The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to Incorporate / Sidechain a Baby Monitor into My Audio Life?!?
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

How to Incorporate / Sidechain a Baby Monitor into My Audio Life?!?

Hey everyone. File this one under the "never thought my life would come to this" section!

I have a four month old daughter, and I'm on wake-up patrol until about 4am while my wife sleeps. It actually works out great, b/c I can work on my music while the world sleeps. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to incorporate a baby monitor into my life?!? Here's my dilemma:

I want to listen to music, audiobooks, etc. from my phone and through my bluetooth headphones. Ideally I want the audio from my baby monitor to come into my ear buds if (and only if) the baby cries out above a certain decibel level. In other words, I don't want to just run it through a mixer and be listening to the room tone from the baby monitor while I listen to the music.

I know that there's gotta be a way to accomplish this that involves a cheap hardware mixer, a bluetooth transmitter and some sort of compressor / sidechain action. Like I put my phone and baby monitor into a mixer, and have the output go into a bluetooth transmitter that I can connect to through my headphones. BUT... the phone track has a compressor on it, and it's somehow sidechained with the baby monitor audio so that when the baby cries out, the audio I'm listening to drops and I hear the baby monitor.

Not even sure that makes sense, but I think I'm close.

I fully understand the compressor / sidechain aspect might be overkill here, but just thinking out loud. If anyone has any suggestions on the best / cheapest way to accomplish any / all of this, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

a baby monitor for deaf parents may be easier, something like this:

https://www.momtricks.com/baby-monit...-deaf-parents/
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsdelaney View Post
Hey everyone. File this one under the "never thought my life would come to this" section!

I have a four month old daughter, and I'm on wake-up patrol until about 4am while my wife sleeps. It actually works out great, b/c I can work on my music while the world sleeps. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to incorporate a baby monitor into my life?!? Here's my dilemma:

I want to listen to music, audiobooks, etc. from my phone and through my bluetooth headphones. Ideally I want the audio from my baby monitor to come into my ear buds if (and only if) the baby cries out above a certain decibel level. In other words, I don't want to just run it through a mixer and be listening to the room tone from the baby monitor while I listen to the music.

I know that there's gotta be a way to accomplish this that involves a cheap hardware mixer, a bluetooth transmitter and some sort of compressor / sidechain action. Like I put my phone and baby monitor into a mixer, and have the output go into a bluetooth transmitter that I can connect to through my headphones. BUT... the phone track has a compressor on it, and it's somehow sidechained with the baby monitor audio so that when the baby cries out, the audio I'm listening to drops and I hear the baby monitor.

Not even sure that makes sense, but I think I'm close.

I fully understand the compressor / sidechain aspect might be overkill here, but just thinking out loud. If anyone has any suggestions on the best / cheapest way to accomplish any / all of this, it would be greatly appreciated!
I have a few of these to watch my dogs, but I got my sister one for a baby monitor and they LOVE it. Great REAL night vision, voice back/forth, motion detection, can see it from anywhere you have cell access. IP camera. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-IP-C...luxy+ip+camera
Old 31st October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
a baby monitor for deaf parents may be easier, something like this:

https://www.momtricks.com/baby-monit...-deaf-parents/

This is incredible and solves all of my problems. Amazing. Thanks so much.

(still kind of curious about my whacky compressor / sidechain idea, but certainly don't need it anymore!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search