The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Song Mixed on 1967 RCA Console from RCA Studio
Old 10th December 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Song Mixed on 1967 RCA Console from RCA Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9enIuu_yA

Here is a song I co-wrote and produced. Mixed on RCA Studio console.
Old 10th December 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 

And?
Old 10th December 2014
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Capashitor's Avatar
Thanks for sharing ! Sounds great, I love the way the kick and bass behave, and the horns are perfect. I'd be very interested with some details regarding recording/mixing chains and how you layed your mix on the console. Also, pics please
Old 10th December 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Sounds Great!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9enIuu_yA

Here is a song I co-wrote and produced. Mixed on RCA Studio console.
Old 10th December 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Hi.. Thanks for your feedback.
Tracking:
Vox- C800g, 1073, cl1b, RCA transformers
Bass- REDDI, 1073, LA2A
Horns- SM7
Live drums- 5mic with Glynn Johns and added kick/sn bot mic
Programming- Cubase
Guitars- DI

Mix
PT10 into RCA console with Apogee Symph using 16ch. A bunch of plugins including UAD. RCA console has the rare GME20 EQs which are sweet and musical with a nice bottom.

Reference - VXT8 by KRK, NS10s, Audeze LDCX headphones

Will put up pics shortly. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Sounds great

Are you using many plugs to counteract the limited eq and using the desk eq more as a sweetener?

Who mastered it?
Old 11th December 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
Sounds great

Are you using many plugs to counteract the limited eq and using the desk eq more as a sweetener?

Who mastered it?
Thank you.
Probably a combination in regards to the eq as we used a lot of the eq on the board on vocals, drums and definitely bass. Definitely used plugins for Eq esp UAD and McDSP. Also the compressors from the board were used. There are 6 Melcor/RCA CL-20 which are great.

Tom Coyne at Sterling mastered it.
Old 11th December 2014
  #8
sounds great! I'm loving the stereo horns. Just double tracked and panned?
Great work mate.
A.
Old 11th December 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek View Post
sounds great! I'm loving the stereo horns. Just double tracked and panned?
Great work mate.
A.
Thanks.
Yes double tracked and hard panned. Sm7 on ISA430.
Old 15th December 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

Niice man!
Old 15th December 2014
  #11
Gear Addict
Hi man, great sound.

You wrote "REDDI, 1073, LA2A" for bass, so REDDI was a DI, and after it you connected it to 1073 preamp? I saw some videos and it looks like REDDI is a preamp too, or isn't?
Old 15th December 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeper View Post
Hi man, great sound.

You wrote "REDDI, 1073, LA2A" for bass, so REDDI was a DI, and after it you connected it to 1073 preamp? I saw some videos and it looks like REDDI is a preamp too, or isn't?
Thank you.
REDDI is a great DI, but I like to run the line level into the 1073 for color and tone and then hit the comp.
Old 15th December 2014
  #13
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thank you.
REDDI is a great DI, but I like to run the line level into the 1073 for color and tone and then hit the comp.
any chance to hear comparison of bass directly to 1073 vs thru reddi + 1073?
Old 15th December 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeper View Post
any chance to hear comparison of bass directly to 1073 vs thru reddi + 1073?
I will see what is possible at another session soon however, the 1073 (at least my version..lol) does not have DI input for instrument input and has Mic/Line levels only... possibly a Radial before the 1073.
Old 15th December 2014
  #15
Gear Addict
ooh right, radial for comparison would be great
Old 16th December 2014
  #16
Gear Addict
 
BluegrassDan's Avatar
Very nice! Love the fat sound.
Old 17th December 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

Am I wrong to say that DI u used reminds me of a ua6176 I don't know, just a familiar sound
Old 19th December 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Thank you Dan.
Kenna - yes very close but REDDI just has that tube fatness that I have not heard before man. It's a nice piece.
Old 26th December 2014
  #19
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thank you Dan.
Kenna - yes very close but REDDI just has that tube fatness that I have not heard before man. It's a nice piece.
They should make duals for keyboards
Old 26th December 2014
  #20
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Phat!
Old 10th January 2015
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
Andreas Leonhard's Avatar
 

Great sounding mix. Very punchy and open.
Old 13th January 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Thanks very much everyone! Appreciate the feedback!!
Old 2nd February 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
raggedman's Avatar
 

Anyone who doesn't think hardware is important needs to listen to this!
Old 2nd February 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Sorry for the delay on the pics, here is a pic of the control room.
Attached Thumbnails
Song Mixed on 1967 RCA Console from RCA Studio-img_2079.jpg  
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump