The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This is The hardest mix of my LIFE
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

This is The hardest mix of my LIFE

I did the vocals on this, and produced the beat, and am in the mixing stages.. I've mixed this song 4 times and this is what i've got.. I can't believe how HARD this song has been. It's mostly because all of the sounds, including my voice are huge and very midbassy. I need help figuring out what should dominate which frequencies. PLEASE help. Here's the song details..

Pop/Rnb Vocals w/ Hip Hop Beat
Male Vocalist

Thanks a lot!

-Donovan
Attached Files
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I would try to add a pitch +/- (chorus) effect to the lead vocals - To fatten up. The mix sounds great.
Old 22nd May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

I also think the mix sounds cool

I am curious what you have used for tracking the voice ?

And also, I am curious what processing is on the BEAT , the Vocal and the mix in general..

Also - the way you work , what's it recorded in... what medium, what console, if, and all that ...If you like to share, I'd appreciate that.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Only listened through cans, but it sounds great!

Ruphus
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I also think it's a nice mix. It could use a kick-ass bass coming in on the second chorus.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds cool, catchy hooks as well. I like the warmth and smoothness of the recording, keep it up it's almost there. The vocal needs that little something but I can't quantify it, maybe a u87 through an 1176...

bcgood
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

What are you talking about????

Your mix is fat.... forget worrying too much. It's when you get too close to something that you start too think it sounds like fart....

Great job,
keep posting that action, it's inspiring....
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Fist up stress less - it's sounding pretty dope.

I think the vocal is lacking a certain conviction though.

This happens to me sometimes - if you're producing your own tracks, you start to think too much - and the vocal performance can lose that soul.

When you lay down the vocal, you need to get that magic in there. You need a bit more pain in your voice.

Good work though! I think the mix is fine (but I only listend on headphones).

Cheers - Rez
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

the mix sounds great. lead vocals definitly need a boost in power/low freqs. definitly comming through too thin for a song like this. other than that, great job.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Here's what I had in mind....
Attached Files

ItsYou_GYM.mp3 (4.16 MB, 138 views)

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Turn up the bass....a lot.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

OK when I work on this tomorrow I'm gonna fatten up the vox and add a bass line, as well as turn up the 808ness.. I'll update you tomorrow! I'll also tryout the chorus stuff.

-Donovan
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

you definitely need a deep bass over the top of the mix. Thats only thing missing (not missing actually, but could enhance a lot in my opinion...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search