The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Confession time, too much time in studio (hobbies Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Head

Thread went south, please delete.

Didn't work out

Last edited by topaz; 13th March 2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Didn't work out
Old 16th February 2019
I can think a few things that have helped me.

Consider getting a pet, if you don't already have one. Pets are great companions and return the love you give unto them. Caring for your pet demands time an attention and can help to balance your time throughout the day.

Physically leave the environment that's causing the stress for a while. Take a trip to the mountains if they are nearby or to a lake or park. Spending time outdoors with nature and sunshine can bring a lot of relaxation. Breathe in the fresh air, listen to sound of a running stream or the wind as it moves through leaves.

Meditation. It can be a great source of peace and tranquility. You may need to do a little research to find out what techniques will result in the greatest benefit for you.

Health and well being. Eat healthy foods, avoid fast foods and junk food. Healthy food will enrich your being with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Develop and incorporate exercise in your life. Make it part or your daily or weekly routine. Don't drink alcohol in excess. Remember the old saying? You are what you eat. What you put into your body can have a positive or negative effect. Bad food and excessive alcohol intake is poison for the body.

Finally: Don't Worry Be Happy! Like that song that was played on the radio long ago. Excessive worry can have a negative impact on our mental health.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers!
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Head

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

I do most of these (have dog etc) the problem is all this is alone. Alone in the studio and alone doing all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

Consider getting a pet, if you don't already have one. Pets are great companions and return the love you give unto them. Caring for your pet demands time an attention and can help to balance your time throughout the day.

Physically leave the environment that's causing the stress for a while. Take a trip to the mountains if they are nearby or to a lake or park. Spending time outdoors with nature and sunshine can bring a lot of relaxation. Breathe in the fresh air, listen to sound of a running stream or the wind as it moves through leaves.

Meditation. It can be a great source of peace and tranquility. You may need to do a little research to find out what techniques will result in the greatest benefit for you.

Health and well being. Eat healthy foods, avoid fast foods and junk food. Healthy food will enrich your being with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Develop and incorporate exercise in your life. Make it part or your daily or weekly routine. Don't drink alcohol in excess. Remember the old saying? You are what you eat. What you put into your body can have a positive or negative effect. Bad food and excessive alcohol intake is poison for the body.

Finally: Don't Worry Be Happy! Like that song that was played on the radio long ago. Excessive worry can have a negative impact on our mental health.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers!
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Totally get it. I used to tour a lot and was very extroverted and bouncy. These days I spend 12-16 hours in the studio every day and have definitely become more introverted. It's truly a blessing to be able to create music for a living and I love it, but rut's can happen. It helps that my Wife and Kids are around to keep me sane, but I've also spent weeks alone in the studio with family out of town.

My advice is to find something to work on with your hands (woodwork, welding, auto work, underwater basket weaving) something that requires physical work and gives you a sense of satisfaction when it's complete. Even if you suck, it's going to relive stress and you will get better at whatever catches your interest. I personally love going out and mowing the lawn or building a desk or changing my brake pads. Hunting and fishing are great too if you are in an area where that is possible.

Hobbies are essential if you do what would otherwise be a hobby for your full time job, like music.

Also, force yourself to be social. Go to some lame parties or shows. Just be around people. You don't need to force interactions, just go where people are and be part of a crowd. Enjoy a football game at the pub, interactions will happen and it can help.

Keep your chin up, you will be alright!
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Head

Thanks so much for the tips ;-)

Yesterday I drove around various garden centers and purchased a load of containers, organic soil (not enough) seeds etc to start an organic vegetable garden.

I figured it was a way to at least get me out of the house.

The social thing is going a bit harder living in a new area and not knowing anyone but am working on that.

Again thanks for caring to reply.

Cheers
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
Totally get it. I used to tour a lot and was very extroverted and bouncy. These days I spend 12-16 hours in the studio every day and have definitely become more introverted. It's truly a blessing to be able to create music for a living and I love it, but rut's can happen. It helps that my Wife and Kids are around to keep me sane, but I've also spent weeks alone in the studio with family out of town.

