The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do I need a mastering? Old school groove rock
Old 14th May 2013
Here for the gear

Do I need a mastering? Old school groove rock

I have a sideproject called Rogue Elephant, a sort of a 70s rock thing, I am done with the mixing and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Now, I sent away a song for mastering but it never came back the way I wanted it, it just made the song squashed and thin.

All I want is to digitally release the songs online, so it's nothing super ambitious.

Here is a link with one of the songs:
https://soundcloud.com/rogue-elephan...ag-me-down-mp3

What do you guys think, would my project benefit from a mastering or is it good enough the way it is?
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

souds pretty good to me

needs a little limiting
Old 15th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0el View Post
souds pretty good to me

needs a little limiting
Thanx
You mean it needs to be louder?
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Nut
Sounds really good, Great song. Are you guys old school metal guys? I hear it alot in the playing.... I could be wrong.
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Nut

Nice work! Good song, too. I don't know enough to say whether or not it needs mastering, but I do feel like I'm a pretty bad mixer when I listen to stuff like this.
Old 23rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot!
I suppose we are old school metal in a way, the vocalist sings in an old school thrash metal band and me(guitar, bass, keyboards) and the drummer are quite fanatics about the early 80s heavy metal..
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Head

Great Mix dude!! Reminds me a little cage the elphant with some rival sons!!

Could you gimme some light on what you've done with that guitars? Gear + mixing approach? Really like it!

Heh
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Head

Ps.: I wouldnt touch a thing on the mix, but, yeah, it isnt "commercial ultraloud". So I guess a little limiting wouldnt hurt.

Now... Just saying, if you're not into the way it comes from the master, it may be the professional. Right here on the forum we have some guys that can make miracles when it comes to mastering. Mr. Lau is one of those, and he would know how to deal with your mix the right way (talking about transients, dynamics - the prior stuff that defines a "loud it up" to a really master engineer, IMO)

But, just to say it again: great track!!
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Head

The prior stuff that separate ***** I mean.
Old 23rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by braztneme View Post
Great Mix dude!! Reminds me a little cage the elphant with some rival sons!!

Could you gimme some light on what you've done with that guitars? Gear + mixing approach? Really like it!

Heh
Thanks man!! I did listen to some Rival Sons for inspiration for this project so you're right about that one

The guitars are recorded with a US Fender Strat, and it's straight into Guitar Rig 5 on my computer. I tried recording it with a mic'ed Marshall JVM but I actually preferred the sound from Guitar Rig 5, I really recommend it! The best guitar plug-in there is.
I used the Waves NLS channel to give it some analog overdriven/wild touch, other than that it's pretty much some eq:ing, hi-cuts and lo-cuts, and some spring reverb.
Glad you like it!
Old 24th May 2013
Here for the gear

It's great! I really like it! And,........it's complete!

:beer: Dennis
Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjorven View Post
Thanx
You mean it needs to be louder?
yeh with the peaks slightly limited

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search