The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Secret Mountains "High Horse" Practice Mix
Old 12th June 2013
Here for the gear

Secret Mountains "High Horse" Practice Mix

This is a practice mix I did in Presonus Studio One.I have other mixes on my soundcloud channel, but to me, this is my best work. Regardless, I would like some feedback from some of the more experienced engineers. I had just graduated from a college program for Audio Recording and Production in December, so i've been doing a lot of practice mixes to prepare myself for actual work when the time comes.

https://soundcloud.com/gregarmbruste...ins-high-horse
Old 19th June 2013
Gear Nut
Hi

Here is my humble opinion on your mix.

The vocals sound boxy and a bit soft.
Kick lacks body.
The snare has a bit too much low end.
Drums sound a bit dry esp respect to all the rest.
The bass lacks a bit of low end.
The left guitar and reverb sound loud.

I mixed this song too, but I have to recover it in another computer, if you are interested I can upload it and you can review/comment mine as well.
Old 19th June 2013
Gear Nut
Hey I checked out "Promises and Lies" as well
This sounds quite good!!

That snare sounds fantastic!

I cant say I love the rhythm guitars.

I would imagine using some delay on the guitar solo.

Maybe the vocals could use a bit more bite
Old 20th June 2013
Here for the gear

Well i appreciate your feedback. To me, i thought the drums sounded adequate, though i do agree maybe the snare has a bit too much low end on it, but I don't think it brings down everything else.You can upload your version and i'll listen to it. As for "Promises and Lies", I love the snare sound too The drums as a whole were recorded pretty well to begin with, so i only had to do minor tweaking, same with the bass drum. Vocals probably could of used more bite as you said, but I also think they sound well enough regardless. The guitars were actually a bit tricky and i wasnt crazy with how they sounded in the raw tracks, but I did what i could with those.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search