The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
closing the studio for fatherhood,
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
no.

the session starts at 10.00am and runs through till midnite (standard day) and often goes overtime, and sometimes goes till 2.30am or later, and if thats happening 6 days a week, 51 weeks a year for 20 years or more, then there is not a lot of time left for Relationships, women and children.

someone might comment that those hours are unrealistic, but i can assure you that they are. those are the hours i worked.

if you are honest, and tell women, that your studio/recording life is truely what you want to be doing, and that you just dont have Time for other activities,then women (who generally desire children more than other things) tend to move along pretty fast. (even if they like you a lot)

i do know many full time engineers/producers that do have relationships and children, but they dont do the hours, or the durations, and generally dont usually own the studios they work in. Freelance operators who do a gig there, take a break, then another gig somewhere else.

if you own the studio, and if its sucessfull and booked, there is almost no free time at all.

Buddha
I've definitely done those hours - but not any more! 10hr days ideally, 5 days a week. Won't work weekends unless it's worth my while, and make time for me!

Sure - I don't own a studio. But if I did, I'd deputise. Yes if you do it all, there's no free time, but don't!

Many broken marriages and families in this game, but it's still possible to be successful and have some sort of a life.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've definitely done those hours - but not any more!
yes, not any more is the important thing

but in the early days thats where its at.

people like you, that can cut the gig, and the family, are miracle workers

well done Psycho monkey, well done

Buddha
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Got it! Thanks for the clarification. Still I’m sure it must be really difficult on you. Maybe now is the time to figure out how to slow down a little bit? Delegate, as Psycho Monkey suggested? Or start making passes at the female clients who record there often? Just kidding on that last one, heh! :0) Anyway, I wish you success for 2019 in the love department!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've definitely done those hours - but not any more! 10hr days ideally, 5 days a week. Won't work weekends unless it's worth my while, and make time for me!

Sure - I don't own a studio. But if I did, I'd deputise. Yes if you do it all, there's no free time, but don't!

Many broken marriages and families in this game, but it's still possible to be successful and have some sort of a life.
How do you manage to avoid weekend sessions? You just turn bands down when they ask to book Saturdays and Sundays? How does that work for band memebers who have regular 9to5’s and do the music thing as their pastime? I’ve managed to avoid lots of weekends but honestly I’m not nearly as busy as someone like Big Buddha.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
if you own the studio, and if its sucessfull and booked, there is almost no free time at all.
In my view this is the huge downside to so much of the biz going to home-based, lone-wolf type studios. People spend all those years promoting just themselves, and it becomes hard to make any sort of transition at a later point in life...This is one reason I'm always on the studio building forums suggesting that people consider their zoning laws before doing a big in-home studio build. From my perspective, lots of people end up building great big traps for themselves, then for many years they turn away eager young engineers and producers only for a decent percentage of them to not only do the same, but become more competition. My philosophy is that if I get some real go-getters on the team I would rather make a reasonable partnership offer than have them as even more competition.

In any case, my wife and I have been able to reasonably split the full-time-parenting gig and it's something I would really recommend to anyone who can find a way to make it work, if it would be a good fit for them that is. I don't think either of us are really cut out to be full time parents, we both have small businesses- she has a salon and I have the studio. Either would probably resent the other if the career went away.

When my wife got pregnant that was the moment that I realized that I needed a team. Looking back, not only was having our daughter one of the best things that has happened to me, but making the transition to the team was as well.

Food for thought at least.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
How do you manage to avoid weekend sessions? You just turn bands down when they ask to book Saturdays and Sundays? I’m not nearly as busy as someone like Big Buddha.
saterdays and sundays are peak times for booking bands.

they all want to work weekends as thats when they are free.

these days i own my land, the studio, and the gear, so i dont work those crazy hours any more. but to get to that point i had to do the hours and the hard yards.

Buddha
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got it!Or start making passes at the female clients who record there often? Just kidding on that last one, heh! :0) A
ha ha.

not doing that is the reason they come back. zero tension. smile.

Buddha
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
saterdays and sundays are peak times for booking bands.

they all want to work weekends as thats when they are free.

these days i own my land, the studio, and the gear, so i dont work those crazy hours any more. but to get to that point i had to do the hours and the hard yards.

Buddha

Yes. Understood. I'm in a similar boat, owning the land and the studio plus the minimal gear I need so I can elect to not work weekends if my wife "tells me" not to.

