The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Song entirely tracked and mixed on Neve Genesys: please listen and put your opinion
Old 26th April 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Song entirely tracked and mixed on Neve Genesys: please listen and put your opinion

I just made a rough mix of a song i entirely tracked on a 16 channel Neve Genesys.
It's a live session of great jazz band that performed together in a 30 square foot ca. room
Genesys has transformer balanced pre and i used 1084 eq's here and there.
Converter: Apogee Symphony Ad/Da
Please let me know what do you think about sound


http://soundcloud.com/renato-de-carl...iunata-mix-002
Old 26th April 2012
  #2
Here for the gear
 
Cjoe707's Avatar
 

I just listened to it through my laptop speakers and i think it sounds nice and full. good work.
Old 26th April 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mikeyman's Avatar
 

boy that sounds beautiful.Doesn't sound live
what does that board cost?
Old 26th April 2012
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
boy that sounds beautiful.Doesn't sound live
what does that board cost?
When i asked , studio owner told me he paid 65000 euro
It has 8 eq's 8 dynamics total recall automation and transformer on 8 pre's
This is 1st time i work on a Genesys and i must say pre's are amazing, and eq's are beautiful
For tracking this baby is a killer console.
I have not used dynamics but i have seen there are also gate and expander!!
I do not remember so a rich sound with a Neve VR i worked 2 years ago
Also i do not used a neve 1073 pair there was in studio, for this session. We too loved Genesys pre's.
Old 26th April 2012
  #5
That sound is wonderful !

Maybe the Drums a little louder (+1dB) in the middle of the song (3:44 - 5:20).

Maybe the drums a little bit more on the right side, the bass a little bit on the left side. Or reverse. For more space and live feeling.

That's my ideas. Try it.....

R.
Old 26th April 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
lakeshorephatty's Avatar
 

In general I would say the mix is lacking a little top end.

Fairly balanced overall, but there is a bit of a "blanket" over the sound. Probably just needs some careful cutting of the eq in the 250-800hz range.

I would like to hear a bit more air on everything. If there are room mics I would like to hear more of them.

Drums need a lot more presence. Definitely volume overall but also I want to hear the wood of the drums more and certainly quite a bit more top end in the kit, whereas the piano and bass wouldn't require quite as much up top.

I wish you had provided a file so I could mess with it a little here. Perhaps the console is awesome and the monitoring is leading to the dull mix?

Russell
Old 26th April 2012
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Another song
Sax is Xavier Girotto : a man with a great heart

Flowers .01 01 by Renato de Carlo on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 26th April 2012
  #8
Also great !

Love your Bass sound.
What is the Instrument/Amp/Di set-up.
How did you record that.
Thanks.

R.
Old 26th April 2012
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
That sound is wonderful !

Maybe the Drums a little louder (+1dB) in the middle of the song (3:44 - 5:20).

Maybe the drums a little bit more on the right side, the bass a little bit on the left side. Or reverse. For more space and live feeling.

That's my ideas. Try it.....

R.
Hi Rob,
thank you for your advices.
I have 10 songs to mix and yesterday in 4-5 hours i just open sessions and just fixed some things, but mixing is booked for the next week.
And yes i think i will pan like you said for more liveness
Old 26th April 2012
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
In general I would say the mix is lacking a little top end.

Fairly balanced overall, but there is a bit of a "blanket" over the sound. Probably just needs some careful cutting of the eq in the 250-800hz range.

I would like to hear a bit more air on everything. If there are room mics I would like to hear more of them.

Drums need a lot more presence. Definitely volume overall but also I want to hear the wood of the drums more and certainly quite a bit more top end in the kit, whereas the piano and bass wouldn't require quite as much up top.

I wish you had provided a file so I could mess with it a little here. Perhaps the console is awesome and the monitoring is leading to the dull mix?

Russell
Hi Russell,
This is 95% only tracking with a little adjusting to give some pre-mixes to producer.
What i wanted to point out was sound of console for tracking, as i'm amazed and wanted to audit here
Old 27th April 2012
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Also great !

Love your Bass sound.
What is the Instrument/Amp/Di set-up.
How did you record that.
Thanks.

R.
Dingwall abz 5 (bass)
Head: tc electronics rebel 450
Cabinet gallien krueger 112 Neo

Signal directly in the Hi-Z input of the Genesys
Old 27th April 2012
  #12
Thank you very much for the answer !

R.
Old 28th April 2012
  #13
Harmless Wacko
 

Sounds like a solid recording with a nicely done "audibility mix".

Digging the ensemble. The piano run at 5:08 is hilariously great. The angular ascending bit leading up to it is also cracking me up.

Gotta love Jazz. Something I have RARELY gotten to record for profit in the last 3 decades.

Closest I ever seem to get is some flavor of fusion.

Which, depending on the "syrup to pepper ratio" in the writing and playing, can be a fate worse than death.

HOHOHO.

Anyhoo... Hope yer having a blast.

Kudos.

SM.

PS. I don't mind the "rounded" top end of the provided audio file at all.

I think a whole lotta modern Jazz recordings are WAY too bright/hard. Always in the guise of "Oh no... it's actually just VERY CLEAR".

Crash.

Two VERY DIFFERENT, and routinely confused items in my humble estimation.
Old 28th April 2012
  #14
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
In general I would say the mix is lacking a little top end.

Fairly balanced overall, but there is a bit of a "blanket" over the sound. Probably just needs some careful cutting of the eq in the 250-800hz range.

I would like to hear a bit more air on everything. If there are room mics I would like to hear more of them.

Drums need a lot more presence. Definitely volume overall but also I want to hear the wood of the drums more and certainly quite a bit more top end in the kit, whereas the piano and bass wouldn't require quite as much up top.

