The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nickelback...you WILL get a laugh at this!
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nickelback...you WILL get a laugh at this!

Ok most of us have heard of Nickelback right? Well, here is an excellent example of 'formula writing'! Listen to the whole thing you will be amazed.

Have fun!

dfegad
Attached Files

Nickelback.mp3 (3.61 MB, 3930 views)

Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

I've heard about this... but actually hearing it for yourself is crazy.

It really lines up perfectly - how sad. These guys are like the Big Mac of pop rock. Great post!

Thanks - Rez
Old 29th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

omg. that's hilarious.

i've heard a hundred ballads that do the same thing too. most "pop" music is like this to some degree but these two songs are essentially copies of each other!

super lazy/lame. i bet it goes platinum
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio
Ok most of us have heard of Nickelback right? Well, here is an excellent example of 'formula writing'! Listen to the whole thing you will be amazed.

Have fun!

dfegad
Whoa! Never though THIS to be possible. Where is all the musical integrity gone? Tsts.
Gear Maniac

Ha ha ha,

I actually think it sounds better like this!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest19
Ha ha ha,

I actually think it sounds better like this!
+100000

heard this when it was first posted some time in the last year. don't remember exactly when. but talk about cookie-cutter.
Gear Nut

I saw a clip of a news program that was showing some computer algorithm that created songs in the format most likely to become a hit,, you just push a button and a senseles ,, lifeless drone of melodies and arangements comes out that will be sure to please the masses,,, I Love it!!!

Keep up the good work Nickle back !! If people are stupid enough buy and listen to that bs,,I say god bless an go foward.
Old 30th June 2006 | Show parent
The guy who put the two songs together DID adjust them for tempo and/or key... but otherwise they're pretty much out of the tube.

He got so much feedback he went looking and found two more Nickleback songs that matched up almost exactly (again, with a little tempo adjustment, I think).

Anyhow, I haven't heard the second pair but the first pair is, indeed, utterly hilarious.

That said, I can usually identify a Paul Simon melody within a single line, it seems like they all have the same moves, made out of the same fragments... and he seems to garner more respect each year. (Me, I think he's fielded some great back up bands but I haven't actually liked his writing much since S&G days... Kodachrome had its moments but I got sick of it 30 years ago and it's stuck. I still can't hear that album without reaching for the reject button. It's just me, I know.)
Old 1st July 2006 | Show parent
Heh...I actually checked that file in mono to see if it would disappear...
Old 2nd July 2006 | Show parent
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto
Heh...I actually checked that file in mono to see if it would disappear...
and? - did the drums phase?
Gear Head

HAH!!!

I don't care if that's "so last year" as I've never heard it before. Thanks for the hilarious post!
Gear Head

haha this is the version they should play on the radio. Show the rest of the world how brainless they are. Or...wait...did they do this on purpose? No, that takes foresight, they aren't capable of that.

By the way, why does Nickelback still exist? Why do they still play them on the radio? Are the radio stations out of the loop? I have never met a SINGLE person who liked this band. They get joked on all the time. Who likes these guys? Where are the morons that call in and say "play Nickelback! they're my favorite band!" Seriously, this can't be what people want to hear. I think that the real morons are the radio station employees and executives who dicided that this was "good music" and thought it would be a good idea to play it twice an hour every day for a couple of years.
Gear Maniac

hahahahahaha
Gear Maniac

awesome... can't stop laughing!
Here for the gear

I remember the first time I heard this... one of my friends (an obsessive indie guy like me) IMed me and said "I'm going to send you the most incredible song you'll ever have heard in your life. Let's sync it up." I didn't really realize what it was at first, but once it clicked I started laughing hysterically and I don't think I stopped until the song had been over for a good while.
Old 3rd July 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It is sooooooo last year, but people need to be reminded how utterly lame this band is!!!!!

F**king Hilarious.
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

That's hilarious, but sad.
Remember the Grunge Formula Song that I think weird Al did?
Same thing.
Old 8th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Cute!

But they are rich and they sound great.
Lame?
The obviously enjoy playing and writing the music they do.
While that may be defined as "lame" by some people...
It sounds like lots of fun to me!

Nice work, if you can get it.

We'd all be so lucky to be so "lame."

Do you have any idea of what kind of awesome gear that that band has in their home studio?
Most of us can only dream of owning equipment like N.B.'s.

Love them or hate them, Nickleback is great at what they do.
Old 8th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nickelback isn't the only guilty party here, the airwaves are filled with formula bands in all styles of music. There's plenty of blame to go around, not the least being monopoly air-wave owners. I very seldom listen to the radio these days. Alot of my new music selections comes from finding hidden treasures on forums like this one.

Now back to nickelback...They can't be excused for putting out another song that clearly is just a re-hash of their first big hit. I would like to have that guys voice though.
Old 31st August 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

HAHAHA...thats pretty funny. I've heard about this thing before but never listened to it until now.

