The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dense Mix - DIY Folcrum - Apogees
Old 16th June 2006
Here for the gear

Dense Mix - DIY Folcrum - Apogees

I finally decided to stop Lurking. Gearslutz is the ****! ( not to be confused with the ****s )

Here's a mix I poured my heart and soul into that I would appreciate if you could flame it till it's burnt to a crisp! It's 70 tracks I mixed in Nuendo Going out of RME ADI-8 AE and Alesis AI3 ( 20 bit) into my DIY Folcrum ( NewYorkDave design ) which fed a UA 2-610 and then into 2 different AD's ( not at the same time ). First the RME ADI8 AE ( 44k 24 bit ) and next the Apogee Rosetta 200 ( 44k 16 bit UV22 )

Here are the wav files.

http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/id180555997

and

http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/id180518098

I used the tone generator in Nuendo to calibrate levels From Nuendo to the 2-610 and back in. I should also point out that I used bus compression on the Nuendo input and printed it during the mix recording pass ( Voxengo Marquis Comp ).
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damster

Here are the wav files.
You might want to upload (additional) mp3s, too. Downloading a 85MB wav file is too
much for most of the people here...

edit: Hey, welcome aboard!
Old 17th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tip. I thought maybe in the interest of preserving Quality............................. Nevertheless here are zee MP3's.

RME: http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/id186191196

and

Apogee:http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/id186190943

Please rip this mix Apart! RME owners......................you might be suprised!
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear
I like the apogee file better!

the mix is weird with panorama and depth, there is a center world (vocals), and a left world and a right world. not like a normal dense sound stage that surrounds me..

I like the music! though there are parts that are a bit "formula".
Old 18th June 2006
SRS
Lives for gear

Apogee mix sounds better. Has more depth and dimension to me. Nice work. It sounds a little "fragmented" to me though. I think it may have been what you were going for though. All the parts are kind of on their own in space and not integrated much. Good job though.
Old 18th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments Guys! I sure would appreciate some more feedback. Anything I can do to improve this mix?

I am up in Canada and we have this government funding assistance program here called FACTOR. It's bassically musicians welfare for making albums, Videos, Tour support etc. Since most of the major labels here can't do a thing without U.S. approval of some sort, there is alot of artists that NEED this money to get anything done. What's even more strange is that alot of the artists recieving this money today are signed established acts! It's getting harder for unknowns here to recieve these factor loans because so many established artists are applying and Canada's mandate does'nt seem to include breaking new artists. Oh well, This project is factor funded ( I think to the tune of $20,000 Can.) I won't see much of that for my mixing but hopefully the record will get picked up for distribution.

The band is called 'God made me Funky' and they kick ass live! Very formula tunes though like you mentioned.
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Apogee mix sounds better. Has more depth and dimension to me. Nice work. It sounds a little "fragmented" to me though. I think it may have been what you were going for though. All the parts are kind of on their own in space and not integrated much. Good job though.
I thought the Apogee mix seemed less "integrated", but more spacious. The other mix seemed denser, darker and more closed...claustrophobic. I'd really like a mix that combined some of the airiness of the Apogee, with the heaviness of the RME heh. It would seem to be appropriate for a dance mix.

BTW, I listened to the WAV files through Adam A7s.
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Nut

I would pan the main female vox a teeny tiny touch further left? sounds juicy! I'd like to hear the master.
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Nut

Apogee sounds very clean, I like the RME better though. Seems to hit a lot harder, bass is a lot fuller. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search