The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock Demo / Do your worst please
Old 30th May 2006
Here for the gear

Rock Demo / Do your worst please

Hi, Iv'e been working on some demos for a few months, my basic plan was to put 12 demos together then find a singer to write material for them with a view to record three songs to release at the end of the year. We'll iv'e gotten that far which is a miracle in itself and am ready to start re recording soon.

Was wondering if some you Slutz could take a listen of one of my demos and give me some feedback. Obviously I have my own ideas on what I need to improve but i'd really appreciate some honest constructive critisim. The demo is minus vox and solo, just drums/bass/guitar.

http://www.mondoweirdo.co.nz/1_Living_Without.mp3

Cheers
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

You need to tighten up the song... sounds like you're struggling to keep everything in time.

The entire composition lacks punch. Kick drum is almost non-existant and totally lost in the track. The high hat is way too dominant... it's stepping all over the snare, which itself sounds lifeless.

What guitar amp are you using? The guitar lacks complexity, chunk, and dynamics.

I know this is just a demo, but if you're going to use this demo to shop around for gigs and such, you need to spend a little more time with getting your tones right. Especially the guitar tones since those are what driving the song.
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Rock Demo

Hey and thanks for the comments. The guitar amp is a Framus Dragon, I also have a Marshall 25th Jubilee. I mic'd it with a 57. It is also DI'd with the Amplitube 1 plugin.
The drums are made up of Drum Kit from Hell with a little help from the Korg M1 kick and snare.

Im not using this demo for anything other than getting a singer to come up with ideas to.

Keep it comming

Ta
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta77se
Hey and thanks for the comments. The guitar amp is a Framus Dragon, I also have a Marshall 25th Jubilee. I mic'd it with a 57. It is also DI'd with the Amplitube 1 plugin.
The drums are made up of Drum Kit from Hell with a little help from the Korg M1 kick and snare.

Im not using this demo for anything other than getting a singer to come up with ideas to.

Keep it comming

Ta
So when you re-track the song, are you going to engineer it?

It seem like you have the right tools... DKFH is actually a very nice sounding virtual drum... I wouldn't use the M1 kick and snare... use the DFH for everything.

Framus and Marshall are nice... again, when you re-track, spend a little more time getting a tight guitar tone.
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

Rock Demo

Yep, im gonna be "engineering" it. To me the DKFH kicks on there own don't have enough punch and sub. I found some 808 kick samples that work well as layers. But I quite like the M1 drums under there aswell sort of gives it an 80's hit. Other gear I have is a TL Audio 5051, Waves SSL and Dyna Audio BM5a.

Oh sorry this one dos'nt have the Korg M1 layer kick and snare...it's just DKFH.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search