You could also look at it this way

"How your remind me" + "Someday" = A brand new house on an episode of cribs, and a bathroom i can play basball in and a king sized tub big enough for 10 plus me...ALSO...a credit card thats got no limit, and a big black jet with bedroom in it, so i can join the mile high club at 37 thousand feet!!!

OK...the whole jet thing was a lie....dfegad

Lives for gear

hahahahha
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoi View Post
HAHAHA...thats pretty funny. I've heard about this thing before but never listened to it until now.

You could also look at it this way

"How your remind me" + "Someday" = A brand new house on an episode of cribs, and a bathroom i can play basball in and a king sized tub big enough for 10 plus me...ALSO...a credit card thats got no limit, and a big black jet with bedroom in it, so i can join the mile high club at 37 thousand feet!!!

OK...the whole jet thing was a lie....dfegad
Great tune Joe! (my fav of theirs)

I watched an interview once w/ Chad how he explained that he asked lots of people why they thought "how you remind me" was a hit. he got responses like the fast intro, the call and responce lines in the chorus etc... i guess he just stuck a little too close . . .

I also heard steven tyler say in an interview that he writes the cheesy songs so he can put the cool ones on the album as well. . . said he liked having a million dollars in the bank. (I agree w/ that)

i dunno. out of all the crap I hear going on w/ music and songwriting, Nickelback is the lest of the problems . . . .

funny mp3 though
Lives for gear

Keep laughing at N.B.
They are laughing too...
All the way to the bank.

I detect a tad of jealousy and hostility here.
As I said before...
Gee, I'd hate to be Nickleback.
Most chicks love them, they sell millions of records and they sound great.
They sell out at concerts and they write decent songs, that they obviously enjoy playing.
They also have tonnes of great gear and a world class studio.
It must really suck to be them.
What a "terrible" life.

We could all be so "unlucky."

Lives for gear

Hold on ...

OK...

At a first glance (listen) this looks how lame NB and the state of the pop world is.

HOWEVER...if you get over the obvious and concentrate, you come to a completely different realization. I'm sad that no one seems to really gotten that far...

The NB example shows only one thing...the reason why only melody and lyrics are copy writable. No one listening to these 2 songs on the radio (not on top of each other) was ever able to tell how close they are. Does it matter? Can I find any more songs that have the same chord progression and form (thats all it is)?...HUNDREDS! As for the key, its irrelevant...its a combo of the melody and register of the singer...

So...the famous NB clip proves how lame they are only if you can't get passed the obvious...and yes...I'm well prepared for the flames...bring it on!

ps. one of the tracks is edited to fit 100%...there is a bar or something missing...
Lives for gear

I used to love ZZ Top.
Remember the ELIMINATOR album?

Sharp dressed man and Give me all your loving are almost identical.

What's the big deal?

At least N.B.'s songs are on different albums.
Tonnes of bands use similar song-writing formulas in an attempt to garner more hit songs-records.

What about John Forgerty and CCR?
Tonnes of their material sounds very similar.
He was even charged with plagerism, for sounding too much like himself.

what about ACDC?
I don't see anyone here calling those guys lame, cheesy or sell-outs.
How similar do their songs sound?

Why the massive hate-on for Nickleback?

I see, it can only be that big, green-eyed monster!
Hey, jelousy!

And meanwhile back at the ranch, Nickleback laughs themselves all the way to a bigger bank.

Lives for gear

Funny, it always reminded me of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", moreso than "Someday". Even the arangement of the dynamics were similar.

It's interesting how I've found that songs that people really like, somehow remind them of another song that they really like.

Whaddaya supposed to do! Actually, I have a song that I've hid from most people only because it TOTALLY reminds of "Teen Spirit", much better though if I do say so myself. Maybe I should put it out there 'cause : "A brand new house on an episode of cribs, and a bathroom i can play basball in and a king sized tub big enough for 10 plus me...ALSO...a credit card thats got no limit, and a big black jet with bedroom in it, so i can join the mile high club at 37 thousand feet!!!" that don't sound badheh

If anyone here wants it, you can have it - no nickel and dimers though, see quote aboveheh
Old 1st September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I hear you, Kats!
It sure beats the hell out of playing the scumiest dives in the city for a few bucks a week.Drinking the cheapest beer avilable, eating Kraft dinner every second night and Chef B... The rest of the week.
Having sex with heroin addicts, meth freaks, crack-*****s and drunks.
Busking in lousy weather in order to to pay your heat and light bills in front of a liquor store and finally doing your first album on an old Fostex 4 track, with a noisy stomp box as your main FX unit.

Now that's true sacrifice for the love of music and art.

I'll take a spot in N.B. anytime.
Call me a, "sell-out."

All the way to the bank....
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Nut

I was just having this conversation

the other night. I can't believe that it is this blatant ! This is so wrong, on the upside I don't remember laughing this hard in ages. I think they sound better with the different songs playing at the same time. It certainly made them more interesting to listen to.
Old 21st February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

the builds being identical blows me away more than the chord structures being the same. that's just weird. duplicate arrangements? I've written a lot of crap and that never happens...

funny stuff
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear