The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ok this time a song with vox
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Ok this time a song with vox

This is another song I am prepping for our upcoming album. Its slower and more mellow than the one I originally posted.

I have not done anything to the Vox because they are not necessarily the final, other than a little EQ and some autotune. Most of our vocal takes were done while the singer was sick and/or in one take. So I view most of them as place holders for arrangement and for anything we wish to add to the mix. The finals will be recorded in July.

Any other mix comments or production comments would be welcome.

www.robby-t.com/audio/built_like_you.mp3

Thanks
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Need to add more little parts during the different verses... something that slowly builds... the background sounds a little void. This will also help distinguish between the different verses. Maybe a clean electric with echo hard left and then introduce a counter point hard right in another verse...

What amps are you using? They sound kinda small... I know this is a demo to prepare for the full production in July, so I would start thinking about on how you're going to put together a wall of sound with the guitar tracks.

In general... I think the song is good... like you mentioned, additional vocals and harmonies will really benefit the song.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Well, we are thinking about cello or strings in the verses possibly. Another ethereal guitar part could be cool though too. The guitars, drums, and bass are not going to be rerecorded, although they could maybe be supplemented. We're really not going for the "wall of guitars sound" on this one. We just want the straight up Vox amp sound that we have. I could maybe see something with more low mids layered behind these though.

Its a really a simple song and the vocal line will be the main focus.

I do appreciate the comments and feel free to elaborate further if you really think what I said is a step in the wrong direction.

Beez
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezoboy
Well, we are thinking about cello or strings in the verses possibly. Another ethereal guitar part could be cool though too. The guitars, drums, and bass are not going to be rerecorded, although they could maybe be supplemented. We're really not going for the "wall of guitars sound" on this one. We just want the straight up Vox amp sound that we have. I could maybe see something with more low mids layered behind these though.
Gotcha... but, your current tone, IMO, does not have that characteristic VOX chime. Top Boost or Pre-Top Boost? Are you using a VOX... if so, which one? Also, what guitar are you using? I'm definitely an armchair producer/engineer, but when it comes to guitar tone, I've played just about everything out there... boutique or other wise. I would advise retracking the guitar because the VOX tone will definitely compliment the song, but I don't believe you've captured that tone in the demo.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Well it is a vox pathfinder. It was however used with a 4x12 extension cab. To me the guitars sound similar to earlier Incubus. Thats kind of what I consider to be a Vox tone. Of course, I am a drummer and not a guitarist. So I can't really argue too much.

Can you give me a song that is your idea of a vox tone for reference?

Thanks again,

Beez
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

So many! Ha!

Queen (everything, especially their earlier stuff)
U2 (everything, especially their earlier stuff)
Brad Paisley (he uses a Dr Z Stang Ray that modeled after a Pre-Top Boost)
Paul Macartney (Back in the US Live DVD... they use Divided by 13 amps that have that great VOX chime)
Beatles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

The guy in Incubus actually uses a Mesa Boogie... not really the VOX AC30 sound.

VOX Pathfinder, IMO, is not going to get you there... I'd look for a used VOX AC30 CC... these are reissues, so you're not paying those vintage prices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search