The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I think I slept through the "work/life balance" class in school...
Old 1st September 2018
  #31
Gear Addict
 
YourBestFriend's Avatar
You guys are all confused, and looking from too many angles. why dont we all start creating big poop piles and we can grow carrots out of the pooh piles and we can all eat grass and graze until we forget about all this noise and eat happily from carrot hill
Old 1st September 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

I goes to what you value. Western culture is very materialistic. Money equals survival these days so it's a justified pursuit, but it's a primary motivator for some people. The number one regret of those on their deathbed is not spending enough time with friends/family. On a primal level, it's about what is more important to you...love or respect. My favorite word has become "Balance" as both money and enjoying life are important. You can enjoy life without money but you can't enjoy life with just money....

.... although an expensive Jupiter 8 comes close.
Old 2nd September 2018
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
How does it end? I don’t see all of these older, successful, but unhappy people.
Hmm. I think the recent spate of suicides of older, successful but tragically, so unhappy they’re ill people would show you that.

It’s cool, you’re relatively young, probably not married or with kids or with anything. I still think I’m kinda young, and I certainly share some of your opinions, particularly when it comes to getting going and building.

But there comes a point when you realise other stuff is actually more important than the latest placement, mix or session. It’s only recently I’ve started turning work down in favour of family holidays and time with kids etc. Sooner or later - you kind of have to. Otherwise you might get successful in work, but as a person you fail.

But each person arrives there in their own time, and you obviously haven’t yet - and some never do. But I certainly wouldn’t argue they’re the ones who end up most happy.

And fun is most definitely not for kids! Fun is what keeps you young and makes people want to spend time with you. Otherwise - you end up the bore in the corner, married to his work who everyone might think is brilliant but no one really wants to hang out with.
Old 2nd September 2018
  #34
Gear Nut
 

I think the term work/life balance actually describes a combination of a few other issues.

Mainly, I just think a lot of people hate their jobs, and/or have trouble saying no.

I also think a lot of people get on a track in life without having any real focus or vision of where they want to end up.

Being realistic and true to your self about what you want and need in life, and then making sure you get it is critical.

Always remember if you don't set the direction of your life, there are plenty of people that are happy to do it for you.
Old 24th November 2018
  #35
Here for the gear
 

For me the hardest thing is to combine work and relationships. I can not meet a girl when she is comfortable and constantly forcing her to change plans, so we went on a date
Old 24th November 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welles View Post
For me the hardest thing is to combine work and relationships. I can not meet a girl when she is comfortable and constantly forcing her to change plans, so we went on a date
How did the date go?
Old 7th February 2019
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Tulip View Post
It's really a drag to talk so down on "the small things in life". Maybe we can chat again in a few years.
Yeah, let’s talk.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #38
I think finding a work life balance is really important. In the last few years I have started finding my equilibrium.

In my 20’s I used to work 100+ hours a week. I was working on set in the sound department on big union motion pictures and TV series Monday - Friday. I’d get off work around 8am Saturday morning (due to night shoots) sleep for a couple hours and hit the recording studio or load the truck to record theater shows all weekend. I would regularly work up to 28 days in a row before getting 1 day off and then back to another 20+ days in a row. I was young, strong and didn’t need much sleep.

During that time I built a music studio and a voice over / ADR studio. I now work less than I ever have and make more money. My hourly rate for the big projects exceeds what I used to make in a day.

I agree with Desire Inspires that hard work is king but finding a niche and capitalizing on it is the most important part of that process. Knowing where you want to go and working hard to get there is admirable but working hard just to work is not what I want to do. In the film industry I’ve seen people die driving home at the end of a long TV series. It happens in our union every few years. Some of us literally get worked to death.

I now have time for family, friends, networking, etc... Life is finally good and I’m very grateful! All of that hard work paid off.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
Also guys, this is a moment in time thing.

I was a gigging musician trying to "make it" then I got married to literally the lady of my dreams! - had two amazing kids
gave up trying to "make it" and started earning a living as a sideman, music tutor, producer, session player etc bought a house,
bought a bigger house, bought an even bigger house ..... made a few quid, brought the kids up all the usual family stuff.

It was a completely wonderful experience - it still is.

Now the kids are grown up, off to university becoming independent.

So my wife said to me at the beginning of this year, so we're back to when you first met me
with time on our hands .....

Guess you better go back to "trying to make it" (cool lady huh)

So I've got a new band together, I've got the old vocal chords back in shape, I have a couple
of fantastic albums I've written and recorded and I'm getting my second wind .... (yeah I know - open goal for jokes :-)

My point is, life is constantly in a state of re-balancing itself.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Also guys, this is a moment in time thing.

I was a gigging musician trying to "make it" then I got married to literally the lady of my dreams! - had two amazing kids
gave up trying to "make it" and started earning a living as a sideman, music tutor, producer, session player etc bought a house,
bought a bigger house, bought an even bigger house ..... made a few quid, brought the kids up all the usual family stuff.

It was a completely wonderful experience - it still is.

Now the kids are grown up, off to university becoming independent.

So my wife said to me at the beginning of this year, so we're back to when you first met me
with time on our hands .....

Guess you better go back to "trying to make it" (cool lady huh)

So I've got a new band together, I've got the old vocal chords back in shape, I have a couple
of fantastic albums I've written and recorded and I'm getting my second wind .... (yeah I know - open goal for jokes :-)

My point is, life is constantly in a state of re-balancing itself.
I worked on a project for a singer-songwriter type once - he was a musician in his youth, never got anywhere, quit and got into IT. Wrote some hedgefund software, retired at around 35 with a family and enough cash to do what he wanted (houses in the bahamas, Edinburgh and Baker St that I knew of - the baker st townhouse had a decent sized studio in the basement!). Got back into music, and (sensibly) did things properly - hired singing and writing coaches, a producer and engineer/studio (me) to make his recordings, and basically set off gigging again. Will he ever "make it"? unlikely perhaps but he's been having a great time, released several half decent albums, been on tour with The Stranglers and others...who could complain?!
Old 1 week ago
  #41
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I worked on a project for a singer-songwriter type once - he was a musician in his youth, never got anywhere, quit and got into IT. Wrote some hedgefund software, retired at around 35 with a family and enough cash to do what he wanted (houses in the bahamas, Edinburgh and Baker St that I knew of - the baker st townhouse had a decent sized studio in the basement!). Got back into music, and (sensibly) did things properly - hired singing and writing coaches, a producer and engineer/studio (me) to make his recordings, and basically set off gigging again. Will he ever "make it"? unlikely perhaps but he's been having a great time, released several half decent albums, been on tour with The Stranglers and others...who could complain?!
LA is teeming with people like that, either living here or passing through. Most of them suck, as you might imagine, but not all. I think this guy is especially interesting:

https://www.grant-maloy-smith.com

He's been at it long enough that his Alternate Musical Universe is coming pretty close to colliding with the real one.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump