The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Okay Mr Lau,I would like some mojo please.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Okay Mr Lau,I would like some mojo please.

Mr Lau, I am taking you up on an offer to run my work through your analog mojo.

Here it is and THANKS!!!!

It's an mp3 so I don't expect fantastic quality,I am just curious as to how it will sound when you are done doing your thang.

fb
Attached Files

Witch Hunt to Mr Lau.mp3 (8.59 MB, 74 views)

Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Mojo jojo

This time, DBX 165 wasn't appropiate, so I put Distressor in parallel, EQP1A to shape the midrange and shelves to compensate compression

I don't own a Fairchild, so I glued with Bootsy Density heh

Oh, a little Bootsy Epicverb too
Attached Files

witch hunt.mp3 (8.56 MB, 79 views)

Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Mr Lau,thanks. You really managed to keep the bass loud and strong. I intentionally mixed the track to have a hot bass because I thought some would get lost when you compressed the track. Your mastering process has been very educational. I might try and do another mix with a little less bass and louder violin.

Thanks again for offering to help out so many "slutz".

fb
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

OP, cool song! Mr. Lau -- great work man Fun to hear the before and after, and trying to guess what you did without reading your post!
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
Hey Mr Lau,thanks. You really managed to keep the bass loud and strong. I intentionally mixed the track to have a hot bass because I thought some would get lost when you compressed the track. Your mastering process has been very educational. I might try and do another mix with a little less bass and louder violin.

Thanks again for offering to help out so many "slutz".

fb

You forced me to use Distressor instead of my beloved DBX 165's and glue with Bootsy Density instead of Neve 542's!!! LOL

I found the violin a little too loud, the 165 tends to bring midrange more in front, your track could benefit from more guitar, and the drums have good attack, had to tame with a Fairchild style bus compressor. And for the bass, Distressor's HPF sidechain was the key, along with the smooth character of Manley Pultec EQP1A.

Now share the educational stuff you mentioned with the community!

My contribution for you pals is that when you want transients to cut thru the mix, a precise attack and release compressor is a must, and slower smoother opto keeps everything controlled without 'jumpy' peaks.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catawbawine View Post
OP, cool song! Mr. Lau -- great work man Fun to hear the before and after, and trying to guess what you did without reading your post!
I'd like to hear 1176+API

Excessive warmness is a side effect of 165+542, like your other song
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catawbawine View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement!

fb
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Okay Mr Lau,this is the last request because I don't want to impose on you too much. If I could get one more pass.This is the same song but a totally different mix.

Thanks again.

fb
Attached Files

Witch Hunt to mr lau test2.mp3 (8.59 MB, 39 views)

Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

This week is plenty of music and post production for video for me...

I was this afternoon at the studio, and I put your track thru Dangerous Music BAX EQ, DBX 165, and Anamod ATS1 tape sim (digital I think?).

Added a little Altiverb, rendered a nice wav with HUGE transient peaks.

Back home, I fell asleep, I woke up a couple of hours ago, I limited and rendered this:

Oh no! What settings did I use?
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Edit: Added non limited version too
Attached Files

witch hunt 2.mp3 (7.50 MB, 48 views)

witch hunt 2 no limiter.mp3 (7.50 MB, 46 views)

Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lau View Post
Back home, I fell asleep, I woke up a couple of hours ago, I limited and rendered this:
Sleep? What's that?

Thanks again for taking the time to process this track. Analog sure does add some warmth. I think my mix still needs a lot of work,so I am going back to my little ITB studio.

Thanks again,and don't work too hard!

fb
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Analog adds certain character to the sound, high freqs can be destroyed with it, the BAX is one of those evil EQ's....

....Warmth is a personal preference of mine heh

Manley IMHO is better for warming up stuff
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting another mix(no limiter). It does sound a little more clear,but the mix still needs some work.

Thanks.

fb
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search