The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MIX-OFF Pop/Rock Style
Old 22nd October 2013
  #1
MIX-OFF Pop/Rock Style

Hey guys,

My band The Fiasco has just finished recording our latest single and we would love to hear some variations on the mix if you are up for giving it a go.

It is a pop / alternative / rock kind of song. All stems are WAV 48kHz 24bit and completely edited and can be downloaded here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaxwbm69mu...S%20148BPM.zip

Here is my mix of the song..


Hope you like it and look forward to hearing some mixes

Adam

EDIT: Dropbox link now working!
Old 22nd October 2013
  #2
Gear Addict
 
yoshimodular's Avatar
 

Can't be downloaded without being registered. Why don't you try something more friendly, like mediafire.com or Dropbox?
Old 22nd October 2013
  #3
Apologies for that....the last time I used it 4shared allowed nonusers to download. I am uploading to dropbox now and will re-edit the link when it has done!
Old 23rd October 2013
  #4
Bump....any takers?
Old 23rd October 2013
  #5
Gear Addict
 
yoshimodular's Avatar
 

I'll give it a try :-)
Old 23rd October 2013
  #6
Gear Head
 
TonyPizza's Avatar
 

Nice tune, thanks for sharing:
Old 24th October 2013
  #7
Awesome mix Tony....perfect level for the vocal throughout. You do much automation? I did a fair bit on mine! I decided to go for a snappier snare...compressed the hell outta it! lol
Old 25th October 2013
  #9
Gear Head
 
TonyPizza's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigadd0 View Post
Awesome mix Tony....perfect level for the vocal throughout. You do much automation? I did a fair bit on mine! I decided to go for a snappier snare...compressed the hell outta it! lol
Thanks! At the end of the day i didn´t use automation at all, but i tried it. I´m really happy with my snare, it´s always on of the hardest parts you know Not happy with my backing vocals though... Again, nice song, thanks for sharing!
Old 25th October 2013
  #10
Old 25th October 2013
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for sharing your great music. Here's my mix.
(Sorry that I couldn't use the best quality mp3 because the file size exceeded the limit of this forum).

Olli
Attached Files
Old 26th October 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Spede's Avatar
 

Hello lads! Here's my mix from this song. Spent about 4-5 hours with this one.

I must admit this one was more challenging than I initially expected. I had to spend quite a lot of time focusing on blending things together. That's why I ended up cutting quite a lot of midrange from backing vocals and adding huge amounts of low end to the guitars to give the song a low mid oomph you've come to expect from a rock song.
Attached Files

Different_Road_SpedeMix.mp3 (7.87 MB, 771 views)

Old 26th October 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Spede's Avatar
 

And some comments on other mixes:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
Thanks for sharing your great music. Here's my mix.
(Sorry that I couldn't use the best quality mp3 because the file size exceeded the limit of this forum).

Olli

In general I feel this mix is a well-balanced one. Most of the critique I('d) give to you regards genre specific issues.

Basically all the eehs and oohs have this huge bump in the ~600 Hz region. Obviously it's pretty hard EQ it out with a traditional EQ (since the other vowels would becom too mid scooped). This vocal track would be a perfect place to (learn to) use dynamic EQ:s to scoop the mids few dBs whenever they protrude.

Overall I felt the low midrange doesn't blend that well into the low freqs. This comes across as it sounds like bass is way too loud in this mix (although the overall amount of low end in this mix is just right). Not counting the blend problem I feel the bass level is good throughout the mix except for second verse; You could remedy it by riding the bass down couple of dBs there.

While the kick has a really nice sounding low end here, one can get away with much more snap on it in this kind of music. I guess I'm playing captain obvious when I say that the low end disappears when listening from, say laptop speakers but the snap won't.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraki View Post
This mix made me smile on the second verse when the drums entered. Sounds awesome.

The acoustic guitars don't seem to blend into this mix well, their low midrange sort of sticks out.

In general this mix is a tad light on the low end.

Good job!



Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatManufaktur View Post
Right from the start I felt that the vocal is way to bright and the piano both too dark and too low in the mix. You could easily deal with the vocal issue by automating any EQ boost down for the first verse (the vocal sound nice for the rest of the song).

In general I think it's not enough that you make the the vocal shine; you'd have to do the same for the rest of the music too. At this state the mix feels little bit karaokeish. At least some high end to piano would do good.
Old 26th October 2013
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post
Hello lads! Here's my mix from this song. Spent about 4-5 hours with this one.

I must admit this one was more challenging than I initially expected. I had to spend quite a lot of time focusing on blending things together. That's why I ended up cutting quite a lot of midrange from backing vocals and adding huge amounts of low end to the guitars to give the song a low mid oomph you've come to expect from a rock song.
Nice clear mix but thin and edgy. Am I the only one that thinks this? I personally like the original better between these two. The original has more attitude and warmth. Maybe not as clear a center though but fuller.
Are you mastering this per-say Spede?

I'm tempted to give it a wurl but now that I've critiqued, I'm destined to get clobbered lol. I doubt i could do better but its a cool mix.
Old 26th October 2013
  #15
Thanks for sharing! I really like this type of music so it was fun to work on and I wanted to try out a few new plugs/techniques.

Old 26th October 2013
  #16
Here for the gear
 

@ Spede
Thanks for commenting my mix. You're very skillfull comentator, and I'm sure you're right about those issues you mentioned.

I listened your mix. Sounds great to me. Some minor issues (matters of taste probably) came to my mind.

