The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please take a listen to my first mix
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Please take a listen to my first mix

Hello Gearslutz,

i'm really new to the Forum and i'm a beginner in terms of recording and mixing.
I did a first mix (preproduction) for my band and i would really appreciate it if
anyone could give some advices in how to make it better.

Thank you very much!
I'm in the "learning process" and i know that they are maybe a lot of mistakes i made, but any tip of would help me to do some improvements.

For example i find the guitars a little bit harsh, but on the other side, i like the guitars to be bright and shiny. Any opinions?

Thank you all so very much!

Recording music is so wonderful!

Daniel

Link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-Fireworks.mp3
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Well done

Your first mix? Congatulations, pretty well done!
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks!
I use only my ears, because i never did a school for recording or something.
Thats maybe why i made a few mistakes in eqing and compressing i think.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

yeah it sounded good to me dude, guitars were little harsh for couple of brief moments, maybe due to strength of strumming etc?

But for most part thought it was ok.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Great mix! Cool song, also. The bass guitar could use just a bit more articulation (upper harmonics) to help it cut through, and the lowest octave of the bass (below 80Hz) could be evened out a little (it can be challenging to get it right, though).

Great stuff, though - cheers!
Rob
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

This sounds good, but sooooo squashed. No dynamics. I know that's how it is nowadays, but still. Easily the loudest thing I'll listen to all day.

I don't find the guitars overly harsh, if you do, try a gentle (6db) low pass filter around 4-6k on them.

The hi-hat is the loudest part of the drum set.

See if you can make it sound this full without squashing the entire mix.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks a lot. Yes the bass guitar. I can't mix it good enough to hear it more. Upper harmonics what do you mean exactly? Frequencys over 1k? I really would loveto mix the bass guitar better. And yes it sounds really squashed. Thats maybe why i dida noobish mastering. Im not a masterimg engineer. :( the mastering sucks and its tooo compressed i think.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Rimedio View Post
Thanks a lot. Yes the bass guitar. I can't mix it good enough to hear it more. Upper harmonics what do you mean exactly? Frequencys over 1k? I really would loveto mix the bass guitar better. And yes it sounds really squashed. Thats maybe why i dida noobish mastering. Im not a masterimg engineer. :( the mastering sucks and its tooo compressed i think.

Hi,

Sorry about that, I should have clarified. It varies from mix to mix but I suggest starting somewhere between 800Hz and 1.5kHz with a .5 to 1 octave boost. That will bring out more articulation. It depends on the playing, the mix, and the recorded tone.

Regarding your comments about your mastering, I remember you mentioning you were a beginner, and have had no schooling, so when I put that into perspective, I think you've done a really nice job, here. Your recordings are clean. You have a lot of layered guitars which is very challenging to blend nicely. You also have varying textures and dynamics with the break (keyboard section without the guitars). You have made effective use of stereo, and your production is fairly tight, also.

... I could go on, but you get the point - job well done ! Clearly you have a natural ear/talent for mixing and production and it's well worth you continuing to develop that.

For this genre, I think you want your guitars kept within a fairly narrow dynamic range, as you have done here. The drums could be more dynamic, but that may be a limitation of the recording (they are electronic, correct?).

Mix wise, if anything, I would add more automation to have those layers of guitars varying in volume here and there, and even in tone (automate the EQ). That will add more depth to your mix. Varying the amount of ambience on each guitar track a bit more will also help with that (i.e. put the most important guitar parts at the front of the mix with the least amount of reverb, and the supporting parts can get tucked a bit behind with more ambience). You could do the same with the keyboards, and consider more exaggerated crescendos etc too which will add a lot of movement.

After you get the bass tone to your liking, you may need to revisit the kick to ensure that the kick and the bass are supporting each other. That's a tough thing to do as well, and it can take time but it will really do a lot to support the movement of the song.

I enjoyed listening to this piece and I hope you keep doing what you're doing !

Cheers
Rob
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sampled drums?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Rob thank you so much. A lot of good tipps. This means a lot to me. Yes the drums are samples. Steven Slate Drums 4 CLA extension pack. I will record the drumset next month. I used ssd only for this preproduction.

In general im not a fan of too much using drumsamples but for preproducing songs ssd 4 is the easiest way to go for me.

Thank you all. This forum is a good place!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search