to be "professional" about it and use the best gear to be "the best". She's just having fun. I could learn a lot from her
There’s a lot of fun to be had with the iPad! May I suggest you take a look at Korg’s Gadget, and the Samplr app, they’re just great. Also, if you have a class compliant audio interface, you can hook it to the ipad (with the camera connection cable) and use an app called AUM as your mixer/multitrack recorder. It’s awesome.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
There’s a lot of fun to be had with the iPad! May I suggest you take a look at Korg’s Gadget, and the Samplr app, they’re just great. Also, if you have a class compliant audio interface, you can hook it to the ipad (with the camera connection cable) and use an app called AUM as your mixer/multitrack recorder. It’s awesome.
I have a k-mix over here that I was going to sell (which is yet another thing I forgot about in my list) but it can be 8 in and 8 out. Its yet another thing where I told myself it would be super nice to have for my mobile setup/gigging lol. The things I convince myself of so I can buy new gear.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

It’s all part of the ride! Lol. It’s fun, especially trying out new gear and then eventually understanding what it Is you really need to complete your vision, and really those few pieces alone.

The most serious musicians I know who actually write And Record then release tons of music haven’t bought gear in years. These guys are practicing, studying theory, and becoming better engineers. The most creative brother I know uses a multi track recorder and a few instruments.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

What's worse is cleanup time when you decide to downsize and have to deal with buyers. God speed when doing that. It can go surprisingly well but then there are the dark times.

One time I had to sell vehicles before a major move. One car I sold to a couple Russian mobster types who came over from the east coast to pick it up for their boss who was going to give it to his girlfriend. That went smoothly. Another car I sold to a lawyer in Texas who wanted it shipped. Every little thing where he thought something could go wrong, he reminded he was a lawyer. It was a 500+HP car and I highly doubt the pipsqueak could even handle it. That taught me to accumulate cars (used to be a hobby working on them).

Synths are theoretically easier to sell, but there is the high volume downside if you've accumulated a lot of equipment (gulp... I never learn).
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
What's worse is cleanup time when you decide to downsize and have to deal with buyers. God speed when doing that. It can go surprisingly well but then there are the dark times.

One time I had to sell vehicles before a major move. One car I sold to a couple Russian mobster types who came over from the east coast to pick it up for their boss who was going to give it to his girlfriend. That went smoothly. Another car I sold to a lawyer in Texas who wanted it shipped. Every little thing where he thought something could go wrong, he reminded he was a lawyer. It was a 500+HP car and I highly doubt the pipsqueak could even handle it. That taught me to accumulate cars (used to be a hobby working on them).

Synths are theoretically easier to sell, but there is the high volume downside if you've accumulated a lot of equipment (gulp... I never learn).
I used to be into cars and racing but it is 50X more expensive and slightly more dangerous, so I am winning by losing smaller
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

I read the whole OP and you know what I think?... "He didn't mention selling that Linnstrument, but said he has to sell more stuff to fund the Iridium. Is it the 128 or the 200? I wonder if he lives anywhere nearby?"

But the very point of the thread is not to think like that! You think you've considered a piece of gear thoroughly, and you've rationally put the idea aside because you don't really need it. Then, all it takes is a passing aside, in a warning thread no less, to start the mind a-turning again. Oy....
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

I @ gminorcoles wish I knew people like you.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
I read the whole OP and you know what I think?... "He didn't mention selling that Linnstrument, but said he has to sell more stuff to fund the Iridium. Is it the 128 or the 200? I wonder if he lives anywhere nearby?"

But the very point of the thread is not to think like that! You think you've considered a piece of gear thoroughly, and you've rationally put the idea aside because you don't really need it. Then, all it takes is a passing aside, in a warning thread no less, to start the mind a-turning again. Oy....
Lol. Its the 200. I haven't opened it yet I really don't want to part with it. Part of the "disease". I'm in the Washington DC region btw
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm saying don't look at the old timers with the amazing stuff and think you can just buy a bunch of stuff and be incredible.
Does anyone actually think this?? I mean anyone other than the OP...
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

My addendum for the kids of the future music generation:

LIFE IS FOR LIVING SO PLEASE DO IT NOW, DON'T REGRET A DECISION, DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AT THAT EXACT MOMENT AND LIVE IT THERE AND THEN AS YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK, MONEY IS NOT TO BE WORRIED ABOUT UNLESS YOU HAVE NONE, AT WHICH POINT PLEASE BE FRUGAL AT ANY OPPORTUNITY.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
do the letters 'tldr' mean anything to you? ok, no, being bad... i came back to re-read, having skimmed through down to this bit. going singing round a camp fire with an MPC Live, yada yada, skipped all that, but then in fact it turned out you just bought yourself a load of toys on mail order - *because you couldn't get your kid into an UnoSynth and UnoDrum* ? man, you know what the problem is here: you don't have the passion, so how can you convey it? (to be fair, i bought my kid some stuff, but i don't know if he ever turned it on)

and so to the quote: you tell us about some $25k *FIASCO*, and then - - have the sheer fckn *GALL* to diss other people, who could apparently teach your kid more in an hour than you will in five years.

by the way, in your long narrative, you didn't tell us: why did your wife leave you?

