The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Kid on the block
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

New Kid on the block

Hello folks. I've been producing for a short while about 1 month but would like your input on my work thus far. Thank you very much. Before you ignore me though please know that I do not suck and know what sucky sounds like

Thanks.

J0nion
Old 13th January 2015
Pretty good for one month.

Mix is a bit cluttered. Everything mildly competes with everything else. Stereo image is a bit blurry and confusing. There's a lack of micro dynamics, which makes the drums feel background. Kick and snare need more authority.

Song-wise, too repetitive. Nothing grabs my attention. The employment of sampling is a bit old-fashioned (perhaps this is a retro track).

Keep plugging away. If this was your first month it shows a lot of promise.
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post

Mix is a bit cluttered. Everything mildly competes with everything else. Stereo image is a bit blurry and confusing. There's a lack of micro dynamics, which makes the drums feel background. Kick and snare need more authority.

Song-wise, too repetitive. Nothing grabs my attention. The employment of sampling is a bit old-fashioned (perhaps this is a retro track).

Thanks for the quick reply. Very much appreciated. Ok I've been trying to nail my mixing and so far I've been failing and so I agree with what you said. Can you give me a general guideline for an effective mix? As in kick and snare in the foreground with vocals and everything else in the background? And also this might sound stupid but how do you mix well with an uneven volume for other elements in the track without making them disappear. Thanks.
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

And song composition wise, I intentionally made it repetitive. It's a dance tune and repetition helps with dance music I think when the audience recognizes familiar elements in the track.
Old 13th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nion View Post
Can you give me a general guideline for an effective mix? As in kick and snare in the foreground with vocals and everything else in the background?
This varies from person to person, but my personal guideline is the snare should "pierce" the vocal for a split second. In other words, you hear the initial transient just louder than the vocal for a microsecond.

For dance music, kick is definitely a priority. It needs to hit pretty hard.

Quote:
And also this might sound stupid but how do you mix well with an uneven volume for other elements in the track without making them disappear.
First you need good balance levels (relative volume of one element to the others). This is a matter of personal taste based on what the song seems to need. Once you have a balance, you can carve out additional space using compression and EQ. There are a ton of posts about this here--go check 'em out.

In general, most people tend to recommend the "cut/boost" eq technique: cut one element and boost another in the same area. So, let's say you have a kick drum and a bass synth--cut the kick around 400hz a bit, and boost the bass synth at 400. Likewise, you might cut the bass synth at 60 hz and boost the kick there. That way each instrument has it's "own space."

Keep plugging away at it. This stuff takes a lifetime to get down.
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Keep plugging away at it. This stuff takes a lifetime to get down.
lol, OK. I'm in it for the long term and I am certainly not averse to learning so I'll keep grinding. And thanks for the tips. I've been EQing wrong
Old 14th January 2015
Quote:
lol, OK. I'm in it for the long term and I am certainly not averse to learning so I'll keep grinding. And thanks for the tips. I've been EQing wrong
There's no wrong or right in a broad sense. The fashion you eq'd this time around would certainly work under other circumstances.

The important thing is to do your best at any given time. That's honest and real. With every mix you'll improve if that is your goal. Trust me, you have to make a million mistakes before you can get good at anything!
Old 15th January 2015
Here for the gear

Cool. And yeah I'm looking forward to putting in my 10,000 hours definitely. I have something I'm working on currently, I'll share the moment I'm done. Gearslutz is fing awesome btw!
Old 15th January 2015
Quote:
Cool. And yeah I'm looking forward to putting in my 10,000 hours definitely. I have something I'm working on currently, I'll share the moment I'm done. Gearslutz is fing awesome btw!
Someone read either Gladwell or Simonton.
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear

lol
Old 18th January 2015
Here for the gear

What's up James

I have just released my latest effort. And as always your expert ears are more than welcome to devour my track. Kindly take a listen. Thanks
Old 19th January 2015
Quote:
I have just released my latest effort. And as always your expert ears are more than welcome to devour my track. Kindly take a listen. Thanks
Do you have a link? Thanks man!
Old 19th January 2015
Here for the gear

https://soundcloud.com/j0nion/lost-lovers-j0nion

Sorry I thought the link would appear with my soundcloud link but it looks like it just updates my first soundcloud link post and then refuses to post a new one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search