The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop Punk Rock Mix - Would appreciate some second ears! :)
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Pop Punk Rock Mix - Would appreciate some second ears! :)

Thanks for the listen!

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-kitti...-know-you-more
Old 7th August 2014
It sounds pretty good!

Critical Feedback:
- Increase the volume on the lead guitar a tad because it's difficult to hear the individual notes
- Lower the snares and toms a little bit, they're a teeny bit over-powering
- Pan the rhythm guitar about 5 degrees to the left, and pan the lead guitar about 5 degrees to the right in order to give the mix a broader sound, and to hear the guitars more clearly
- Add harmonies to "power words" (say, way, about you) in the chorus to get a a stronger "oomph" in the transition between the pre-chorus and the chorus
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the feedback, justintime. I actually gave the mix a listen on some headphones and noticed that the toms are distorting pretty bad too. Something I didn't notice on my studio monitors for some reason.

Gonna go back and touch this one up.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Head

Fixed the distortion issue! Let me know what you think
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Nice song!

To me, the snare seems to pop out and not belong to the mix. Some other things sound not quite right, but they might turn out to be OK if the snare issue could be fixed.

What are you limiting with? Is it the L2? Whatever it is, something's not quite right...

And I'm missing some brilliance on the vocal, might be down to streaming. What format did you upload?

You seem to be on the right track, keep tweaking!
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Head

Thanks Captain Marc!

I just used a native Limiter inside of my daw. I don't even think I pushed the mix that hard into it. Maybe like -0.2 reduction at times. I uploaded it to SoundCloud as an MP3.

I enjoy your feedback though. I'm not 100% satisfied with the mix, but I'm gonna have to let it go and move on to a different project. Hard for me to do sometimes, but I've spent way too much time on it!

On to writing new music!
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Ah! Well that explains it! Try uploading in a lossless format like wav or aif or flac. If you upload an mp3 it will get re-encoded again, producing a dull crunchy sound. Otherwise, all you'd have to do is fix the snare!

And yes, often best to move on and try another track. You can always return to this one later.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Hey, overall it sounds really cool. There are a couple of F's and S's in the vocals that sound kinda nasty. Most of them are OK so I don't think it needs de-essing (or more de-essing?) on the entire track. I would just automate the consonants down on those words. "Two feet off the floor" in particular. The snare sound is cool but a tad bit fake-sounding for me (that's just my taste I guess, most listeners won't notice). I'd turn the snare down just a tiny bit, not much. Also the extreme left-right panning of the toms makes them sound fake. I'd bring them into the center a bit more. But in general, there's not a whole lot to criticize here; good job.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search