( ) ( we've all been there, so don't start. )

edit: 20 yrs ago, you didn't have an internet - well barely - and the incredible 'mail order' gear we have now was not around. which means someone like you likely wouldn't have heard of a lot of the gear, quite simply, and much less would have scoured the 2nd hand ads, or trawled the shelves of 2nd hand shops, to pay much less than what you'd be asked for now, for the old classics. because we certainly couldn't afford to slap a credit card down, and there were no returns (well if a shop sold you a dud, yes). i say let your girl get to grips with the iPad, and when she wants more, and knows what, then get something. let her explore the principles first, and then present her with something she has to figure out.
Not a fiasco, just a reminder to tap the brakes and look around, and get some perspective, use what you've got, now and again.

I'm just glad he lives a ways away, has the other model, and isn't selling his Linnstrument! In reality, I don't need to learn two new surfaces.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

Growing up I had a natural G.A.S. governor of being poor. My first guitar... in the late 70s, was purchased by my dad for me and the grand total was $40 and that included an amp. It was total junk but we were too ignorant to really know, and I’m sure my father thought that I might abandon it. He was right. Having no one to play with and my Saturday morning summer group lessons over, I just sort of put it away. I learned “Oh When The Saints” which was not very exciting. I was hoping for something more Hendrix like... or at least the Monkees.

When puberty started to hit, I got exposed to some more exciting music and I was happy that the old Crapocaster was still in the basement. G.A.S. was a symptom, but the disease was wanting to explore sound creation and make music. Still, there’s only so much money that can be made by a 14 year old. I managed to get a Big Muff Pi at some point. It was a long time before I got a delay pedal. At one point, my grandmother helped out with getting me a decent guitar. Later all my friends chipped in together and bought a Juno 106. It was around that time that I started saving money to go to a trade school to learn audio engineering. Probably the smartest thing I ever did.

Now I have a good income, but I did get out of control some years back. I didn’t get into any sort of debt, but I ended up with a ton of gear that was unwieldy to use. Physically and mentally. Lesson learned: Don’t buy something just because it’s cool and you have the money for it. I decided that there were definitely synthesis types and character styles that I wanted covered, so I worked on finding the best representative of each one and tried to not double up too much. I’m lucky that I enjoy working with software, because that lets me really have a buffet of everything without having to make space for it. My gear can be focused on the things that software doesn’t do as well.

At least it seems like you caught yourself before you went nuts. I’m sure there are people who get in real trouble with credit card debt. We pay our credit card bill off every month without exception and I never buy on credit. Ever. I’ve set up my budget so that I rely on gift money only. Gear can be seductive, but now I make sure I look at what I have before I buy anything new and make sure I can’t squeeze out what I want with something I have. I almost always can. I wanted a Modor NF-1 a while back and I went though some tutorials step by step and I was able to almost perfectly match the sound with a plugin called ArcSyn. Now the new shiny object is Iridium, but I’ve not really heard anything that I can’t do with other gear and software I already have. This is huge. Always look at what you have before you buy anything new. Sometimes G.A.S. means that you just haven’t played music in too long a time.

On the point of children... I’m struggling with that one too. One boy in my daughter’s first grade class did a drum performance for their year-end talent show. My Name Is Mud, by Primus. He was f’n awesome. Like a prodigy. My daughter likes to fool around and sing, but I see there’s not really any spark or passion. I’ve tried some gentle urging but it’s met by push-back. So, I showed her what was possible and what we had and told her she is welcome to use anything she wanted at any time. That’s where I left it. I’m not going to force her to learn an old song for the sake of learning an instrument. I think that’s a good way to give your child a bad experience with music. It was for me. Now that my studio is out in a living space and not locked away, she can see me doing it. Even if I’m using headphones, which I usually am these days, I always call her over to hear some part of what I did and get her opinion of it. Maybe she’ll never take to it. Maybe she will.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post

The ability to buy something like a Linnstrument and forget about it is a level of illness that I’ve definitely not reached. I’ve made mistakes in buying things that were not quite right for me, but there’s never been a piece of gear that I didn’t open as soon as I can. At Christmas there’s always a delay in getting deep into something because of social and family obligations, but it at least gets unboxed and set up so it’s ready to use the first chance.