My advice is to find something to work on with your hands (woodwork, welding, auto work, underwater basket weaving) something that requires physical work and gives you a sense of satisfaction when it's complete. Even if you suck, it's going to relive stress and you will get better at whatever catches your interest. I personally love going out and mowing the lawn or building a desk or changing my brake pads. Hunting and fishing are great too if you are in an area where that is possible.

Hobbies are essential if you do what would otherwise be a hobby for your full time job, like music.

Also, force yourself to be social. Go to some lame parties or shows. Just be around people. You don't need to force interactions, just go where people are and be part of a crowd. Enjoy a football game at the pub, interactions will happen and it can help.

Keep your chin up, you will be alright!
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear
Great to hear! And yeah, I know that moving to a new area can be hard socially, just try to go where people are and stuff might develop.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Find a woman to marry with, have children and you'll never ever have to warry about social anxiety.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Head

Poor advice, I have been married for 18 years and have a daughter the same age.

I know people that have lots of family and friends who have social anxiety.

It's not as binary as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Find a woman to marry with, have children and you'll never ever have to warry about social anxiety.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz View Post
Poor advice, I have been married for 18 years and have a daughter the same age.

I know people that have lots of family and friends who have social anxiety.

It's not as binary as you think.
It's not a poor advice, if done right. Family is key in anxiety, but, depends how close you are with your family. If there is not enough love...yeah, it gets complicated.
All things considered you probably need a change in your habits of some sort. So, explore more, you talk about social anxiety, hence start being social, as social as you can be, if this is the problem. You need to invest time and efforts to make it happen, figure out what you crave for and do it, it's really that simple. You make it complicated in your head because mentally and physically you are accustomed so a certain routine and the body doesn't like changes, well, as they say...nothing grows in the comfort zone, so step out of it and change habits. It's going to hurt a little, but...has to be done. Your heart doesn't lie, and sounds like your heart is trying to speak to you via this anxieties. So, do what you always do...listen. Cheers!
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Head

Actually I didn't ask for help with my mental health it was more about what others do to get out of the studio.

I know you are trying to help but actually mental health is really is as not as simple as you make out. there are many factors that cause issues with people.

but again this wasn't about that.

Back on topic please. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
It's not a poor advice, if done right. Family is key in anxiety, but, depends how close you are with your family. If there is not enough love...yeah, it gets complicated.
All things considered you probably need a change in your habits of some sort. So, explore more, you talk about social anxiety, hence start being social, as social as you can be, if this is the problem. You need to invest time and efforts to make it happen, figure out what you crave for and do it, it's really that simple. You make it complicated in your head because mentally and physically you are accustomed so a certain routine and the body doesn't like changes, well, as they say...nothing grows in the comfort zone, so step out of it and change habits. It's going to hurt a little, but...has to be done. Your heart doesn't lie, and sounds like your heart is trying to speak to you via this anxieties. So, do what you always do...listen. Cheers!
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I didn't ask for help with my mental health it was more about what others do to get out of the studio.

I know you are trying to help but actually mental health is really is as not as simple as you make out. there are many factors that cause issues with people.

but again this wasn't about that.

Back on topic please. :-)
For this to work it would need same individuals as you, in same conditions as you. Your needs are yours only. So, what are you exactly asking here? What do you want with this thread? Nobody is in your place, hence nobody experiences what you experience, hence your question is irrelevant, so I obviously got the personal elements from your confession and tried to figure out what could go wrong with you right now. It's really not important what a certain person does to escape from his daily routine, his life, personality, career, age, education, culture, etc, etc are different from yours so what works for him doesn't necessarily work for somebody else. Same situations, but different people react different, 100% of the time. Does it make sense?

So, what is it that you seek? I would like to help, but you have to be open about it. I don't feel like you're open enough. What does social anxiety mean to you? What do you do in this and that situation that you wish to change?
Old 13th March 2019
Get a motorcycle or sports car. The thrills from driving at high speeds is astounding!
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Head

Cheers already have a sports car, biking days are over after a serious accident. still alone and isolated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Get a motorcycle or sports car. The thrills from driving at high speeds is astounding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Cheers already have a sports car, biking days are over after a serious accident. still alone and isolated though.
Well you have to move to London if you want excitement. You aren’t going to find it out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

I think that if you want sth new just try to make something that your former identity didn't think to do at all
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search