The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
80's/Pop/Synth Wave Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

80's/Pop/Synth Wave

Used as much hardware synth as I could on this.

SYNTHS:
Oberheim Matrix-1000 for pads.
Korg M1 for bells.
Korg Polysix for bass.
Roland Alpha Juno 2 for leads.

Then blended in some soft synths...
Arturia V Collection
Nexus2 (I have no shame haha!)

DRUMS:
I sampled a Oberheim DMX
Then blended a sample on kick and snare.

VOCALS:
Shure SM7 into Vintech x73i into Distressor into Apogee Ensemble.

Everything mixed in Pro Tools 10.

Used Slate VBC Red and UAD Ampex 102 on stereo bus.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nice job! Total 80's vibe...

Sounds good on my lil M-Audio's too.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks Bugscoe.

I used the free plugin iZotope Vinyl in the intro to give it that cassette/VHS/vinyl/old school wobble.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

This sounds great!

Song isn't half bad either.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks PyneBoxx.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

niceee! i dig this tune, good job man!
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

I've been wondering forever if I should get a hardware stereo buss compressor.... I've read every thread about every different one. Haha! On my next album I'm gonna rent a few different options and spend a week locked up in my basement A/B'ing them all. Also A/B'ing hardware vs software.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hardware stereo bus compressor for this style of music?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc123 View Post
I've been wondering forever if I should get a hardware stereo buss compressor.... I've read every thread about every different one. Haha! On my next album I'm gonna rent a few different options and spend a week locked up in my basement A/B'ing them all. Also A/B'ing hardware vs software.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hardware stereo bus compressor for this style of music?
API 2500.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

K. Awesome. Thx.

I'll rent a 2500, C2, Manley Vari-Mu and a Dramastic Obsidian. (not sure if I can rent that one) Then buy my favourite.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hopefully the hardware will sound $3000 better then Slate VBC. (Which I've been pretty impressed with)
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Not speaking specifically about the Slate VBC, but the biggest difference I've always noticed when analyzing hardware vs software "shoot outs" is the way the bottom end responds to the hardware. There just seems to be somethin' special there. Placebo of wanting to hear something because it's "supposed" to be better? I dunno.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

PyneBoxx. Thanks. Low end is something I feel I always struggle with. On this track (and all the other on my album) I'm using VBC Red on the stereo bus with the HPF at 150. Then I had the track professionally mastered by a great engineer who helped a lot. My listening environment isn't the best either. HS 80's no sub. Minimal room treatment.

This year I'm gonna get some room treatment going and get a hardware stereo bus compressor.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Fantastic track, some great hooks.
Nice job on the vocals too.
You've really nailed the 80's vibe, of course it helps when you've got some classic 80's synths.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks TheBrightSide! I was just in the studio messing around with my Oberheim Matrix 1000. So many cool sounds. Wobbly out of tune awesome weird pads. I got it on eBay for $275 not long ago. A steal IMO.

I often play my Alpha Juno midi into the Matrix 1000. Take 1/4's stereo outta the Juno and the 1/4 outta the matrix 1000 (it's mono) and then blend them and record them together in Pro Tools.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear
Your voice sounds very familiar. Have you done work with many folks in Van? I lived their for years, played Bass for countless of acts. I swear I know you.
Anyway, your voice is excellent, melodies great. Could use that voice on an Acoustic Ballad I wrote. Not an 80's vibe, but I'm sure your versatile.

Cheers.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Ghandi DM'd u.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nice, just purchased the album on Bandcamp. Brad is great and mastered the first record i ever produced that also went gold here. The singer from that band went on to write/produce the songs for Lorde. Lol.
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks CaptainHook. Thanks for supporting. I hope u enjoy it.

Yes. Brad is awesome. He took my mediocre mixes to the next level. Fixed a lot of the issues. There were lots to fix! I asked him to master it "Loud and Bright". He delivered. Worth every penny.

Congrats on producing a gold record. I checked out your studios website. Nice place! I'd love to visit New Zealand one day. Some good music coming outta there too. I'm a Lorde fan. And The Naked and Famous too.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

No worries, digging the record so far!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search