The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Some help please?
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Some help please?

Ok so I put this track together pretty quick for a little project I'm working on in college.

I have a hard time getting my mixes to sound anywhere near as good as my favourite CDs.

I know this is a long stretch but I'd like to reach a little higher up the scale than I'm currently at. I'm on a music production course but I'm now convinced the lecturers dont know what they're talking about. Their approach to mixing and EQ'ing is turn up any frequency on say the kick to say 12db if it sounds good. I dont agree with this but whatever.

Anyway heres the track. I understand that for a song to sound like a pro song it has to be the full package. The tune has to be there, the production, the mixing and everything else.

I'm also having a hard time with the loudness of my mixes, after doing a lot of reading I've read many times that pro mixes dont sound a lot different after mastering so I'm looking for the missing link.

I've got a lot to learn but you can pick this track to bits,

Thanks,
Attached Files

Jazz.mp3 (1.79 MB, 137 views)

Old 26th May 2006
Here for the gear

Well... I ain't no expert compared to others in here (also circling the 'education vs experience' level of things) but 2 things strike me almost immediately:-

1) There's a lot of mud in the bass freqs that could do with getting cleaned. The bass guitar feels like it's being played next door rather than with the rest of the band! Along a similar line I don't like the Kick that much either. Very rounded to me rather than a crisp hit.

2)The vox in the first half of the clip could do with being brought up in level just a bit. Cleaning up the low end may produce the same effect.

All the best tae ye!
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply.

The kick itself doesnt have much low end so I layered it with an 808 sub.

The bass guitar patch is from a Reason sampler. I liked the sound of the bass but agree it sounds muddy. I tried taking out some of the low mids but it makes the bass sound tiny.

Its very obvious to me now that the vox in the verse needs brought up some.

I knew from the start I'd have a problem getting the bottom end tight after I introduced the 808 sub.

Anything else?
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Anybody else?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Try a different sounding hand clap if you can. Don't bring the snare and the kick in until :50 (that's when the shaker comes in). BUILD THE SONG! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SONG!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic
Try a different sounding hand clap if you can. Don't bring the snare and the kick in until :50 (that's when the shaker comes in). BUILD THE SONG! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SONG!
Hey thanks for your input.

I tried this but it didn't sound right. The verse without drums sounded quite boring and just as though it needed the drums. I also tried a few hand claps but thats the best sounding one I have.

Anything else?
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOHStudios
Main vocals need revisiting. They sound a little scratchy (artist's voice?). Also, the lead vocal could be brought up a little in the beginning.

Doc
Hey Doc,

I'll share a little more info on the track.

I played everthing from Reason rewired to PT except guitars which were a Gibson through Amplitube although I'm not much of a guitar plater.

Vocals, I was trying out the air vocal trick putting the lead on a mult and whacking up lots of 16khz compressing it a whole lot then fading it up under the original lead. I think the trouble is because theres no a whole lot going on in the verse, this type of air doesnt suit at that point so maybe I should bring up some more lows.

Its me singing btw, like I said I just knocked this track together quick for some experimenting and to help me get better at mixing.

Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search