The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rock/Exp Song, Fully mixed with Nebula!
Old 7th April 2013
Thumbs up Rock/Exp Song, Fully mixed with Nebula!

Hello my friends,

This time i would like to share this little mix and experience i've had with Nebula so far. I think that in some way, even if the workflow sucks a bit, it's really worth it !

On this song, the only waves plugins used were the NLS and the H-Delay.
Everything else was processed through nebula, then dropped on PT LE8. It all glued together with ease imho, with a bit of fader work!

I'm not too fond with the tool itself, been using it for a month or so!

So what do you think?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7261693/12%20mix.mp3
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Sounds a little bit 'muffled'. Sorry for the crap description but the general feel is its lacking some high end.
Otherwise sounds nice and tight.
Old 8th April 2013
Yes, it does sound a little muddy. I think the bass guitar needs the low end shifted down to some lower frequencies and more attack. You're on the right path, just not quite there. The bass guitar is also a little sloppy in some parts (timing), I'm sure that could be tightened up.
Old 8th April 2013
:D

Hey! Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Yeah, i think it may be corrected carefully treating the bass eq/level That would improve the perception of bright frequencies right? — I've always had a hard time getting my low end right!

About the timing, well i pretty much like it with the sloppiness, imho i think it helps the drum machine's lack of feel. Did complete section takes and they feel quite good, but sure, i'll look into it :D

Again, thank you! :D
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

It is very muffled, I had a full response written on fixes and such, but I guess it didn't respond to the server when I pressed send.

Anyways, it sounds like you have WAY too much processing going on. This muds the crap out of things, especially when using plugins.

You are monitoring too loud or monitoring way too quiet. It's obvious because your highs are low. Meaning, the harsh frequencies are lower in perception than your lower frequencies.

Try to find a spot (Volume wise, by listening to a song on itunes or something) where you can hear everything in the mix. Memorize this. And by memorize it, I mean consciously practice getting your volume right, and know how everything should sound at that volume. Don't just write it down. Practice.
Old 9th April 2013
I totally understand why you feel having the bass a little less tighter may restore some life to the drums, but look at it this way...

Since the drums and guitars are so tight and spot on... it makes anything else that is slightly out of time, very noticeable. So I don't think it's doing the drums a favor. I think it's mostly just in the second half, it seems to tighten up later in the song however.

I use Superior Drummer a lot, sometimes with a v-drum kit, sometimes with an M-Audio trigger finger. When I quantize the parts, depending on the song I won't set the strength to 100%. This can keep a little bit of feel in the performance. There are also times that I purposely shift kick drum tripletts or snare rolls around to make them sound more lifelike. There's also MUCH time spent on adjusting velocities. All depends on what you're going for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder10 View Post
:D

Hey! Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Yeah, i think it may be corrected carefully treating the bass eq/level That would improve the perception of bright frequencies right? — I've always had a hard time getting my low end right!

About the timing, well i pretty much like it with the sloppiness, imho i think it helps the drum machine's lack of feel. Did complete section takes and they feel quite good, but sure, i'll look into it :D

Again, thank you! :D
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

You guys are overanalysing it. I like the mix a lot. yeah a bit dark but fits the song. its great like that. its a breath of fresh air always hearing too much bright modern mixes.. great song and playing. all that matters

when did you use NLS? on busses? master? each track? did you use Nebula consoles programs like alexb?

good work again (y)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search