The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cool Indie Rock Band I'm Producing...Thoughts?
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear
Cool Indie Rock Band I'm Producing...Thoughts?

Hey guys!

I wanted to throw up a song from the current album I'm working on producing with a really cool band. I can't really think of who they might sound like...which is leaving the production/mixing wide open for me. I like the vibe I've got going so far. Hope you enjoy it!
Attached Files

Bittersweet Mix1 Loud.mp3 (5.53 MB, 152 views)

Old 16th May 2013
Was expecting something totally different when reading the topic, this sounds very mainstream to me. Anyway, good luck with the project.

/Jon
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

Not bad, I'd use less verb tho, and the vocals are too loud.

The vocal performance needs improvement. The lead guitar section is way too long, and there are some odd notes.

But you still working on this, so I think it has potential.

Sorry if I was harsh, it's MHO, nothing more...
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllet View Post
Was expecting something totally different when reading the topic, this sounds very mainstream to me. Anyway, good luck with the project.

/Jon
Hey Jon. I can see that...they do have somewhat of a mainstream vibe...but I think it's their arrangement (super long guitar solo, not your typical verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc.) that "to me" sounds different and gives me a hard time putting my finger on their "genre." I guess I should point out that I am more so engineering/mixing the record than producing. They weren't really wanting to change to much when I met with them, although I did suggest a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lau View Post
Not bad, I'd use less verb tho, and the vocals are too loud.

The vocal performance needs improvement. The lead guitar section is way too long, and there are some odd notes.

But you still working on this, so I think it has potential.

Sorry if I was harsh, it's MHO, nothing more...
Not harsh at all. Good points. I made several suggestions at the beginning of the session when analyzing the song...such as less drum rolls, arrangement changes, too long of solo)...but they liked it all the way it was. Nothing wrong with that...so I stepped back and played engineer/mixer. I agree though, I'm thinking of doing a "radio comp" of the song to present to them to get thoughts...where I shorten the solo, and add more of the catchy vocal parts toward the end so it doesn't end with a long solo like it does now.

I'm still working on shaping the mix...any suggestions for me? I do agree the vocal is a tad loud for this song...I'll think about the reverb comment. It's more of a delay on the vocal feeding a reverb on there right now.
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, vocals at 3:10

Softer vocals in first verse before the drums enter

More agressive guitar tone at 1:40
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Head

drums and vocals down 1db,, and a new lead guitarist jk
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search