The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
$40,000 Later Im board if it all.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

$40,000 Later Im board if it all.

Spent the last 10 years hunting down the best gear for my "guest bedroom studio" Its actually nice.

Now iv started cooking and going to pubs, working on cars. fixing things.

Today I was going to fire up this TR-909 that I refurbished LAST YEAR and never used it. I installed into a mackie 1604 and

and it all just sits.

Cubase is started now, nothing recorded.

My main gripe is making music with all hardware takes SO LONG compared to software.

Second gripe is living FAR RURAL there are no cool guys to jam with.
Making techno, dance, house music by your self is LAME.

I changed to all hardware. Never been so unproductive.
I still spend half an hour a day looking for gear to buy.

Is there some physiological thing when your near 50 years old?
There is no way I could learn N.I maschine, learn a new DAW.

I dont feel I can get better on synth or guitar unless I do it every day.

I sit and stare at a blank DAW every day.
Old 18th March 2018
Can we see some pics?
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Addict
Why don't you just bypass the lot and go back to basics. Sounds like you're addicted to buying/owning the gear rather than using it
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Right there with ya, though more with room treatment and mics . . . not so much electronic. But I'm 65 and three years ago I didn't know what a DAW was. I had a small studio back in 1979, and thought I would never figure out the "newfangled" digital thing. But now, 3 years later, I'm pretty versed in Reaper, and can do some decent mixing and recording.

Ha! 50. Young punk . . .

Oh . . . and as for gear, I have a copy of the Sweetwater catalog in my real workplace . . . lust after gear all the time!
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Just pretend it's a phone book...you will be somebody, and things are going to start happening to you, now.

Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Some of the items I have even bothered to plug in.
There is another wall of analog synths.
Going to get a basket case Juno 60 I think in an hour. works but has cigarette burns and busted toggles.
Guy was "Into punk rock" so has to have cigarette burns all over it to be cool.

Iv spent way more time referbishing gear then using it.
Has the mini moog 100% apart down to springs on keys and grommets and all boards out.
Midi retrofit. Brand new keyaction NOS.
Had the TR-909 as well totally taken apart last year and cleaned every part.
Came from Merle Haggard band mates man they must smoke cigarettes all day.

Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Doing music (even techno) by yourself is not lame.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Music chooses you. If you really want it, you can't help but do it whether you have a Casio or a multi-million dollar studio. Sounds like you aren't that interested in it.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

I used to be. Iv had cubase dating back to an atari version 2.x
I used to run around with a dat recorder and pole microphone and record Foley/car doors slamming.
Iv mastered hundreds of tracks for me and friends.

I keep thinking if I had an SH-101 id be set.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Spent the last 10 years hunting down the best gear for my "guest bedroom studio" Its actually nice.

Now iv started cooking and going to pubs, working on cars. fixing things.

Today I was going to fire up this TR-909 that I refurbished LAST YEAR and never used it. I installed into a mackie 1604 and

and it all just sits.

Cubase is started now, nothing recorded.

My main gripe is making music with all hardware takes SO LONG compared to software.

Second gripe is living FAR RURAL there are no cool guys to jam with.
Making techno, dance, house music by your self is LAME.

I changed to all hardware. Never been so unproductive.
I still spend half an hour a day looking for gear to buy.

Is there some physiological thing when your near 50 years old?
There is no way I could learn N.I maschine, learn a new DAW.

So... 40grand of stuff into a mackie 1604?

Ps - and I’m a total mackie lover, but, um...
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

I have 28 channels into 28 separate tracks into cubase.
The Mackie is for the 909/juno/ overdrive kind of 90s trash project.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

yep, picked up a juno 60, a rack compressor, a rack effects, a rack amp.
$1000
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've spent way more time refurbishing gear then using it.
Nothing wrong with that - some people really enjoy being the curator of a museum - collecting (if you can afford it) can be for some people an enjoyable experience in it's own right.

Some people don't really have anything to say musically speaking but that doesn't mean they can't collect gear and enjoy messing and fixing it up and get pleasure just from owning it.

It takes all different perspectives to make a world.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Yep ordered from syntaur.com the busted parts from the juno.
Guess I'll bang on it for an hour
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Addict

Sell it all to me for cheap and move on with your life.

That would be my recommendation
Old 25th March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
There is always something new to learn with music. The idea is not necessarily to get better, but to find something to play that gets you excited. That way you can springboard off it and create a new song that is your own. Breaking out of a rut is sometimes 80% of the battle.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Well a little weed last night we got motivated.We attempted the 10 channels of the 909 and a mixer.
My 67 year old father has no idea what to do other then mash buttons.
I was on my new rack of effects (all garage sell junk from 80s)
My moog in full riot mode with rack digital processors.