I feel that the vocals sounds is much too edgy. My ears get tired quite soon. So I agree with audiokids comments.

Your snare is quite huge. I don't know this kind of pop genre so well, but it sounds odd to me when it joins with full force at 1:25 with acoustic guitar and relaxed bass. Maybe this song shouldn't get so dramatic change in that spot.

I feel that this song needs to grow steadily. At 1:50 first electric guitar comes in, but that change is quite unnoticeable because of that stadium snare that came in previously.

But otherwise, I think you have made technically very good mix.
Old 26th October 2013
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortTon View Post
Thanks for sharing! I really like this type of music so it was fun to work on and I wanted to try out a few new plugs/techniques.

I like it. I think the vibe of your mix suits well for this song. It feels balanced to me all through the song.

Maybe the beginning of the song could be little warmer. (The main challenge to me was to find a some warmness to the beginning of this song. I think I didn't quite succeed with it but that's what I tried to do)
Old 26th October 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigadd0 View Post
Hey guys,

My band The Fiasco has just finished recording our latest single and we would love to hear some variations on the mix if you are up for giving it a go.

It is a pop / alternative / rock kind of song. All stems are WAV 48kHz 24bit and completely edited and can be downloaded here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaxwbm69mu...S%20148BPM.zip

Here is my mix of the song..


Hope you like it and look forward to hearing some mixes

Adam

EDIT: Dropbox link now working!
Hey Adam,

what a really nice song, arrangement and mix, there is a certain energy coming across which touches. I'd love to mix it if time allows. So thanks for sharing!

I listened to all mixes and they all takes me and carries me, very cool!


Cheers,
Andy
Old 27th October 2013
  #19
I Like both bigadd0 and Spede's version.

Last edited by audiokid; 28th October 2013 at 07:10 AM..
Old 28th October 2013
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for all your mixes guys!! Safe to say I pretty tired of hearing my own lead vocal!! haha

I like the way that Speede has brought out the guitars especially after the second chorus and long held note at the end!!

ShortTon those are some crazy effects!! Not sure they fit with the idea of the song though.

Tim Fiasco
Old 30th October 2013
  #21
ok just downloaded I'll shoot you back a mix sometime soon.
Old 31st October 2013
  #22
Here for the gear
 

First of all great song and thank you for sharing! I had blast mixing this. Spent around 5 hours on it. Please let me know your thoughts on the mix!

Kid Nouveau aka Royce
Attached Files
Old 31st October 2013
  #23
Gear Addict
 

When did we start referring to "tracks" as "stems?"
Old 31st October 2013
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
I like it. I think the vibe of your mix suits well for this song. It feels balanced to me all through the song.

Maybe the beginning of the song could be little warmer. (The main challenge to me was to find a some warmness to the beginning of this song. I think I didn't quite succeed with it but that's what I tried to do)
Hard to make an adolescent sounding nasal voice with no vibrato or dynamics sound warm. This kind of singing annoys me, especially the totally wimpy leaps to falsetto that would have been more effective if done any other way.
Old 31st October 2013
  #25
Wow thanks guys for the mixes - having so much fun listening to them all....I will do a round of comments later today!

blindjoni - I think it's a matter of taste to be honest as there has also been lots of positive feedback on the track! If it isn't your kind of music then no-one is forcing you to listen to it!!
Old 31st October 2013
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindjoni View Post
Hard to make an adolescent sounding nasal voice with no vibrato or dynamics sound warm. This kind of singing annoys me, especially the totally wimpy leaps to falsetto that would have been more effective if done any other way.
I think there is a lot of value in the phrase:

"promote music you love rather than criticise music you don't"
Old 31st October 2013
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigadd0 View Post
Wow thanks guys for the mixes - having so much fun listening to them all....I will do a round of comments later today!

blindjoni - I think it's a matter of taste to be honest as there has also been lots of positive feedback on the track! If it isn't your kind of music then no-one is forcing you to listen to it!!
I agree! I thought the music was great! I am just one of those older singer/performers that has a personal problem getting past vocal styles that confuse my old school sensibilities. I have the same reaction to young girls who force a nasal vocal sound, Seattle styles where the singer screws his voice around so that he sounds like he is singing through a pipe, guys with repetition habits that they do in every song many times,etc. The no vibrato thing to my ear reminds me of a lot of "frat rock' stuff from the '90's and my brain catagorizes that as lazy....and ultimately unemotional. Kind of like drawing with a crayon. My point is I understand as I am primarily a mix engineer and have to work with what I am given and I am not going to change someone's technique or style in a mixdown! YMMV
Old 1st November 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Myriad_Rocker's Avatar
 

I'm not going to get around to giving this song a whirl any time soon, but I downloaded the tracks for having some fun later. This isn't my style of music, but it's a fun song and I think I would have a lot of fun mixing it.

My favorite mixes so far are bigadd0 and Spede. I really dug Spede's snare sound he was getting. I typically don't like that kind of snare sound, but it fit this song well for some reason. I might actually think about trying it sometime now. Tony's mix was pretty good, too, and had more of a laid back vibe going on.
Old 2nd November 2013
  #29
My mix

Hello. Adam, big thanks for sharing the tracks, great training. Really good and solid pop song - well done.
Check out my mix. All remarks are more than welcome.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rent_konop.mp3
Old 2nd November 2013
  #30
Gear Head
 
davidpaulpaige's Avatar
Here is my 80%... rough

Good song! My tastes are music... and I like it all. Thanks for sharing.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...20Road%200.wav
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump