The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I will mix your song free - prototyping a new service Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Guru

I will mix your song free - prototyping a new service

alright, i'm sitting on what i believe is a pretty radical innovation for the service of mixing, and i need a few artists/bands willing to be guinea pigs and work with me on a discreet basis while i flesh out the parameters of what i'm offering and what i'll end up charging for it.

if you choose to play this game with me, you'll get a top-shelf, sweet, vibey, analog mix of your track for free. your tune will go thru the likes of api, neve, nicerizer, studer, lexicon, and more... in short, you will like this mix, you will like it a lot. in exchange, you agree to be available to me via email for some minimal q&a while i get the process coherent on my end, and you agree to let me use the mix whenever i need for one strictly limited, clearly defined use: as a finished example to give to potential clients of the new service, so they can see and hear exactly what it is i do and what i'm offering. i will also feature your mix on my website, and include direct links to your personal site in case someone wants to hear more of your music.

if you're interested in this, send me a private message with a link to the song you'd like mixed. it doesn't matter how good the current mix is or isn't, since i'll be remixing it. what i'm looking for is a few well-written, well-performed songs of differing styles, so send me what ya got be it hiphop, nu metal, country, folk, or top 40 pop. truly, you got nothing to lose here.

thanks for listening.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 12th June 2006
amp
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
alright, i'm sitting on what i believe is a pretty radical innovation for the service of mixing, and i need a few artists/bands willing to be guinea pigs and work with me on a discreet basis while i flesh out the parameters of what i'm offering and what i'll end up charging for it.

if you choose to play this game with me, you'll get a top-shelf, sweet, vibey, analog mix of your track for free. your tune will go thru the likes of api, neve, nicerizer, studer, lexicon, and more... in short, you will like this mix, you will like it a lot. in exchange, you agree to be available to me via email for some minimal q&a while i get the process coherent on my end, and you agree to let me use the mix whenever i need for one strictly limited, clearly defined use: as a finished example to give to potential clients of the new service, so they can see and hear exactly what it is i do and what i'm offering. i will also feature your mix on my website, and include direct links to your personal site in case someone wants to hear more of your music.

if you're interested in this, send me a private message with a link to the song you'd like mixed. it doesn't matter how good the current mix is or isn't, since i'll be remixing it. what i'm looking for is a few well-written, well-performed songs of differing styles, so send me what ya got be it hiphop, nu metal, country, folk, or top 40 pop. truly, you got nothing to lose here.

thanks for listening.

gregoire
del ubik

outsourcing the mixing!! i think you can make a ton of money with this. ill be pm' ing you sometime in the near future.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

Fancy this song?

http://www.myspace.com/no1amnesiacs

In a Lonely Place

I am pretty proud of the mix on this one G but if you can use it..... Let us know and will sort something out. Or any of the other 3 songs up there... PM me

Dave
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

Fancy this song?

http://www.myspace.com/no1amnesiacs

In a Lonely Place

I am pretty proud of the mix on this one G but if you can use it..... Let us know and will sort something out. Or any of the other 3 songs up there... PM me

Dave
Old 25th January 2009
Here for the gear

Sounds great what your doing.
My tracks are at myspace.com/sinamatic1.
Let me know if you think you'd be interested in mixing this stuff.

thnX

Beau
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

Note to self: beware of 30 month old posts.
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
Note to self: beware of 30 month old posts.
HAHA
I was not paying attention to that
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Damn it! I was just getting all motivated to finish writing some current stuff there
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Well, if someone presents me with a song and I can visualize how to mix it, I'd be happy to do it for free...

As long as the missus lets me, of course.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

You have any links to mixes youøve all ready done Knightsy?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll upload something hopefully tomorrow, just having a few broadband issues here.

Tell The Truth Telstra!
Old 30th January 2009
Ha I'll even do a song free per artist... it's what I call the drug dealer marketing plan, do one, hopefully you get em hooked.

Samples here:
Ryan O John

most recent artist mid mix:
http://ryanojohn.com/01%20M1b.mp3

previous mix:
http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/03%20The%20...lance%20M3.mp3

previous to that (very rushed):
http://ryanojohn.com/BCKD-HaveYourse...yChristmas.mp3

before that:
http://ryanojohn.com/BCKD/mp3/01%20P...his%20Town.mp3

http://ryanojohn.com/BCKD/mp3/04%20L...%20I%20Try.mp3
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

[quote=ryanojohn;3866467]Ha I'll even do a song free per artist... it's what I call the drug dealer marketing plan, do one, hopefully you get em hooked.

Speaking from experience. The problem with that mentality is you will appear desperate and easy to manipulate, thus people get free mixes, and you get taken advantage of. Then the next time someone comes to you or find work you already devalued the role and worthiness of a mixer. Plus people who go for those deals mainly make horrible music and record it terribly in their bedroom. So you have to spend countless hours fixing every little thing. Plus, for some reason, when you hook people up, the are extremely picky and want a million revisions.
Best,
BT
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

But that's assuming you are bound to mix every file that someone sends you.

If it were me, I'd just vet the tracks first and politely turn down stuff as it 'wasn't my style, sorry chappy'.
Old 31st January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwolf View Post
Speaking from experience. The problem with that mentality is you will appear desperate and easy to manipulate, thus people get free mixes, and you get taken advantage of. Then the next time someone comes to you or find work you already devalued the role and worthiness of a mixer. Plus people who go for those deals mainly make horrible music and record it terribly in their bedroom. So you have to spend countless hours fixing every little thing. Plus, for some reason, when you hook people up, the are extremely picky and want a million revisions.
Best,
BT
I completely see your point.

I've done it a few times, it's usually worked out, but then again I usually am doing it for someone that's already prepared with the idea to pay for me to do it... and I offer to do one free just to ensure they like the work, and to get over the 'maybe' hump. Only once has it not gotten the rest of the album.

But you're totally right, for some odd reason people feel entitled to so much more pickyness when they're being hooked up. Even if you say, hey this was free, they have some excuse to why you should do it anyways...

I think once I've got a reel chock full of great work, I'd be far less likely to offer anything free... Then again, every time I do something better than the last, I feel like all the old stuff is crap compared.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search