The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Alternative/Indie Rock Conspiracy Theory
Old 15th October 2013
Alternative/Indie Rock Conspiracy Theory

Here's a track I recorded & mixed for a local band...would appreciate your thoughts on the production/mix. Thanks!

PS. Interesting & very different topic contained in the lyrics - (see if you can work it out - hint "conspiracy")
Attached Files

First Astro_1.mp3 (7.75 MB, 73 views)

Old 20th October 2013
Hello...hello...hello...
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

I think it's pretty a pretty good mix! I usually like to add lower harmony with the vocals on the chorus to fill it out a bit.
It's pretty clean!! My biggest problem lately. I record more progressive rock and metal so I always run into a problem trying to keep my snare cutting through and not getting swallowed by the rest of the mix. Good job man!
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebag420 View Post
I think it's pretty a pretty good mix! I usually like to add lower harmony with the vocals on the chorus to fill it out a bit.
It's pretty clean!! My biggest problem lately. I record more progressive rock and metal so I always run into a problem trying to keep my snare cutting through and not getting swallowed by the rest of the mix. Good job man!
Thanks! I appreciate the listen & the comments.

Re: The snare - I think with this track, it wasn't too difficult to get the snare to cut through, because the instrumentation was comparatively sparse.

I do find that the overheads tend to be where you get a lot of the "crack" & "cut-through" for the snare. Sometimes, smoothing out the OH mics with compression with too fast attack times can take that away, so adjust the the attack time on the OH compression can be critical.

With a more musically dense track (like the type of material you describe), sometimes I find using a parallel snare "attack" track with a transient designer on it can work well. Another approach that helps is to try side-chaining the guitars to be ducked by the snare. I sometimes use a combination of the 2.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search