The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting The Balance Just Right (Compromising)
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

Getting The Balance Just Right (Compromising)

Not sure if the mastering forum is most appropriate, but I have a problem I have been running into with my mixes and I figured you folks might have some good advice.

The problem is such:

I will mix on my Yamaha HS80 monitors. I get everything to sound good.

Then I listen on my headphones (Sony mdr-v6), and the hi-hats, ride, crash, etc., are all very bright and seemingly too loud. So I turn them down to make everything more balanced on the cans.

Switch back to the monitors, and my mix is now much darker and lifeless. So I turn those high-end percussion elements up a tad. Not as much as before, but enough to brighten the mix a little.

Now I have a mix that sounds great on neither playback system, but sounds okay on both playback systems.

Is this the mix I should trust to translate the best?
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

You may be mixing inside a terrible monitoring room and so the high end seems to be fine, but in the cans it isn't.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

when you feel you are quite right with the mix, hire a mastering engineer and have one song mastered (many great studios here and quite affordable for a song).
Ask for EQ only not CD levels.
Then listen back to all your system and you will have the answer to which system trust the most.
Old 17th January 2015
This is a common problem with mixes from less experienced mixers (not saying this is you necessarily). It can be very distracting when there is one very bright element placed on top of an otherwise quite dark mix.

Try brightening some of the less bright elements in the mix (guitars, drums, whatever works) rather than having the hi-hat and cymbals completely isolated up there.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Could you by any chance post a clip? That may help greatly in determining what's actually happening.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Room treatment.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

This is pretty representative of the problem. I keep going back and forth because there are several shaker/hat things going on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search