The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Composition help.
Old 13th June 2013
Composition help.

So, I have been working on a track for the past week. It's in the composition / sound design stage, but I have lost all sense of whether it sucks or if its got potential. Been listening to it far too much. I would appreciate some compositional advice. It is unmixed, there isnt a single EQ or compressor on the whole thing. This isnt a question of the mix, purely composition, arrangement and sound design.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

here is the WAV, sorry I don't have an mp3 atm

It's pretty linier, part of me is thinking out sounds like crappy sci fi stuff. I can't tell if it sounds dated or contemporary.

Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

I like it but those long sustaining bass notes are a bit lacking in texture for me. For some reason I desperately wanted to replace them with a dirty cello in a claustrophobic reverb space. Love the percussion, so if you're out of ideas for now give it a week off and then come back to it.
Old 13th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I like it but those long sustaining bass notes are a bit lacking in texture for me. For some reason I desperately wanted to replace them with a dirty cello in a claustrophobic reverb space. Love the percussion, so if you're out of ideas for now give it a week off and then come back to it.
Thanks. MaybeI'll try and dirty up that bass sound. It was just a mopho preset albeit, my favourite mopho preset (bank 1 patch 65 Bass Pedals).
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

It's going very well. I think just keep working on it.

It does need to move more when sounds are static... e.g. if it's a long sound, then let it evolve somehow (maybe use a process and automation - simple solution). Only needs to be subtle, people don't even need to consciously know that's happening.

I like the sparkly high end on the percussion. Really nice. At about 2 mins after the build up, some lovely colour notes in the chords are present. I personally would bring these out and let them serve as a kind of melody. There is a sort of melody, embedded in it - make it a bit more obvious (but don't change the notes).

The beat needs to develop and change up, especially after about the 2 min mark. Well, they are already developing, but there are couple of literal repetitions in there which happen a little too much and could be subtly varied.

I like the glitchiness. I recommend listening to Autchre's Exai at this point, to see how it is possible to have something extremely repetitive yet constantly evolving.

One more piece of advice:

Don't feel you have to ask for it!! Best just to get it done Or, at least, don't feel you have to take the advice - we're all too differing in our opinions
Old 13th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
It's going very well. I think just keep working on it.

It does need to move more when sounds are static... e.g. if it's a long sound, then let it evolve somehow (maybe use a process and automation - simple solution). Only needs to be subtle, people don't even need to consciously know that's happening.

I like the sparkly high end on the percussion. Really nice. At about 2 mins after the build up, some lovely colour notes in the chords are present. I personally would bring these out and let them serve as a kind of melody. There is a sort of melody, embedded in it - make it a bit more obvious (but don't change the notes).

The beat needs to develop and change up, especially after about the 2 min mark. Well, they are already developing, but there are couple of literal repetitions in there which happen a little too much and could be subtly varied.

I like the glitchiness. I recommend listening to Autchre's Exai at this point, to see how it is possible to have something extremely repetitive yet constantly evolving.

One more piece of advice:

Don't feel you have to ask for it!! Best just to get it done Or, at least, don't feel you have to take the advice - we're all too differing in our opinions
Thanks for the detailed and useful feedback. Yeah the vet is just a four bar loop I made on my mduw. I was working on this today at work so I didn't have it with me, but I'm thinking I will add a small breakdown to break it up a bit.

How would you suggest bringing out the colour notes? With EQ?

Thanks again for the feedback. Fresh ears are a godsend.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post

How would you suggest bringing out the colour notes? With EQ?

Thanks again for the feedback. Fresh ears are a godsend.
I don't know what instrument you used to do them, but can't you just change the velocity of those notes within the chord?

If you can't for some reason, then maybe highlight them with another layer playing the same notes in unison, maybe an octave up.

I wouldn't do it with EQ
Old 13th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I don't know what instrument you used to do them, but can't you just change the velocity of those notes within the chord?

If you can't for some reason, then maybe highlight them with another layer playing the same notes in unison, maybe an octave up.

I wouldn't do it with EQ
Not sure which bit you mean, but might just be part of the automation on alchemy. Is it the delayed stringy synth that fades in? or do you mean the really really quiet juno line that comes in for about four bars and is almost inaudiable?

EDIT: I got moved. Sorry for pissing people off. Didnt realise this section existed.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

I dig it. SOunds current, drum patterns are nice. I can see a pop hit in it. Not finished, but definitely a great direction.
Old 14th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
I dig it. SOunds current, drum patterns are nice. I can see a pop hit in it. Not finished, but definitely a great direction.
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 14th June 2013
Can't wait to hear this when you put a vocal on this. Great start!
Old 14th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowick View Post
Can't wait to hear this when you put a vocal on this. Great start!
No plans for a vocal. My voice sucks lol.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search