The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Panning Advice
Old 1st July 2012
Gear nut

Panning Advice

I'm currently working on a project with a friend of mine. I'll be singing in this song and my friend will be singing also. We will sometimes be singing together and sometimes each one of us will be singing on his own (in short, it is a duet).
How would you do the panning for vocals in duets? Would you keep them centered? Or would you slightly pan one to the left and the other to the right? Or would you automate them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear nut

Anyone??
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Keep vocals center, or keep one in center, and if the other singer is only doing some harmonies one in a while, or doubling, you could double track him and pan hard L and hard R.

I do not like lead vocals that are not centered.

You can keep both in center, should be good too.
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the tip.
Anyone else got any other opinion?
Old 3rd July 2012
Facepalm
If it's a proper duet rather than a lead and backup, pan them slightly apart, as you say.
It really depends on the arrangement.
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

I like some of the old Simon and Garfunkel stuff where they are hard panned opposite of each other. Some Beatles stuff sounds cool with vocals on one side also, and that type of stuff usually translates well to mono. There are no rules, so try out as many different things as possible and do what you think sounds good and fitting to the song. It really depends on the arrangement but I wouldn't go into it with the idea that you have to keep them both centered, though that quite possibly could be what sounds best.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Head

I prefer to keep vocals centered but there is something to be said about stereo imaging in reverbs and delays.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search