The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me get my groove back!!! What's wrong w/ this track?
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Help me get my groove back!!! What's wrong w/ this track?

Producing an oldschool 60's pop sounding record and I've got a track that's kinda stumping me. It sounds okay, but something isn't right....maybe the groove? Maybe the mix? Something else?

I have a feeling the drums (especially the kick) is a little rushed in parts, especially during the chorus. It's tough to tell because it was tracked first (and sounded fine at the time) and now everything else has been tracked on top of it, so it's all kinda following the original drums, which now I'm thinking may be off.

I've gone down the rabbit hole so far with this track I'm getting mixing blindness....I need a second opinion from some pros @ GS. Care to give it a listen and let me know watcha think? What's off?

I've included three versions, 1) full mix 2) full mix w/o reverb and 3) drums only w/o reverb.

Thanks fellas!!
Attached Files
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

I'm mainly concerned about the chorus, which is the part right after the intro when the bass and guitar first kick in.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Nut

snare is just crushed, everything else sounds like it should.....?
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Snare is supposed to be crushed....listen to the old motown stuff....you can hear the Fairchild really pegging on most of the drums they did.

But I dunno, something seems off with the groove....i'm thinking things get a little shaky with that Iggy Pop/"Lust For Life" beat in the chorus.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoise View Post
snare is just crushed, everything else sounds like it should.....?
Actually, now that you mention it, there is a CLAP that's supposed to make up for some of the lack of "smack!" in the snare, it was accidentally muted on these mixes. It's very subtle though, makes very little difference.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

IMHO, it feels stiff, primarily as the piano is hot, and the piano and kick are both doubling down on the same accent (-edit/add; Ok for the first four or eighth perhaps) But then your left with not enough counter point, and/or 'ride feel' (may not be the right term) to move it along?
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Addict
IMHO I think there's a but too much distortion on the drums. Also, it's very mono, unless that's what you are going for. It could use a little more punch too. I added a little in the attached file.

All critiquing aside, overall I think your mix sounds really good!

-Chuck
Attached Files

motown.mp3 (7.78 MB, 193 views)

Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
IMHO, it feels stiff, primarily as the piano is hot, and the piano and kick are both doubling down on the same accent (-edit/add; Ok for the first four or eighth perhaps) But then your left with not enough counter point, and/or 'ride feel' (may not be the right term) to move it along?
True, the piano was overdone w/ the Sausage Fattener treatment....backed WAY off on that, added the clap track, did a slight remix and ran the 2-bus through 2 different flavors, first Retro Powerstrip, then CAPI VP28.

The VP28 is great, but I love the warmth the Retro adds. There was no EQ, just VERY light compression (2-3dB) with no subsonic filter. Really smooths out that sizzle on the highs and buries the reverb back in the mix a little better, which is curious because when I started tracking and trying out different pres, the Retro was in nearly last place. But man, it sure works to tame brightness and warm up a mix.

I may have to "process" some individual tracks through the Retro and try hitting that comp a little harder, maybe some EQ. Might get even closer to the vibe I'm going for.

Anyway, I'm gunna walk away from this for the night and come back to it tomorrow....hopefully the groove isn't as off as I was thinking.....I dunno, something just doesn't feel right. I think we may have to get in the room and track this groove LIVE.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
IMHO I think there's a but too much distortion on the drums. Also, it's very mono, unless that's what you are going for. It could use a little more punch too. I added a little in the attached file.

-Chuck
Thanks Chuck, that sounds pretty damn good! I'm definitely going for a very mono sound....I considered mixing the entire album in mono, with only stereo reverb, but decided I shouldn't limit myself. That said, I'm still keeping the stereo spead pretty minimal, ala 60's Motown.

The CAPI VP28 I used to track drums (again, one mic, mono) gave a lot of punch, way more than any other pre (it was amazing the difference in fact). That said, those old recordings had all the punch of a cardboard box. I'd like something a little more modern and rockin, but not too far in the punchy rock vein.

There is no EQ on the drums (AA CM12SE > CAPI VP28 w/ -6dB @ 80hz, if that counts) or any EQ or comp on bass (which is a scratch track right now) and was recorded old P Bass > REDDI > Hairball LOLA.

The groove is coming together a little better as the mix gets better, but I still feel like it's not quite in the pocket. I'm going to keep a lot of these settings, but re-track everything live and see if we can't get a little more in the pocket.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurango View Post
That said, those old recordings had all the punch of a cardboard box.
Very true!!

Chuck
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Nut

I liked the no reverb track. It sounded more natural. The reverb you used added to the slight harsh unnatural distortion to snare in my unprofessional opinion. Pretty groovy though!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search