The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Haight - Work in Progress! Your Suggestions?
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

The Haight - Work in Progress! Your Suggestions?

While I have recorded in the past, ive not done much but demo stuff. I finally decided to get down to business and do a serious recording myself. It takes all day huh? And then sometimes you gotta start all over again! =] This is my first attempt at a serious recording.

I recorded this today. This is my first mixdown. After listening too it, its clear Ive got to at least re-record the bass track, its over modulating in parts. As for the rest, I'm going to add some more vocals, and maybe re-do a couple. Myabe the guitars need some eqing? They sound good on my 20/20's but they sound a little high in the 300 area in my home speekers. Did this come out super loud or is just me?

Let me know what you think! And any suggestions would be awesome!

-Josh

p.s. also posted this on Recordingproject..
Attached Files

thehaight-work-in-progress-1.mp3 (3.34 MB, 88 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've always found the Events I've heard to be kinda questionable in the 200-300 range. I'd make sure you A/B your mixes with different speakers/environments throughout the process, especially if you're just starting out.

I'd like the vocals to be stronger at parts, I'd like to hear you open up more.

What bass track?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=AlexLakis]I've always found the Events I've heard to be kinda questionable in the 200-300 range. /QUOTE]

Agreed. I cant hear the boomy-ness that I hear in my car and on my other speekers. I have a set of Bose cube speekers combined with a sub that I use as a refferance just becuase I know how they sound. And its really boomy in the 200-300 range.. These events are not revealing that. I ust need more practice with what a good mix souds like on the events and I should be able to mix on them just fine.

What did you mean about the bass track?

-Josh
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, not only does the bass not play an important role in the song (songwriting and arrangement-wise,) but it's pretty far back and subdued in the mix. In fact, on the computer speakers I was listening on at the time, I didn't even notice there WAS a bass track until I sat down in front of the computer. The song doesn't really need it as it's arranged right now, just vocal and acoustic is fine, but if you're gonna elaborate the arrangement, you might wanna beef it up a bit. I'll listen to it in the studio if I get a chance today, I'll be able to hear the bass better there...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search