The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Prog Rock / Hard Rock Mix HELP!!
Old 6th May 2013
Prog Rock / Hard Rock Mix HELP!!

Need some outside mix advice and comments on this before I send it off to mastering.

This is my band (Ghost Radio) and I'm pretty happy with the mix, but I feel there are still a few areas of concern. I'm not going to mention them, so you can listen un-biased and come up with your own opinion. I will say; this is my first mix using both Virtual Tape Machines and Virtual Console. Mixed in the box, Focusrite Liquid 56 for mic pres, Eleven Rack on guitars.

Appreciate it guys!

Link to song: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hygjbh6asb...%20Mix%202.mp3

SoundCloud (if you must.. :
Old 6th May 2013
What other similar artists come to mind for you? I'm always getting asked that question and I honestly have a hard time answering it.
Old 7th May 2013
Alright, updated the mix. Happier now...

Opinions?
Attached Files

If It's Over Mix 4.mp3 (8.02 MB, 96 views)

Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

It's not bad, but it's not catchy. Almost sounds like the vocals and the music are fighting each other. If I were to do that song I would re-write the music around the vocalist, have him change some notes and not try to be so "Forced Happy".

Do you guys ever listen to Tool?

Old 8th May 2013
That was one of my own complaints, that the mix fights itself in the chorus. We did write the music for this one before we found our singer, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I'm not worried about it being "catchy" or not, as it's not intended to be a radio single.

I'm not a huge fan of Tool, however some of the guys in the band at one point were/are. I can see the connection in the bride of the song, when it comes to the vocals.

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
It's not bad, but it's not catchy. Almost sounds like the vocals and the music are fighting each other. If I were to do that song I would re-write the music around the vocalist.

Do you guys ever listen to Tool?
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungler View Post
That was one of my own complaints, that the mix fights itself in the chorus. We did write the music for this one before we found our singer, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I'm not worried about it being "catchy" or not, as it's not intended to be a radio single.

I'm not a huge fan of Tool, however some of the guys in the band at one point were/are. I can see the connection in the bride of the song, when it comes to the vocals.

Thanks for your input!
Well then either change your style or get another vocalist.
Old 8th May 2013
Here for the gear

Personally i think this sounds fantastic. Well done, i'd kill to get my stuff sounding like that.
Old 8th May 2013
LOL

Quote:
Well then either change your style or get another vocalist.
Old 8th May 2013
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreaKSir View Post
Personally i think this sounds fantastic. Well done, i'd kill to get my stuff sounding like that.
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

For example...

Old 8th May 2013

Quote:
For example...

Old 8th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
For example...

I'm sure all of us would love Andy Wallace to mix our stuff... lol
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreaKSir View Post
I'm sure all of us would love Andy Wallace to mix our stuff... lol
Lol. I know. But apparently anyone can do that on a laptop these days...
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

the snare needs some eq i recon, and less volume and the whole mix will change

aparts from that i like it good job
Old 14th May 2013
Got the final master back from Drew Mazurek. Made some mix tweaks before I sent it off. Pleased with it... here it is for anyone that cares to listen!

Download: Free Song: If It's Over
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got the final master back from Drew Mazurek. Made some mix tweaks before I sent it off. Pleased with it... here it is for anyone that cares to listen!

I was wrong. Now that the mix sounds radio ready it's much more "catchy".
Old 15th May 2013
Quote:
I was wrong. Now that the mix sounds radio ready it's much more "catchy".
Glad to hear that I fixed it.... and that you still haven't fixed your attitude.

Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:

I think it sounds really good. The style of music isn't really my bag, I am more of an old school rock / metal guy, and in my past have even dabbled in power pop. This in my opinion is more nu school to me, along the lines of my chemical romance. But the mix sounds good. Good tones, good balance. don't worry about the haters!
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

last mix is sounding pretty nice.

programmed drums are slightly distracting to me, but not a lot you can do. I kind of want to hear more room mics.

I'd also pull up the guitars and bass more, the drums are dominating a bit too much for me.

good work. i like the vocals for this stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search