But for someone like Psycho Monkey who works on (I'm guessing a lot of) Major Label stuff how does that work?

@ RyanC Really great post man. It's like I said earlier, having a happy life is all about finding balance.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
[B]these days i own my land, the studio, and the gear, so i dont work those crazy hours any more. but to get to that point i had to do the hours and the hard yards.
Kinda the same here (don't own anything outright yet...). But yeah- when my wife was about 5mo pregnant I was working so much that I actually passed out in a session. I was going 100+ hrs every week, late every night, I woke up in on the floor covered in drool and hearing only white noise. That was a bit of a wake up call.

But nonetheless you gotta work your ass off in this biz to get anywhere so...
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Disaster

Was doing tracking yesterday in my living room but my youngest son wasn't having any of it. On top of that, my trusty old gretsch started having grounding issues, and my nephew had to touch the pick up while I was playing to keep the noise down.
An hour later I took a break to go to the chiropractor, and got rear ended at a stop light.
The joys of recording days for me!

Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
How do you manage to avoid weekend sessions? You just turn bands down when they ask to book Saturdays and Sundays? How does that work for band memebers who have regular 9to5’s and do the music thing as their pastime? I’ve managed to avoid lots of weekends but honestly I’m not nearly as busy as someone like Big Buddha.
Good question. Well - it's a bit unusual I guess because I'm contracted to a studio where I'm often in Mon-fri - so if there's a weekend session I'll just get one of the cover engineers to do it, unless I really want to do it!

I don't do a lot of unsigned bands - and when I do, I just book it for the week days. Again, if weekend was the only option, and I really wanted to do it, then I might do that. Done that in the past, but I just try not to now.

I guess the unsigned bands I usually work with are flexible, and when I'm setting my own hours it's something like 10.30-8ish, Mon-Fri. I guess I don't generally work with the sorts of bands for whom it's a pastime - most guys I work with the music is the "career", and work supports that.
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:

I did manage to get her hooked on Law & Order SVU though!
Yeah, I'm on Season 16 now. That show never gets old.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I was working so much that I actually passed out in a session. I was going 100+ hrs every week, late every night, I woke up in on the floor covered in drool and hearing only white noise. That was a bit of a wake up call.

But nonetheless you gotta work your ass off in this biz to get anywhere so...
wow....

normal people, with normal lives, have no idea of the hours sound engineers work.

those dam lockouts are killers. 24 hours straight with a metal band. hmmm. been there done that. dozens of times.

Buddha
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear

I'm just a serious hobbyist so in a different position than most here I guess, but this thread makes me very thankful for the welfare society I live in, where you don't need to succeed financially to be safe... Good education, health care, daycare, etc. It is a special kind of freedom to know you are not on your own even if your family is not well-off. I read these horrible stories of families' who get into huge financial problems when one member get a serious disease like cancer, etc...

Well, back on thread.

We're getting our first child soon (like, in two weeks!), and I let go of my home studio space to concentrate maybe for the next few years on the family and my day job. Then give more time to it when the most hectic and precious first years are over. Not being financially dependent on the things I love is also another feeling of freedom that I enjoy.

Anyway, reading this thread makes me wonder... What do people even want in the end? What is "succeess", if you take the money out of the equation? What place in your soul do 12-hour studio days fill in the end? Are there other things in life that might fill that same need, that would better suit your current circumstances in life?

I find many people terribly inflexible about the things they think will make them happy in life. My thinking is, don't be like the glass, be like water. Don't try to hold things, but try see where you can flow and fit next.

Stop every now and then, and really take some time off the things you do and even get away from the people you love for a day or two. Breathe, and try to listen for that heart of yours: what do I really need? There are wounds and empty places inside all of us, and sometimes we think we can't be happy until we have achieved something that will fill those places. Meditation is good for seeing things more clearly.

Ahem.. Was there an advice here? I don't know... But it's a wonderful and awfully big world, don't get locked down to one point of view. Let go every now and then, and let life surprise you.

Could you rent the studio, and make some agreement with your wife that you have each month two days off from home, when you can go there and maybe do things just for yourself that you enjoy? Maybe downshift a bit, if you could work 4 days a week and then use two of the extra days to do your stuff, and use the other two to give your wife the same chance? We're going to try that, that each week both of us get at least a half day off even despite the baby, so we can have stuff that is completely ours, so things will keep more fresh between us too when it's not all just diapers and drool in our life.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search