The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Judgement of Your Ears
Old 29th January 2015
Here for the gear

The Judgement of Your Ears

Hi!

Here's something I recorded with my voice. The strange language you'll hear is Luxembourgish: http://cl.ly/3q050f0d2R41/voicemail%20Joshua.mp3

Judging only with your ears, do you think this is a good recording for voice over/podcast? If not, what would you change (EQ, Compression…)?

This could be fun. Thanks!

Josh
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

There seems to be a bit of a problem with the low-mids. Maybe somewhere around 200-350 Hz range. I don't know if it's proximity effect or if it's the room, but you may want to roll off a few db of EQ in that range (maybe -3 or 4db, fairly wide Q). You'd be surprised how things will clean up. Be careful not to go too far or you'll lose that nice rich tone. Other than that, It sounds broadcast ready to me.

Last edited by voodoo4u; 30th January 2015 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds really good, but I agree about the low end. A bit on the boomy side. Tho if it were me, I'd be after 150 Hz.

Cheers.
Old 30th January 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you both. I used a i-VOG from Little Labs, I think I turned the knob too far… When you don't have a deep, resonant voice you tend to overuse any tool that makes it sound more resonant.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search