The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please Critique My Mix
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Please Critique My Mix

Hi All,

As a musician teaching myself to mix I'd like any and all opinions on a mix I am working on. In your opinion what did I get right and what did I get wrong? And more importantly, how do you suggest I improve it?

One thing that is frustrating is that when I apply replay gain to my mixes and compare to professional mixes (with replay gain applied) I always perceive the pro mixes as louder (for the same dB level). My main goal right now with this mix is to get it so that if the song is on a random playlist (using replay gain) it won't "disappear" in relation to the other songs on the list.

I realize there is a mastering phase which I'm missing, but I do plan to send my mixes to a mastering engineer. In you opinion what can I expect a mastering engineer to achieve with what I've come up with.

This mix is here:
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddachile View Post
Hi All,

As a musician teaching myself to mix I'd like any and all opinions on a mix I am working on. In your opinion what did I get right and what did I get wrong? And more importantly, how do you suggest I improve it?

One thing that is frustrating is that when I apply replay gain to my mixes and compare to professional mixes (with replay gain applied) I always perceive the pro mixes as louder (for the same dB level). My main goal right now with this mix is to get it so that if the song is on a random playlist (using replay gain) it won't "disappear" in relation to the other songs on the list.

I realize there is a mastering phase which I'm missing, but I do plan to send my mixes to a mastering engineer. In you opinion what can I expect a mastering engineer to achieve with what I've come up with.

This mix is here:
Cool song. I think it's a great mix. My only suggestion would be to turn down the guitar solo(s) when it comes in just a hair, and maybe pan the higher double of the solo off center for some more width, as it's not immediately obvious that there is a higher double. Unless you were going for subtle!

Also, my suggestion for not getting your mix "lost" in a random playlist would be to not just look at the actual volume of the song in relation to mastered songs, but I'd use a spectrum analyzer and look at which frequencies seem to stand out. It seems like a good portion of music these days has a good amount of their high's boosted slightly; if you take two identical copies of the same song and boost the high's on one, and level match afterward, the one with the high's boosted will sound louder and more "in your face".

Honestly though, I'd leave it up to a mastering engineer to bring the levels up and put the finishing touches on it. Whatever mastering engineer you go with (if you do go with one) will probably want you to leave the master bus clean without limiting.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks very much for you input catawbawine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catawbawine View Post
Cool song. I think it's a great mix. My only suggestion would be to turn down the guitar solo(s) when it comes in just a hair, and maybe pan the higher double of the solo off center for some more width, as it's not immediately obvious that there is a higher double. Unless you were going for subtle!
I was indeed going for subtle but I'll try kicking up the higher doubles (there's two of them actually, so it's a triple) to check if that works better.

Quote:
Also, my suggestion for not getting your mix "lost" in a random playlist would be to not just look at the actual volume of the song in relation to mastered songs, but I'd use a spectrum analyzer and look at which frequencies seem to stand out. It seems like a good portion of music these days has a good amount of their high's boosted slightly; if you take two identical copies of the same song and boost the high's on one, and level match afterward, the one with the high's boosted will sound louder and more "in your face".

Honestly though, I'd leave it up to a mastering engineer to bring the levels up and put the finishing touches on it.
Nice suggestion on the spectrum analyzer. I see what your saying about boosting highs. I think that applies to the lows too. I think I'll leave that to the mastering engineer. At this point my main concern is getting the balances good and not making a mistake that will make it impossible for the ME to achieve a competitive perceived loudness.

Quote:
Whatever mastering engineer you go with (if you do go with one) will probably want you to leave the master bus clean without limiting.
I'm definitely sending this to an ME when the mix is done and I won't be sending him/her a brickwall limited file. I used a limiter in the clip (which is a heavily edited version of this 3:30 minute song) but the ME will get a file with some headroom to play with.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Addict

Bump
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Maniac

It's a good mix. You can push the limiter more but it sounds at a reasonable level to me. By the way, I love the song and the crunchy guitars. Good work!
Old 26th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
It's a good mix. You can push the limiter more but it sounds at a reasonable level to me. By the way, I love the song and the crunchy guitars. Good work!
Thanks. I'm going to leave pushing the limiter to the ME.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search