The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Sum
Old 15th May 2006
The Sum

hello all. I have a new song from my band THE SUM and was wanting to get some last minute imput before I print this thing. Let me know what you think. Hope you like.
Attached Files

everyone-oxfordreverb.mp3 (3.71 MB, 151 views)

Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Played it twice - I'd EQ the kick so there is less smack and more beef, it distracts me from the rest of the track where its at now - and the mando part the first time it comes in is a bit loud. Bring the LV up maybe 1-1.5dB overall so it isn't fighting the end of the song when all the candy is playin. She has a great vocal sound and that should really be up there. Just my $.02
Old 15th May 2006
thanks. I would agree with the kik sound.

Anyone else?
Old 15th May 2006
shows a man sum luv
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think all instruments are cool - the kick is fresh - like it a lot... The lead vocals are a little too shinny boosted in the highs - but just a little - I would round them off just a little--> Fresh sound. Like the mix! Good work. Cool song and arrangement. The snare is a little thin for my taste. I really like the space around the vocals and the levels in the mix.

Impressed!
Old 15th May 2006
thanks for your input.

My main concern was that the vocals were not connecting to the mix very well. Any thoughts on that? Maybe rolling the highs off a bit might fix the problem.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
The snare is a little thin for my taste. I really like the space around the vocals and the levels in the mix.

Impressed!
would you happen to have a thick sounding snare sample that might be appropriate?
Yes?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear
I love the singer..band is boring though. not enough dynamics or action to the mix..this sounds adult contemporary to me..it could rock more..the vocal melodies are awesome.

If you are going for laid back adult contemporary, ignore what i just said
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris777
would you happen to have a thick sounding snare sample that might be appropriate?
Yes?
Let me check... I'll get back to you...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Possibly volume automate the sss's , f's , and t's... and then you could probably leave the vocal eq alone. Or a de-esser might be the quick route.

Nice sound.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

You got PM!
Old 15th May 2006
Dim light

thanks!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Have fun bro! tutt
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I love the singer..band is boring though. not enough dynamics or action to the mix..this sounds adult contemporary to me..it could rock more..the vocal melodies are awesome.

If you are going for laid back adult contemporary, ignore what i just said
well. adult contemporary isnt exactly what we were going for but it is what it is a guess.
what suggestions would you make to make the song a bit more youthfully relevent.

thanks again for response
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
ok ..listening again now....ahhh, killer vocals.

The piano intro just puts everything in slow down mode...the drums are way too soft and the beat is too bare..Id personally like to hear a beat that is a little more aggressive with more of a groove to it. There are some nice little melodies that come in at the 2nd chorus..im still thinking what I would do..maybe add synths and guitars and rock it out a little more..its a mellow vocal, but it has a an uplifting chorus that could be bigger and more exciting.

Maybe it should have a slutz remix, where people tweak it up in different ways...That would be fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search