The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop (One Direction, Hedley, 1975) Saturation Plugins
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Pop (One Direction, Hedley, 1975)

Hi everyone!

Here's a song I just finished! I co-wrote it, produced, recorded, mixed and mastered so some fresh ears on the mix are more than welcome!

Thanks!
Attached Files

Top Of The World (1.0).mp3 (7.92 MB, 345 views)

Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Head

Sounds friggin' perfect to me! Nice work!
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Luc, sounds really good. First knee jerk reaction was the vocals could stand for a bit more de-essing. Just my taste, but really there is nothing wrong with this mix!

-Tom Miller
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittinger View Post
Sounds friggin' perfect to me! Nice work!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhadrum View Post
Luc, sounds really good. First knee jerk reaction was the vocals could stand for a bit more de-essing. Just my taste, but really there is nothing wrong with this mix!

-Tom Miller
Thanks! Yeah might be a bit too much "esses"! Just a tiny threshold to lower and problem's gone!
Old 23rd July 2014
Here for the gear
Mix sounds great. I'm listening on laptop speakers and 3K-4K cuts through. Lower mids of the kick, 800-1K, cut as well. Getting those right on laptop speakers is always a challenge for me. Great job
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroth View Post
Mix sounds great. I'm listening on laptop speakers and 3K-4K cuts through. Lower mids of the kick, 800-1K, cut as well. Getting those right on laptop speakers is always a challenge for me. Great job
Thank you very much!
Old 5th August 2014
DAH
Lives for gear

radio-friendly superloud mix. translates good on laptop, yes
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Thanks!
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Addict

Sounds really good. Definitely nails that kind of pop-genre mix.

-guitars have a slight mid high resonance (especially in the verse guitars)
-wouldn't mind a bit more low end (more bass and more subs in kick)
-would've tracked the background vocals so they're wider and have a more "polished" feel to them

but once again, great job!
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOnlyMoment View Post
Sounds really good. Definitely nails that kind of pop-genre mix.

-guitars have a slight mid high resonance (especially in the verse guitars)
-wouldn't mind a bit more low end (more bass and more subs in kick)
-would've tracked the background vocals so they're wider and have a more "polished" feel to them

but once again, great job!
Thanks!
Old 15th August 2014
DAH
Lives for gear

on second listen - too much contrast between verse and chorus in volume, guitars are too wooly, no bite in chorus, not enough glue betwwen the parts.
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
on second listen - too much contrast between verse and chorus in volume, guitars are too wooly, no bite in chorus, not enough glue betwwen the parts.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Addict

How are you tucking in the backing/stacked stereo vocals? They are fairly loud but don't take over intelligibility/width...is that mostly an aggressive low pass that helps with that?

Also in a mix that has to be loud and upfront like this I find it can be difficult to get the ambiance fully correct. I can hear some mono delay under the lead vocal, and in some parts some stereo delay is a bit more obvious. As well in some sections the reverb (or a short ambiance) is important for artistic reason. Are you constantly riding the sends to all of these (and more) depending on the section and feel of phrases...and/or is anything constantly there for glue or atmosphere to be consistent? Reverb especially I'm wondering about as I find it can glue multiple voices together, but it can be dangerous in such a modern mix. Any tips or hints I would appreciate!

I do notice that in some parts with all of the stacked vocals it can sound kind of synth-y modern/phasey. Is that from tuning the stacks of vocals or do you run vocals through modulation stuff to get them to pop out a bit?

I like the low end increase/impact at 2:00 too!
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blAh View Post
How are you tucking in the backing/stacked stereo vocals? They are fairly loud but don't take over intelligibility/width...is that mostly an aggressive low pass that helps with that?
Different type of back vocals (3th, 5th, pads, ohs, etc) are routed to different busses and processed as a whole. I do use a high pass but no low pass.

Quote:
Also in a mix that has to be loud and upfront like this I find it can be difficult to get the ambiance fully correct. I can hear some mono delay under the lead vocal, and in some parts some stereo delay is a bit more obvious. As well in some sections the reverb (or a short ambiance) is important for artistic reason. Are you constantly riding the sends to all of these (and more) depending on the section and feel of phrases...and/or is anything constantly there for glue or atmosphere to be consistent? Reverb especially I'm wondering about as I find it can glue multiple voices together, but it can be dangerous in such a modern mix. Any tips or hints I would appreciate!
Well during the verses I tried to get things sounding smaller, thinner and more narrow than in the choruses. So that's why you hear mono slap echo or shorter verbs during the verses. I do use a lot of automation on sends.

Quote:
I do notice that in some parts with all of the stacked vocals it can sound kind of synth-y modern/phasey. Is that from tuning the stacks of vocals or do you run vocals through modulation stuff to get them to pop out a bit?
There's some chorus / split harmonizer going the back vocals but there's also a lot of synths in the background.
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks very much. I'm going to have to experiment a bit with modulation on backups or on hook parts that need to sound "big" or modern...for some reason that subtle phasey sound that I initially thought to avoid tends to be a sound that tells us that it's the chorus, and it works well.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search