I wish you had provided a file so I could mess with it a little here. Perhaps the console is awesome and the monitoring is leading to the dull mix?

Russell
.

I agree with this.

Nice job, though! And really nice playing by all.

As Slippy says, it's been AGES since I've tracked and mixed any jazz. I used to do it all the time.

...In fact, my first major label recordings as an engineer were jazz - YEARS ago.

Cheers and enjoy!

.
Old 28th April 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
Love it. Congrats. Hate hyped treble in jazz recordings. Unnatural to me.
Old 28th April 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
This sounds amazing man! What a beautiful sound that console has I would love to hear some vocals tracked through it if you dont mind whenever you get the chance! Maybe a transparent mic so we can hear more of the console and its pres!!! Nice job tracking
Old 28th April 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Kid's Avatar
 

Great !!!

I think the sound is sublime !!!

Neve all the way for me -

If our 88RS sounds as good I'll be happy :-)

Andy
Analogue Baby - World-Class Surround-Capable Mixing & Tracking Facility
Old 28th April 2012
  #18
Here for the gear
 

I'm very happy for your appreciation.
Analog Kid, your studio is a dream!!!!
You realized one of the best world class studio i ever seen!
And 88RS is the more beautiful console ever
I have not worked on it but it seems that Genesys has same sound in the routing and central section.
Your estimation is particularly exciting.

P.S. Boost in 250-700 Hz is something there was in the room that was about 80 cubic meters, but nothing that we can not cut out.

Then i want underscore how good Symphony converter worked.
Tracking On Genesys we used External route selection of Genesys, so we can at the same time monitoring live stage and converted signals and we did not hear differences. ( Routing on Genesys is beautiful and really complete)
Old 3rd May 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Sinewave's Avatar
 

Quote:
PS. I don't mind the "rounded" top end of the provided audio file at all.

I think a whole lotta modern Jazz recordings are WAY too bright/hard. Always in the guise of "Oh no... it's actually just VERY CLEAR".
Agreed, this sound is great keep it up.
Old 4th May 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 

I would agree that the drums are a little dull and thuddy sounding (though quite well played), but man that piano sound is gorgeous!!! Congrats, seriously. It has a beautifully rounded warm sound reminiscent of "Gonsales Solo Piano" and also has an incredible sense of 3D space. I feel like I am in the room.

Please tell me more about tracking the piano.

Best,
Chris
Old 4th May 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Yes. This is a beautiful mix. Bass tone is just fabulous (is it the Neve or the player?). The highs on the drums aren't as fabricated as some modern jazz mixes but this is what will set you apart from the crowd. Very natural sounding, IMO. Killer musicianship too. Haven't heard anything on the jazz stations this moving in years. Keep up the great work.
Old 4th May 2012
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Hey
i'm proud of your consensus
About sound i think musicians are the big part of the beauty.
But for the piano i must say that Neve give 3d i have not with other pres.
And also i must confirm that when i track on a great console i have a much more beautiful sound then what i have when track with outboard pres also if pres are same that i have in the console.
And Symphony converter preserved 3d and analog feel.
Old 4th May 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
bassjam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLover View Post
Hey
i'm proud of your consensus
About sound i think musicians are the big part of the beauty.
But for the piano i must say that Neve give 3d i have not with other pres.
And also i must confirm that when i track on a great console i have a much more beautiful sound then what i have when track with outboard pres also if pres are same that i have in the console.
And Symphony converter preserved 3d and analog feel.
You should try the optional Neve AD/DA converter cards that are an option on the Genesys, they are amazing converters!
Old 4th May 2012
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
You should try the optional Neve AD/DA converter cards that are an option on the Genesys, they are amazing converters!
Wow
Do you know Symphony converter?
Do you think Genesys converter are still better?
If i'm not wrong Ams Neve had engineers that then converged to Prism Sound
Old 4th May 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
bassjam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLover View Post
Wow
Do you know Symphony converter?
Do you think Genesys converter are still better?
If i'm not wrong Ams Neve had engineers that then converged to Prism Sound
Yes I have heard the Symphony converters and yes I think the Neve converter cards are better!

Yes the Prism guys are ex AMS-Neve engineers.
Old 4th May 2012
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Yes I have heard the Symphony converters and yes I think the Neve converter cards are better!

Yes the Prism guys are ex AMS-Neve engineers.
So i can think that Genesys converters are sonically close to Prism ada8xr or has another sound?
Old 5th May 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
bassjam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLover View Post
So i can think that Genesys converters are sonically close to Prism ada8xr or has another sound?
I wouldn't compare them to any other converter apart from the converter in the 1073DPD.

They are very open and big sounding. They allow the headroom and mojo of the Neve to transfer beautifully.

The other amazing feature is that the converter cards have a FireWire port to connect the Genesys to protools. All the AD/DA goes down the one cable! Beautiful!
Old 5th May 2012
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
I wouldn't compare them to any other converter apart from the converter in the 1073DPD.

They are very open and big sounding. They allow the headroom and mojo of the Neve to transfer beautifully.

The other amazing feature is that the converter cards have a FireWire port to connect the Genesys to protools. All the AD/DA goes down the one cable! Beautiful!
But i think that i need at least an Avid Digital I/O interface to connect to protools hdx. Am i wrong?
Old 5th May 2012
  #29
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
I wouldn't compare them to any other converter apart from the converter in the 1073DPD.
1073 DPD has same converter?
I worked on and i found Symphony sonically close , but a bit better in dynamic range.
Also i worked on Prism ada8xr and Symphony is in the same league, but I prefer symphony sound texture.
Old 8th May 2013
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Had a listen to the recording and it is excellant, looks like the Neve Genesys is a master piece. Love your work and great players. Would like to know what mics were used and layout if you get a chance.

Kind Regards
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump