The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How can I spice up this intro to my song or....
Old 14th May 2013
Here for the gear

How can I spice up this intro to my song or....

So I'm working on my first synth-y retro-y keyboard-y song and I'm kinda stuck on the intro. I mean it's probably okay but I feel like its lacking or perhaps too short or something? Would anyone mind giving me some tips or advice :p I would greatly appreciate it!!! I'll give you credit for the help

https://soundcloud.com/brandon-kerse...und-demo-intro
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

Not sure this is in the right place --

What does that mean spice it up.

If you are just talking about sonically sounds fine just needs some EQ and a bit of soft compression. Though nobody but you knows what is in your head... sometimes its best to just leave things as they are than mess with them just for the sake of messing with them.
Old 14th May 2013
Here for the gear

yeah I was wondering if this was the right spot D; I'm not talking production wise or anything, but like... the structure of the song if that makes sense? I'm stressing about how the intro sounds. thank you for your response.
Old 15th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharkus View Post
yeah I was wondering if this was the right spot D; I'm not talking production wise or anything, but like... the structure of the song if that makes sense? I'm stressing about how the intro sounds. thank you for your response.
Call me dumb, but maybe the "advice requested" forum is the right place? I know it's a little way down the list....
Old 16th May 2013
Here's some things to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharkus View Post
So I'm working on my first synth-y retro-y keyboard-y song and I'm kinda stuck on the intro. I mean it's probably okay but I feel like its lacking or perhaps too short or something? Would anyone mind giving me some tips or advice :p I would greatly appreciate it!!! I'll give you credit for the help

https://soundcloud.com/brandon-kerse...und-demo-intro
I usually save the intro to last, as it's easy to get stuck. My workflow goes like this:

Main Beat
Bassline
Sub
Leads

Once I have a core figured out I work on variations. If I get stuck there I have a generally good idea of where it will ultimately go and then I might work on the intro.

Before all of that though I usually have an idea. It could be a full blown concept (like we're currently working on), a philosophical idea, or even just a simple emotion. After that I let the song dictate what it will sound like. Sometimes it's dark, complex or simple, or has a sound (i.e., synthy).

I find that my most favorite albums are concept ones. Trivium's The Crusade, Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral, and Pink Floyd's The Wall to name a few.

This is just how I work things out. Everyone has different creative workflows.

What you have posted is nice. It does need some EQing. It is a little muddy and can be cleaned up by shaping your sounds to fit in a particular part of the sound spectrum. Muddy generally is a problem in the lower end of the spectrum (i.e., sub-bass, mid-bass, high-bass.) I'm guessing there is a lot going on around 60-220 Hz. My ears aren't as good as others, but they're getting there

I finally found what I was looking for... Check out how the audio spectrum breaks down. Generally it breaks down into 5 parts: Sub (16Hz-60Hz), Bass (60Hz-250Hz), Midrange (250Hz-2kHz), High Mids (2kHz-6kHz), High Frequencies (6kHz-20kHz). I'm giving the ranges so you know where to EQ. Don't go off what you see in a spectrum analyzer use your ears.

Here's a fairly good EQ article:

http://www.audio-production-tips.com...equalizer.html

Last edited by munnin; 16th May 2013 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Head

Before you record anything you should be able to play one of the instruments all the way through without making a mistake. If you leave arrangement as an after thought you will waste time and have tiresome loops to deal with. The real magic occurs when you know a melody or percussion line back to front and you add ghost notes.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search