The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bombastic rock: your comments are appreciated!
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

Bombastic rock: your comments are appreciated!

As a long time lurker, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their time and knowledge!

What do you think about this tune, production, mix?

You can hit me hard, I just want to improve what I am doing with this!!

Thanks for your input.

http://blueleopardaudio.com/nikki510.mp3
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

big is good

Hey, I really liked the song - and the recording was great too. I think there is scope to do more with the electric guitar break, and you could add more tempo changes to mix it up a little, but those are things you could do, not things you need to do.

Some recording notes would be great - the drum sounds are tight and the vocals are well positioned in the mix - what'd ya use, how did you do it? etc...
Old 21st May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmDingo

Some recording notes would be great - the drum sounds are tight and the vocals are well positioned in the mix - what'd ya use, how did you do it? etc...
Hey,
Thanks for the listen and the positive feedback. Some recording notes...well you mentioned the drums. Yamaha recording custom kit with

kick in/out -Audix d6/ Soundeluxe 195 into API 3124
snare top/bottom-57/ Blue Dragonfly also into the 3124

rack toms-421s
floor tom-tlm170 (slightly bashed -lol !!)
OHs-Josephson C42s
room-B+K omnis (4006?)

these mics all go into a CraneSong Spider. I use two Kurzweil KSP8s as A/Ds once the Spider is full. These all go into a RME9652 and into Nuendo on a Mac.

For mix, I am really into the KSP8s. I have been using them for a long time (to be honest, I worked for Kurz for 10 years and did lots of the development for it). The two KSP8s and a DA16 go into a Neotek Elite. I think there is a tiny amount of EMT140 on the snare.

Vox are recorded with either a Blue Bottle, Sony C800 (not a G), or in some cases TLM170, using either the api or spider pres, and a Distressor. There are a lot of vox in there!

I was really wondering what people would think about the rhythm guitar sounds. Its an Ibanez V into a ToneMaster head into a Mesa DR 2x12 cab. Mics? hard to say. Some typical combination of the above mentioned mics I'm sure. I think its a really gnarly sound, and I really dont know if I like it or not!!! Guitar leads are a cheap Hohner hollow body into a Marshall Silver Jubilee head.https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image.../nu/icon30.gif

I really like the WaveArts plug ins, and used the Multi Dynamics and Final Plug on the mix. I will let my ME choose between that version and then "clean" version, but I was curious what the Gearslutz would think about it.

I'd still love to hear any other comments!!! help? criticisms?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the feel. It's loose and has a nice vibe. That's important. The break down at the end is nice.

I think the rhythm guitar sound is excellent. Meaty but never gets in the way. I think the mix is really toppy, though. It's pretty distracting to me by the end, but what do I know?

Good work, though.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I can't listen to this - over compressed - feels like I have a cold - the highs are way too boosted! I have to turn this off now...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The vocals and guitars sound really "cheap"...not sure what you did, but it's not working.

Also, the vocals are out of tune in a lot of places...

the drums need more flavor, and tone in general. They're really "weak" sounding..

just my thoughts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search