Over all it was dreadful i might upload the track. when I wake up as little more

Last edited by Jaybird; 25th March 2018 at 09:09 PM..
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well a little weed last night we got motivated.
That was going to be my suggestion when you started this thread, but I know it's not everybodies cup of tea. I think I would be twice as far along if I had access to it from time to time. It's part of the reason I got into playing music in the first place.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Head
yeah obviously weed is not always an entirely positive thing but give yourself a day without obligation and a couple spliffs and I guarantee you'll get excited about your room full of gear

don't try to finish anything though - that's for sober times imo
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Addict

Today I have everything I need to make great music. - in my free time all I do is exercise and drink coffee.

I know exactly what you are talking about
Old 2nd April 2018
Quote:
Well a little weed last night we got motivated.We attempted the 10 channels of the 909 and a mixer.
My 67 year old father has no idea what to do other then mash buttons.
I was on my new rack of effects (all garage sell junk from 80s)
My moog in full riot mode with rack digital processors.

Over all it was dreadful i might upload the track. when I wake up as little more

I would love to hear the result !
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear
Hmm...I guess the "build it, and they will come" idea didn't apply here.

Remember, buying gear can be a bit of an addiction. It can become all about dreaming and buying, and actually making music becomes secondary.

Maybe start putting ads in Craig's List and put a recording project together with some other folks willing to drive and lay down some tracks on your cool equipment.
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Head

Hey, being 50 is no excuse! I'm well on that path. What matters is more what you're interested in. If it's not your juice, find something that is. I constantly have to 'fight the dying of the light' as does everyone. Don't get comfortable, stay learning, keep stepping on rakes. Stay in pain. Whatever it is that interests you, do it.
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear

I take mini sabbaticals, it helps.

You have your intense bouts of creativity, then downtime. It's a cycle. I'm looking forward to getting new gear and a new daw to try out. I think I've gotten too used to what I started with.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

After the norcal fires, I had my entire studio moved out. I just got it back in.
I got a used presonious mixer 24 channel its way more logical then a daw controller. channel strips, a second firepod just for my second synth rack.

Even my closet is perfect, its all perfect 36 channels.

Then I scored Komplete ultimate 10 and the matching keyboard for $350

I lasted a few and got crazy boggled down with the komplete kontrol software, it was not intuitive, it was not mapped out to the knobs, it was like a car driving the wrong way.

I need to get back in there,
I think I need to bang out 1 hour with my TR-909, really learning it.

This was so not the kid who started out at age 20 with a single core 512 meg computer with a $40 maudio sound card and $40 USB synth, contacted a few times by directors in Hollywood, nothing big just exchanging film score tracks,

I mean if I was in an area where I could exchange ideas with real music people face to face, exploring some new hardware effect or going to a live underground show.

But no its just me and my dog 50 miles from the closest city.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
After the norcal fires, I had my entire studio moved out. I just got it back in.
I got a used presonious mixer 24 channel its way more logical then a daw controller. channel strips, a second firepod just for my second synth rack.

Even my closet is perfect, its all perfect 36 channels.

Then I scored Komplete ultimate 10 and the matching keyboard for $350

I lasted a few and got crazy boggled down with the komplete kontrol software, it was not intuitive, it was not mapped out to the knobs, it was like a car driving the wrong way.

I need to get back in there,
I think I need to bang out 1 hour with my TR-909, really learning it.

This was so not the kid who started out at age 20 with a single core 512 meg computer with a $40 maudio sound card and $40 USB synth, contacted a few times by directors in Hollywood, nothing big just exchanging film score tracks,

I mean if I was in an area where I could exchange ideas with real music people face to face, exploring some new hardware effect or going to a live underground show.

But no its just me and my dog 50 miles from the closest city.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
,000 Later Im board if it all.-20180804_065718.jpg   ,000 Later Im board if it all.-20180804_065723.jpg   ,000 Later Im board if it all.-20180804_065736.jpg   ,000 Later Im board if it all.-20180804_065757.jpg   ,000 Later Im board if it all.-20180804_130302.jpg  

Old 25th February 2019
Yikes! Glad ya were able to rescue your gear.
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear

I don't see the problem. Just don't use the gear. Take a laptop and work with that. Or a guitar. Just because you own all that stuff does not mean you are obliged to use it. Also, try to think of other things in life that motivate and excite you, maybe the music will come. You said it's just you and your dog out there... Maybe music right now is not on the top of your hierarchy of needs. What other things in your life might need a change?
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Now its 40K in split window vintage buses.
Now I did not sped that, was just kinda a score and it came with two working vintage buses.

I have expanded to 32 firewire inputs, (Still on ebay) and will set up everything again next week.

I had a dream just that I took the TR-909 and the SH-101 (The copy when it comes out) and went on a camping "Trip" and played with a generator in the forest.

Attached Thumbnails
,000 Later Im board if it all.-20190224_174427.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search