The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first recording/mix
Old 16th June 2006
Here for the gear

My first recording/mix

Hi guys

i have just completed one of my first proper recordings and i was after some opinions on how i went and to maybe get some advice for future efforts

for the most part it was done first take with vocals added later and the drums have been left dry at the request of the band

i am mostly interested in the recording/mix side of it not the performance in this one because i just didn't have time to fix the problems in the bands playing (only about 3 hours from set up to mix), and is it close to a standard where i could charge a little bit of money for future demos

thanks alot guys and I look forward to getting some feedback
Attached Files

03-AudioTrack 03.mp3 (3.73 MB, 130 views)

Old 17th June 2006
Here for the gear

gee thanks
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

First impressions:

1. Guitar needs major reworking. Way too muffled. Loose the "chamber" style verb.
2. Snare should be brought up in the mix.
3. Where's the bass guitar?

Vocals sound pretty good... I'd use a diff verb/delay personally...

Vocals and Drums are the strongest elements.
Bass and guitar need the most work.

My quick 2 cents!
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Maniac

drop the verb on the guitar dramaticly and turn it up. it sounds like 1 track about a mile away. that thing deserves to be crankin right behind that vocal. the drums SOUND clear and good, but need more charictor, especially the snare and kick. i like the stereo spread on them.
bass needs to be UP
also, EQ is your bffl
the vocals sound nice. id say bring down the verb a tad, but adjust too taste.
pretty much everything norman said. haha
if you decide to rework it, post it again. id love to see how it comes out if you took our advice.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

I am listening on crappy speakers..on the computer..

but.
It seems very "centered" there's a lot of cymbal action on the outside, but guitar seems real centered. need to pan that out, and make it further up in the mix, as some earlier said. It should drive the song.

The kit sounds good, but seems it could be brought more inward, and the guitars more outward in the mix.

Amd tame the vocals a bit.

Keep in mind, I'm a rook.

Good luck!
Old 17th June 2006
Here for the gear

thanks for the responses guys

can't do much about the crappy verb on the guitar as thats how it went to tape (noob mistake) but i can certainly widen it out and bring it up in the mix (but half the battle was also the crappy guitar and shocking peavy amp that he had)

after listening on my comp at home and not in the studio can see that the drums are a touch wide and maybe need a little more top end to them (or is it better to leave it a little wooly and add some top end in mastering?)

i'll try to rework it this week and repost

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search