The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One Song Every Day :)
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Smile One Song Every Day :)

a crazy new years resolution took shape over last december i was driving around, (in dec. 05) running errands and listening to 91.5FM WBEZ Chicago. they were talking about a band that had created One Song a Week. they discussed the challenges and issues related to creating, recording, and releasing a song every week.

that idea kind of sat in my mind for a couple of weeks...

i thought about raising the stakes, and mulled it over, "Could someone write One Song Every Day?" - it just seems to be an absolutely zany thought, and it seems to be such a monumental task.

all of the songs are/will be available for download as MP3s - Download all 365

i am up to about 140 - so far

http://www.OneSongEveryDay.com

take care and please listen in - i want these songs to be heard and passed onto friends

-best
michael droste

p.s.
just finished today's song

http://www.onesongeveryday.com/songs...20Together.mp3
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Good luck with it, but I beleive the top writers in the world often have up to 3-4 writing sessions booked a day, Id say they would be co-writes and Im sure they dont record them in that one day.

Seems like a lot of work, hope it pays off.
I often write and demo 2 songs in a day but not every day:-)
cheers
Chymer
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Interesting. Somehow, I came upon an album a day thing a while back. I can't remember if I listened to any of it though. They also didn't make it where you had to do it everyday, though.

Personally, I feel such constraints could only compromise quality, and I prefer quality over quantity. The bulk of a song often comes quickly, but they usually benefit from some added polishing down the road.

It depends on your goals too, though - I probably wouldn't get as big a kick out of Dim Light's stuff, for instance, if it was less spontaneous.

I didn't listen to any of your stuff yet but I'm about to listen to the newest one...
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

I found it got kind of boring. I'm pretty partial to vocal music though.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bach told his students to write every day, and I think it's good to write as much as you can. I also think it gets better the more you do it. A song a day seems like a lot though, at least with recording. For example, you're tune has some cool movement, but I think the groove could be better. The drums are sequenced well, but I think a real bass part with a little more improvisation would serve the song better.

It's cool that you're trying to write so much, and it's all about your own workflow. I can usually write and record (mostly) a song a week, but sometimes I need to spend more time on a song, either with the lyrics or recording.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I write 4 songs a day with my eyelids glued to my table and my both hands tied to the ceiling. I also moved my studio to a kindergarten. It's really hard to write with all the noise. I think your songs clearly shows that it's almost impossible to write good music everyday... I like the song you posted here, reminded me of Donald Fagen. I like the idea and I want to raise my fist and scream keep it up man! Good luck with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search