I think a Linnstrument is a great thing, but I warn you to go though all the demos. My take on it is that it is very difficult to play well. There are only a few demos where it seemed like the user had a handle on it.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The ability to buy something like a Linnstrument and forget about it is a level of illness that I’ve definitely not reached. I’ve made mistakes in buying things that were not quite right for me, but there’s never been a piece of gear that I didn’t open as soon as I can. At Christmas there’s always a delay in getting deep into something because of social and family obligations, but it at least gets unboxed and set up so it’s ready to use the first chance.

I think a Linnstrument is a great thing, but I warn you to go though all the demos. My take on it is that it is very difficult to play well. There are only a few demos where it seemed like the user had a handle on it.
100%. When someone can play this instrument well, it is incredible what they can do. But you really have to dedicate yourself to it, which I can't do while I am still just trying to be good enough at piano and music theory. My issue with this one is a value problem. I truly believe this will be a hard to find classic one day so selling it at a loss is really hard. But loss aversion is stupid. If I ever really want to learn this thing and truly do it, losing $500 on it won't be a big deal. Certainly if it keeps me from getting something I would use, like the Iridium.

I appreciate your comment. You've helped me realize I should part with this one.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
is THAT what you said/meant?
no, cz we had another one this week... also, you could ease up on the 'old-timers'. you will be amazed how quickly 28-55 flies by.

ok, so carry on, as you were...

$25k, though, man... that's going some. don't get into crack.
Lol, Im in my late 30s bud

I meant people who have been doing this a long time. If you got deep into this stuff at 15 and are 25 today, I would call you "an old timer" given my 1 year of time in this scene.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol, Im in my late 30s bud

I meant people who have been doing this a long time. If you got deep into this stuff at 15 and are 25 today, I would call you "an old timer" given my 1 year of time in this scene.
i wish i'd got into it at 15, would have been just in time.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
100%. When someone can play this instrument well, it is incredible what they can do. But you really have to dedicate yourself to it, which I can't do while I am still just trying to be good enough at piano and music theory. My issue with this one is a value problem. I truly believe this will be a hard to find classic one day so selling it at a loss is really hard. But loss aversion is stupid. If I ever really want to learn this thing and truly do it, losing $500 on it won't be a big deal. Certainly if it keeps me from getting something I would use, like the Iridium.

I appreciate your comment. You've helped me realize I should part with this one.
In all honesty, I’d get rid of it, but also pass on the Iridium until you’ve exhausted all the possibilities of what you have.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
I @ gminorcoles wish I knew people like you.
You are probably being sarcastic but I am just a nobody loser who comes here for the socializing. I recall thinking your posts are usually well thought out and I agree with them.
I probably shouldn’t post so much but I try to keep my opinions in my lane, and the lockdown has me a bit stir crazy.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Dang dude, you have spent a s*** ton of dollars on all this stuff and 99% of it looks like a waste of money. Good post though to let others know not to go down that road. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you've made good music with gear. Talented people can make great music with the most minimal of gear, so thanks for reminding us to focus on the music and not to worship the tool.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

This just made me look at my gear and what I've got.

I've bought - didn't like - and sold a few along the way, so I counted up what I've spent over the last ten years and considering what I've lost by selling, what I'm left with now then adding in DAW upgrades, VST Upgrades and purchases etc.

All in all I've spent about a full 2.5 weeks wages a year on this on average(over 10 years) I would say, but I don't drive a flash car, own a motorbike or have any other expensive hobbies(apart from a little record collecting), but I'm really happy with my gear I have now and selling has very much calmed down to near zero/purchasing has slowed too and heading close to zero.

I've got one thing on pre-order and waiting on a cheap release with space reserved for both then no more plans apart from use what I have. I've learn't the hard way - but I think I've been quite carefull also. 1 in 1 out too mostly.

Old 15th June 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
My 10yo daughter told me one day she wanted to be a DJ. ....

...I spent over $25k USD in less than 6 months on brand new gear.
So you hijacked your daughter's dreams.

How did your daughter end up after all of this? Did she ask you what happened to her $25,000 college fund?

I'm only poking fun. But damn. You make this seem like a drug addiction.

It started out with you wanting to make your daughter happy. Return to that and none of this will bother you anymore.

Next thing you know your daughter is going to tell you she wants to be a doctor and then she's going to give you the bill for medical school

$25,000 will sound like chump change at that point.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear