The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What do you think?
Old 25th April 2013
What do you think?

Hey,

I've been doing a few recordings and mixes of covers for college (also for practice) and I was wondering if anyone could give some helpful advice/tips...
Here's my latest mix of the song 'Stay' by Rihanna:
Stayhttp://www.soundcloud.com/bradforderz/stay

Thanks very much.
Old 25th April 2013
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradforderz View Post
Hey,

I've been doing a few recordings and mixes of covers for college (also for practice) and I was wondering if anyone could give some helpful advice/tips...
Here's my latest mix of the song 'Stay' by Rihanna:
StayStay by Bradley Davies-Cannon on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Thanks very much.
belongs to the work in progress section.
Old 25th April 2013
My Inputs

First off, Glasgow! My family pre WWI had a home in Glasgow and one in the country -- my great great grandparents, I believe. Then most of the family moved to the US. I've been to the UK many times but not to Scotland, I'm remiss to admit. Next time . . .

OK, the piano bit is "uninspired" if I may be bold, no dynamics, seems very mechanical, and is too high and forward in the mix. The vocalist sounds very promising, but is too low in the mix, and sounds pushed back some. The other element, the strings, are probably at a good level relative to the vocal, but the piano comes through too much into the foreground to the detriment of other elements. The ending fades too abruptly, but that's easy to fix.

Hope this helps. Keep at it, there's a lot to learn -- I've been at audio for decades and still learn something almost daily.
Old 25th April 2013
Thanks for the advice sound-guy, I'll get on it for sure. There is a part of the vocals with reverse reverb and delay on it at about the 2.45-3.02 mark that i was worried about, what are your thoughts on that?
Cheers. Hope you make it Scotland soon.
Old 26th April 2013
Reverse Reverb

Very hard to hear the reverb due to the low level of the vocal relative to piano. See if you can bring the vocal up (or piano down) and we'll see. Note, I may be a day or in replying since I don't access Gearslutz every day (people to see, places to go, as The Doctor would say . . .)

Keep at it!
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Brad! Love this copy. Like the stark piano (adds to the simplistic mood the song generates), nice, not overproduced, yes, piano volume down a notch or 2 here and there. Still, you want the track to only reminisce Rihanna's work. Great vocalist! After a few bars of the piano you may want to add a low key stereo pair of tracks of bacon frying for warmth. That and a pinch of salt. Rihanna original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPCUXN4-xI
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Of course, you could always add a bit of tasteful percussion: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...rum-track.html
Old 13th May 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys!
I have done a new mix of this song now, however I think that the vocals a little loud now...?

https://soundcloud.com/bradforderz/stay
Old 14th May 2013
New Mix

Hi Brad,

I just shut down my studio for the night and was checking email and posts, so I could listen to your new mix only on some 'c...p' tiny netbook speakers. It does sound like the vocal is loud, but tomorrow I'll run the mix in my studio and give you more complete feedback.

Sound-Guy
Old 14th May 2013
Better!

Hi Brad,

It sounds better than I recall the previous version (but that version has been replaced even from your original link). Vocal is very 'up-front', maybe a little too 'up-front' and louder than ideal, but I can hear the subtle vocal reverb on this version. Lyndsey's vocals are very good, miking on her voice is fine, no sibilance or pops. Although a different mic might fill out her tone more (vocal is a bit thin, but it works). Strings work well too.

I listened to a few other pieces on SoundCloud -- some nice work! Good luck on your future musical creations.

Sound-Guy
Old 15th May 2013
Hey,

Thanks for all your advice and comments, much appreciated.

Here is the third and final version (at least until I can afford a iMac and Logic for myself instead of using college equipment) of my mix: https://soundcloud.com/bradforderz/stay

I needed to replace the link as this was originally for my graded unit for college. However you can refer back you my original mix if you'd like: Stay (1st Mix) by Bradley Davies-Cannon on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Also, thanks for listening to my other stuff on soundcloud, and thanks for the comment, most of it is from about a year ago, and I've learnt a lot since then, I hope to upload some more current stuff soon.
Old 15th May 2013
Also, that microphone that was used was the AKG 414 with just a cheap £7 pop shield.
Old 16th May 2013
Good Balance

I'd say you've got all the elements well balanced now, and a good mix for a 'minimalist' approach, which is obviously what you were striving for. Good job!

The AKG 414 is a fine mic, but of course every vocalist-mic combination can yield different results. And it's pretty well impossible to predict the results of a given singer with a particular mic. Sometimes the results are very surprising! I've got several AKG, as well as RODE, CAD,and MXL mics (and of course several dynamics like Shure and Audio Technica) -- never know which will sound best to a singer given their tone and mic technique. It's part of the fun of recording!

Keep on recording and mixing -- hope you get your own mixing kit soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search